shape
carat
color
clarity

What would I do without PS? (Hair and makeup trial - Joyce Luck)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 5:41:27 PM
Author: GarysBride
btw i work at trader joes and if you would like to special order certain flowers let me know and ill tell you what to do! im getting all my flowers from trader joes! im also doing my own flowers so its a great alternative and cheap! plus my discount makes it worth while! where are you gettin married at TG?
Oh, I''d really appreciate it. It may mean that the girls may not have to go all the way to downtown flower mart. Yes, please do let me know...

I am getting married on the beach, here in the South Bay (southern california). Fast and simple...I''m even wearing beaded white flip flops!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hey y''all, don''t mean to hijack!!

GB: Where were you a couple of months ago??
19.gif

My flower needs are simple. I''m going nuts with my florist- She''s kinda unresponsive and it''s driving me crazy. I already paid my deposit, but am seriously considering chucking it and sending my gals to TJ that morning to get flowers. (i''m getting married in Temecula- I know you''re from SD!)

Only thing that''s stopping me is that a friend did DIY flowers for her wedding last year, and it was hell. I''d rather go get a massage that day than do my flowers!

TG- you should make a trip to the L.A flower mart and check out all the different kinds of flowers. Gerbera daisies sound perfect for you!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
whew sorry girls it took me awhile to reply i actually work at the trader joes in pacific beach! im also doing my fiance''s sisters wedding flowers there getting married in december down in south bay too! let me know what you need and when and I will be happy to help in anyway possible I love doing bouquets and stuff I used towork in a flower shop before trader joes it was HELL but i learned alot!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 5:50:38 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

19.gif

My flower needs are simple. I''m going nuts with my florist- She''s kinda unresponsive and it''s driving me crazy. I already paid my deposit, but am seriously considering chucking it and sending my gals to TJ that morning to get flowers. (i''m getting married in Temecula- I know you''re from SD!)

Only thing that''s stopping me is that a friend did DIY flowers for her wedding last year, and it was hell. I''d rather go get a massage that day than do my flowers!

TG- you should make a trip to the L.A flower mart and check out all the different kinds of flowers. Gerbera daisies sound perfect for you!
Hijack away!!!
1.gif
How many guests are you having Chargergrrl? If I remember correctly your wedding is at the winery and isn''t going to be that big? I wouldn''t DIY unless it''s a small group. We will have 7 tables, plus our sweetheart''s.

Yeah, I guess I will have to go and check it out. I don''t even know where it is, so I will google it.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
I also love this idea there floating in water and the plus side there low enough you can definitly see over them!
kmd_redflower.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is nice...but I bet those trays aren''t cheap (if they are glass).

So any specifics on ordering from TJs? Do I go in and just talk to the manager?

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
which trader joes will you be going to? lets start there then i can tell you who to talk to

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
um...probably Torrance. Don''t know which one it it''s called, but it''s in BEST Plaza and used to be old town mall.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
ya I dont know how much the trays are but I plan to find out!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 6:07:00 PM
Author: TravelingGal
um...probably Torrance. Don''t know which one it it''s called, but it''s in BEST Plaza and used to be old town mall.

ahhh, that was my "old" TJ''s
7.gif
It''s on Hawthorne Ave

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
are you getting married in south bay sd or north of there?
ok I would suggest calling the trader joes and asking for the person who writes the flower order and if there not there ask to talk to the first mate and place your order and be very specific on the date you want them, alot of people dont realise that we get flowers in everyday and dont give the date there picking them up! I would suggest picking them up 2 days in advance. And since your thinking of orchids those are easy keepers.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 5:58:09 PM

19.gif

Hijack away!!!
1.gif
How many guests are you having Chargergrrl? If I remember correctly your wedding is at the winery and isn''t going to be that big? I wouldn''t DIY unless it''s a small group. We will have 7 tables, plus our sweetheart''s.

Yeah, I guess I will have to go and check it out. I don''t even know where it is, so I will google it.
Just finished the guest count- we ended up at 74
36.gif
. Seven tables of 10 guests, and a head table of 6. Very similar to yours!

I''m not doing flower centerpieces, just hurricane lamps, votives, and rose petals. The reception will be in the barrel/tasting room, so I envisioned a ton of candlelight. The flowers will be just "personals"- bouquets, bouts, corsages, etc...

I know the florist will come thru in the end. It''s just such a pain to get a hold of her!

YES- go check out the flower mart. it''s a bit overwhelming, but it will help you to see lots of flowers in person. When I lived in the SB, I would shoot up the 110, take 10e, exit at Maple, and you''re there!

http://www.laflowerdistrict.com/

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 6:21:13 PM

Date: 9/12/2006 5:58:09 PM

19.gif

Hijack away!!!
1.gif

Just finished the guest count- we ended up at 74
36.gif
. Seven tables of 10 guests, and a head table of 6. Very similar to yours!

I''m not doing flower centerpieces, just hurricane lamps, votives, and rose petals. The reception will be in the barrel/tasting room, so I envisioned a ton of candlelight. The flowers will be just ''personals''- bouquets, bouts, corsages, etc...

I know the florist will come thru in the end. It''s just such a pain to get a hold of her!

YES- go check out the flower mart. it''s a bit overwhelming, but it will help you to see lots of flowers in person. When I lived in the SB, I would shoot up the 110, take 10e, exit at Maple, and you''re there!

http://www.laflowerdistrict.com/
Thanks GarysBride and ChargerGrrl. I will see what we can do. Garysbride, South Bay here in L.A. means the Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance area beaches........

I actually managed to only have 51 guests. 2 more than our targeted goal...not bad eh?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 5:13:44 PM
Thanks Dee...

And thanks Codex. I wasn't going to do flowers (don't care for them) but my friend says she and her friend can do them for cheap. Never seen their work, but I guess I just gotta go with it. I'll check out your florist too though...if you don't mind my asking, how much did you spend? We only have 7 small tables, plus sweetheart's so not too much (which is why I think I procrastinated).

If you go on their website, my wedding looks a lot like the pictures they have. 300 guests so 30 tables. $3000 spent, but that included all the flowers (cept the centerpieces, and it was a LOT of flowers), decorations including that big fancy thing behind the head table, chair covers, etc.

If you don't plan on having lots of flowers, I'd do the LA Flower mart as well. That's what we did. Ordered early (you're fine in terms of time if you order now), then picked up the day before and spent the day and nite before the wedding preparing the flowers (among other things). We did about 30 boutineers and the MOH was amazing as she did the centerpieces for all 30 tables by herself. If you've only got 7 tables, it won't take you that long.

I can't find it, but there was this really long thread where people posted pics of their wedding. Mine are in there and I believe there's a shot of our centerpieces in it. Long vase with some flowers in it. Pretty cheap I think. Everything was bought at the LA Flower Mart from a couple different vendors. For our SF wedding, we did glass bowls with floating candles and rose petals. Bought from the SF Flower Mart. 15 tables at that one.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
you look stunning-
and it will be even more so with fresh flowers,
i love that look...

i may end up with no veil just flowers and/or some hair jewelry.

i wish i had a similar very reputable person to do my hair/makeup wayyyy out here on the east coast.
i'm sure there is, just gotta do some trials.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am late to charm in, but you are gorgeous. I love love love Joyce. She is totally worth the money, and is very easy to work with and flexible once you get a hold of her.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol tg...i wanna be a GUEST not a vendor...i''m bringing crocheted pot warmers for pete''s sake!
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
TG just wanted to say you look fabulous! Love the updo!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Your hair and makeup look fresh, natural, and soft. Perfect for a wedding by the beach. Love the back of the ''do. You''re very pretty, TG. I wish I knew about Joyce when I got married last year. I''m not a fan of bridal makeup and hair that makes you look more like a beauty pagent contestant rather than a glowing bride-to-be.
Good luck on the rest of the planning. Gosh, your day is coming up pretty soon.
Thanks for posting your pics to share with others to delight and inspire and keep passing on the good advice. I just love this community.
9.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I wish I wish I had a makeup artist as brilliant as yours at my wedding!!! (mine made me look like a geisha girl, with foundation that was 3 shades too light, bright pink eye shadow, and horrible red lipstick) The right makeup artist makes ALL the difference in how you feel on your special day. I was miserable and self-conscious about my look on my big day. And I can''t stand to look at the pictures, my make up was that horrible.

Now YOU look stunning! Natural, soft, and prettied up JUST enough to make you look extra-special on your wedding day! And your hair....I''m so jealous! It''s so thick and soft-looking! I love the ''do...so many updo''s these days just look shellacked, but with yours it actually looks like it might rustle in the wind!
36.gif
Perfect for a beach wedding! Can I just say, the wedding you have planned is the one I wish I had for myself. I was only 27 at the time and wanted the whole fairy tale: big church, formal reception, yada yada.
20.gif

You are going to be a breathtaking bride!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
TG-

You look GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
30.gif
Finding someone to do my hair and makeup for my wedding is on my to-do list within the next couple of months too! Your girl did an awesome job!!!
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki, yes...I think if you are emailing to inquire with Joyce, it may take some time before she gets back to you. I had emailed her first, but then found her number online and gave her a call and was lucky she picked up. I just think she gets SO many emails...which is why I encourage anyone who wants to use her to book really early! (I lucked out...I only called 2 months in advance...thank goodness for Friday weddings!
36.gif
)

Mara, ooooh....ok. Lucky for you the potwarmers are a huge draw for me.............
9.gif

KristyDarling...that''s funny you say that. Joyce said she wanted to get more into this because so many people out there make asian women look like geishas with white faces! I actually told her I wanted a more airy updo, and she left lots of air in the curls...I think that is why it looks less structured. The whole thing, including the front, was actually quite sprayed into place, but for some reason it never felt stiff, which was great. And I will bet your wedding was amazing...I just don''t have the patience to put together some extraordinary.
2.gif

And to everyone else, thanks again for the kind words.
1.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Dang!
You look splendid!
I know it sounds cheesy, and I almost regret even typing this, but
I did have the thought: No wonder her sweety traveled the world to be
with her! You are stunning!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2006 8:15:18 PM
Author: Tybee
Dang!
You look splendid!
I know it sounds cheesy, and I almost regret even typing this, but
I did have the thought: No wonder her sweety traveled the world to be
with her! You are stunning!
Bahahahaha!!!

That has to be the sweetest thing I''ve heard in a while...but ya know...there are only 20 million people in Oz...so if you figure 1/2 are women, you can figure that a good chunk of those are too young, too old, or taken. The rest wouldn''t have him...so he was desperate!
3.gif

(hee hee...actually I think he''s a pretty darn good lookin'' guy...) Thanks!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the hair, especially the little flowers. You are going to look splendid!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
TG--your hair looks gorgeous--just like you!
9.gif
Sorry I''m so late to post. Sadly, my new job has left me with very little time for the internet. I miss you guys...
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results