shape
carat
color
clarity

What would I do without PS? (Hair and makeup trial - Joyce Luck)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't normally post pics of myself on the net (I prefer to stay incognito) but I thought I should give back a little something...

I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what to do with hair and makeup...and find someone who would come to me. Thanks to Qtetiki (spelling?), I was lucky to discover and get in contact with Joyce Luck. Since my wedding was Friday, she was available!

Joyce is AMAZING...and best of all, a totally warm and genuine person you will feel like you've known all your life. I know she is cutting down on her workload in the upcoming months, so if you are needing someone in the L.A. area, book EARLY. I don't want to post her number here, as I know she gets bombarded already, but if you do a search for her, her number is listed somewhere on PS....

Also, just an extra thanks to everyone here for having such great ideas. I got my invite ideas from Mara, my first dance song from nicolejrx, vow ideas from Gypsy and the list goes on and on. I pretty much did my entire wedding planning here on pricescope!

OK, here are the pics so you can see the work that Joyce does. I picked photos where it wouldn't be overly obvious what I looked like, lol...as well as give you an idea of makeup and hair. We're getting married on the beach so I wanted something romantic, but somewhat tucked in, as my hair does not hold curl. I think Joyce did a great job on the updo which is clean, but not overly structured. She's going to do some more criss crossing in the front on the actual day, but most everything will be the same (except I'll use real flowers). These pictures are posed, but she made me hold the bouquet and do it!
3.gif

Makeup/front view

IMG_1510SMALL.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
side view...

IMG_1519SMALL.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
backview (sorry pics are so big, but thought it would be better to see detail that way...)

BTW, brightspot was my hair inspiration!

That''s it!
1.gif

IMG_1516SMALL.jpg

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, TG! Love the look you''re going for.

Lucky gal- I hear that Joyce is the best of the best in L.A! I tried to book her for my wedding, but it''s tough to get her to do a wedding outside of L.A.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, that's cuz Joyce is busy enough for the weddings in LA. She's just that awesome. My wife had her hair done by Joyce. She even did her "trial" run right before we had our engagement pictures shot. That means, she took the time to show what the updo would look basically, and then redid my wife's hair cuz she wanted it down for the engagement picture.

Our hotel double booked us (and told us about it at the last minute) necessitating a minor time change and Joyce was able to still squeeze us in even tho she had another appointment that day.

I think all our vendors (aside from the hotel) were awesome, but Joyce, by far, had the most insane amount of good word of mouth. I think all asian brides (who know about her) attempt to get her cuz she knows how to deal with asian hair and complexion. And then, non-asians go to her too cuz she's just got that great of a rep in the online world. I think she mostly does asians tho, prolly cuz they're the most desparate for her services. She's great cuz even tho she's in such demand, she keeps her prices reasonable.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and perfection! I wouldn''t change a single thing!!!
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chargergrrl...

And yes, Joyce is just awesome. I think she just adds that special personal touch to her services and knows what brides are going through. She asked a lot of questions about what I wanted in the look, and also asked what my FI's preferences were in terms of makeup (he doesn't have any prefernces). She's sensitive enough not to want to freak out the guy with a bride that doesn't look like herself!

She doesn't advertise at all...word of mouth is enough high volumes of business. It took some digging though, for me to find more info on her and her work, so that's why I thought I'd post some photos here. Especially for asians, she's really good at creating a look without making you look "exotic" like some people try to do!

ETA, thanks firegoddess.
1.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, absolutely gorgeous!!! From what I can see, the makeup looks extremely natural, very pretty. And your hair is just amazing! Love it!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hair: i love it! i LOVE LOVE LOVE the front especially! i love that it looks so natural! my hair doesn''t do that very well. went i get it done it always seems to look like i got it done.

i know what you mean, ps has been a wedding saver for me!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 2:18:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal
She''s sensitive enough not to want to freak out the guy with a bride that doesn''t look like herself!

I especially liked that. She took great pains in reassuring me that while my wife looked more made up than I was used to, it was cuz she''d look better that way on camera. She''s amazing in being able to balance how a bride looks in real life and getting enough makeup to show up beautiful on camera.

We had two weddings and the guy who did my wife''s makeup for the other wedding skewed it too much for the look on camera. Our pictures came out great, but she looked kinda scary in real life.

Her portfolio is pretty impressive. She''s got before and after pictures. TravelingGal, like all the other "after" pictures I''ve seen, looks gorgeous. But many of the before pictures were scary. Even my wife''s did. I dunno. Maybe it''s cuz it''s early in the morning, the way Joyce takes the picture, the lighting, I dunno. Something makes the girls look worse than they really do. I was there for the trial and Joyce showed us the before pic right after she took it. It looked way worse than my wife did for some reason.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
ooh I love it your going to look so stunning! what are those little flowers called??????

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 2:39:07 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 9/12/2006 2:18:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal
She''s sensitive enough not to want to freak out the guy with a bride that doesn''t look like herself!

I especially liked that. She took great pains in reassuring me that while my wife looked more made up than I was used to, it was cuz she''d look better that way on camera. She''s amazing in being able to balance how a bride looks in real life and getting enough makeup to show up beautiful on camera.

We had two weddings and the guy who did my wife''s makeup for the other wedding skewed it too much for the look on camera. Our pictures came out great, but she looked kinda scary in real life.

Her portfolio is pretty impressive. She''s got before and after pictures. TravelingGal, like all the other ''after'' pictures I''ve seen, looks gorgeous. But many of the before pictures were scary. Even my wife''s did. I dunno. Maybe it''s cuz it''s early in the morning, the way Joyce takes the picture, the lighting, I dunno. Something makes the girls look worse than they really do. I was there for the trial and Joyce showed us the before pic right after she took it. It looked way worse than my wife did for some reason.
I know...those before/after pics are awful...and now I know why...I officially took the worst photo EVER. Normally I don''t photograph THAT bad. But now I understand...the brides are wearing ZERO makeup. Most of them grow their hair out for updos and are desperately in need of a trim - I know this was my case but I can''t cut it until after the wedding (and I will be getting it cut the Monday after). I literally took a shower and then went over the Joyce''s.

And yes, Joyce knows to make up for both real life and the camera at the same time. IRL, the makeup actually looked more natural than in the photos. She even made me touch my face after she put on the foundation to reassure me my face would be touchable, because she felt like my FI should be able to touch my face on our wedding day. Like I said, the best thing about her was what a warm person she was.

Codex, we need pics of you guys!
2.gif

Thanks for the compliments all...I think she did a nice job too.
1.gif

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Wait is that a bride beenie baby I see sitting behind you?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 4:18:25 PM
Author: GarysBride
ooh I love it your going to look so stunning! what are those little flowers called??????
I found them on PS actually (although the ones in my hair are fake). I think they are called stephanotis, or something like that? Gypsy may know, as our resident flower guru, or maybe Mara - our gardening guru.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you look awesome TG! i can't believe that innocent looking little face hides such a snarky personality!! love it!

oh and the flowers look like Stephanoitis, yep.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 4:23:33 PM
Author: Mara
you look awesome TG! i can''t believe that innocent looking little face hides such a snarky personality!! love it!

oh and the flowers look like stephanotis.
LOL Mara! My FI always says the same thing! "Don''t let the sweet face fool you." Well ha...it reeled him in and now there is no out. Sucker.
11.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 4:19:44 PM
Wait is that a bride beenie baby I see sitting behind you?
Oh...hahaha...I didn''t even notice that. We did the trial at Joyce''s studio, and she''s got all kinds of bride stuff (veils, bouquet as you see, and yes, probably the bride beanie baby...)

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
haha too cute! I looked up those flowers and I think ill be useing them in my hair too there just so petite and a really white flower which would go well with my dress! Im glad I saw this thread thanks TG!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 4:34:35 PM
haha too cute! I looked up those flowers and I think ill be useing them in my hair too there just so petite and a really white flower which would go well with my dress! Im glad I saw this thread thanks TG!
Oh, I''m telling you, I would REALLY be lost on this whole wedding thing without PS. I will probably use these flowers too...I read on another thread that this flower was recommended because it''s pretty hardy (and hearty!) and will last well throughout the day. They are a little more cream in real life, but still will be fine I think. Now, I would not have known that without my fellow BIWs....

Now if I could only figure out what flowers I want for centerpieces...with only 3.5 weeks to go until my wedding, I haven''t talked to a florist. I''m doomed....

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
ohhh noo 3.5 weeks to go?? quick give me ideas! lol what kind of flowers do you like/colors?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ummm...errr....nothing pink or purple. Maybe fall? Red, orange, cream, yellow, green? Gypsy started a great flower thread and I copied and pasted a ton of the stuff to send to a friend for help. The problem is I know NOTHING about flowers...names, seasons, etc. Thinking about it gives me hives, which may be the reason I don''t have a florist with under 4 weeks to go! I almost didn''t have a dress, but since I joined the workout thread, I barely squeaked into it, just two weeks ago for the first time - which is very fortunate because I went into David''s Bridal, did one loop around the shop and ran out.

I should have been born a boy.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your hair looks PERFECT and I think your makeup is really beautiful and natural looking.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
You still need a florist? Here's who we used: http://www.apexdecorflowers.com/index.htm I thought they did a great job. Price was much more reasonable than the flower shops I went to in the San Gabriel Valley. We were real happy with them. Give them a shot.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dee...

And thanks Codex. I wasn''t going to do flowers (don''t care for them) but my friend says she and her friend can do them for cheap. Never seen their work, but I guess I just gotta go with it. I''ll check out your florist too though...if you don''t mind my asking, how much did you spend? We only have 7 small tables, plus sweetheart''s so not too much (which is why I think I procrastinated).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG if you don't really care much about the flowers, just let them handle them....just tell them to stick with a theme or give them color direction and that's that. i'm sure you'll be happy with the result if you don't already have a set thing in mind you know. i think 'expectations' are what get us into trouble as planners kind of thing. if you don't have any expectations, you can't really be disappointed right?!

as for the hair flowers, stephanotis are very hardy and can last for hours without water which is why they are so popular, just like orchids...the same kind of stiff petals hold water quite well for the flower for a while. and they don't bruise easily either. you could even do fake ones in the hair with pearl centers (is that what you have on?) as it's not that noticeable since it's in the hair as well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 5:21:49 PM
Author: Mara
TG if you don''t really care much about the flowers, just let them handle them....just tell them to stick with a theme or give them color direction and that''s that. i''m sure you''ll be happy with the result if you don''t already have a set thing in mind you know. i think ''expectations'' are what get us into trouble as planners kind of thing. if you don''t have any expectations, you can''t really be disappointed right?!

as for the hair flowers, stephanotis are very hardy and can last for hours without water which is why they are so popular, just like orchids...the same kind of stiff petals hold water quite well for the flower for a while. and they don''t bruise easily either. you could even do fake ones in the hair with pearl centers (is that what you have on?) as it''s not that noticeable since it''s in the hair as well.
Mara, I don''t reckon you want to crash my wedding (you and the pot warmers can still make it to Deco''s) and do my flowers, wouldja? Hee hee..

Yes, I am letting them do whatever. I totally don''t care. Problem is I haven''t picked colors, and I know I should give them SOME kind of direction. So I just said "have it so people can see over them, with fallish colors." Think that''s enough direction?
9.gif

I heard orchids are hardy too, so I am thinking of going to Trader Joe''s and buying some to see how they do. I think stephanotis are cuter though, but don''t know where to get those (I mean, I know I should go to a florist, duh, but haven''t picked one). Maybe my friends can pick them up at L.A. flower mart. I have to wrap them in floral tape, which I heard I can get at a craft store...but I''m scared of craft stores. LOL...

Fakeys might be fine...and yes, fakes with pearl centers is what I have on.....

Thanks for your support everyone (can you tell I don''t wanna work today?)
14.gif

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
were doing flowers and candy for centerpieces lol we have a october wedding too and were doing a candy corn type of centerpeice with gerbera flowers,

normal_candycorn.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh! I love it, LOVE IT! Daisies...that''s what I want...perfect for the beach theme. Going to use those as my bouquet too. I take it there will be no seasonal issues. I probably won''t do the candy (we''re not close enough to halloween), but I think it will look nice in a similar vase...

Thank you thank you!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
btw i work at trader joes and if you would like to special order certain flowers let me know and ill tell you what to do! im getting all my flowers from trader joes! im also doing my own flowers so its a great alternative and cheap! plus my discount makes it worth while! where are you gettin married at TG?

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
the month of october means halloween to me lol its my favorite month its when you really start to feel the holidays comming on and it feels so festive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results