shape
carat
color
clarity

What will you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, let''s say you have 0.575 rb on a simple "tiffany-style" white gold setting. If you had an extra $1000 or so, would you spend it on a nicer setting or upgrade the stone to approx 0.8 ct in the same setting?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
In that size range (below 1 carat), I would go with the larger diamond, but that is just my personal opinion.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d upgrade the stone because .5 to .8 is a sizeable difference. Then later on it would be pretty easy to upgrade the setting if I wanted to.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Well, where I purchased requires I spend twice the amount again to upgrade the setting-but I get 100% of the value of the old one, so, it''s all good. That would mean that I would get quite a upgrade in setting. On the other hand, I believe I would go for the larger stone, since that is quite a difference in size you are talking about. Hmmm, tough tough decisions. How often can you upgrade your stone and what are the terms?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I would upgrade the stone
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Larger stone, for sure!

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone.
31.gif

Well, if I get a 0.8 that''s probably not going to be my last upgrade. It would probably take a couple of years until I reach about 1.25ct (which is my dream size right now) but the good thing about upgrading the stone to 0.8 is it will probably suppress DSS for a while. On the other hand, I also love settings with sidestones but the ones I''m looking at is about 2/3 the price of my current center stone. Be honest, do you think "temporary setting" when you see a girl with a simple setting?

UGH this is such a dillema for me and I''ve been driving my DH crazy about diamonds. I''m sure you ladies understand [;-).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the larger stone.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 2:58:21 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I''d go for the larger stone.
well said sweet lady :}

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 2:54:17 PM
Author: fabcrab
31.gif

Well, if I get a 0.8 that''s probably not going to be my last upgrade. It would probably take a couple of years until I reach about 1.25ct (which is my dream size right now) but the good thing about upgrading the stone to 0.8 is it will probably suppress DSS for a while. On the other hand, I also love settings with sidestones but the ones I''m looking at is about 2/3 the price of my current center stone. Be honest, do you think ''temporary setting'' when you see a girl with a simple setting?

UGH this is such a dillema for me and I''ve been driving my DH crazy about diamonds. I''m sure you ladies understand [;-).
I don''t! Not everyone prefers intricate or embellished settings. I would assume that a simple solitaire setting was chosen to keep the focus on the diamond. And we all kow there''s nothing wrong with that!
2.gif

-J

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Larger stone. My first diamond was a .81 and I thought it was HUGE at the time. It was a really nice size. And it was a 4 prong tiffany style. I think the simple setting made it look larger.I would say larger stone.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
31.gif

Well, if I get a 0.8 that''s probably not going to be my last upgrade. It would probably take a couple of years until I reach about 1.25ct (which is my dream size right now) but the good thing about upgrading the stone to 0.8 is it will probably suppress DSS for a while. On the other hand, I also love settings with sidestones but the ones I''m looking at is about 2/3 the price of my current center stone. Be honest, do you think ''temporary setting'' when you see a girl with a simple setting?

Here is another reason to put the money towards a larger diamond. If you will be upgrading another 2 or 3 times, etc . . . you''d want to wait until you settle on a size before you get a setting cause otherwise you might have to change out the head of the setting with every upgrade. Wait till you have your final diamond to get the setting. A simple tiffany setting is classic and beautiful, and doesn''t say temp to me.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
31.gif

I would go for the larger stone, too....

I don''t think "temporary setting" when I see a solitaire setting, what I think is "someone who doesn''t want sidestones"....
Point is, lots of people choose a solitaire as a forever setting, so I wouldn''t worry about that!!

Could you buy a ring guard to go around your NEW 80pt diamond????? hehehehehehehe

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again everyone! Sometimes I feel like I have multiple personality disorder when it comes to diamonds. I just love everyone''s ring here in PS!

BunniBling yes that is the exact reason I steered my DH to a solitaire in the first place. I know this shouldn''t let it affect me but a lot of my engaged/married friends have sidestones making my setting "plain". But then again there are days that I just looove the classic design of it.

Hikerchick you have a really good point about having to change the head for each upgrade.

Sophie I love that setting but unfortunately, I am NOT adventurous enough to pull that off.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re still asking for opinions, I''d go for the larger stone as well and upgrade the setting later.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Larger Stone!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the larger stone now, and don''t invest in a new setting until you get the final upgrade. And many people have plain tiffany style settings their entire married life, so I see nothing temporary about those at all. We just call them temp settings around here because a lot of people can''t decide on a setting initially and put their diamond in a "temp" setting indicating the intent to reset.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Bigger diamond
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the nicer setting, but that's just me. I like and/or notice an antique setting more than size, but I think I am in the minority here!!!

ETA: I did not notice that there is a potential upgrade again in the near future. In that case I would save the nicer setting for when you get your permanent stone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif

No way! I think simple is elegant.

Go for the bigger stone, that''s a noticable jump.
28.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go for the bigger diamond. I don''t think temp setting when I see a simple setting. My original ering setting was a simple YG solitaire setting. The only reason that I even changed it was because the jeweler messed it up after a botched solder job. I totally believe that less is more!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It''s nearly unanimous -- LARGER STONE!!! 23 points is a huge difference in that size diamond. And if your dream is 1.25, you''ll be sorry you spent money on a setting instead of towards a larger diamond. And someone above said you might have to replace the setting because it won''t work for a larger diamond down the road -- I couldn''t agree more. Definitely spend the money on the diamond.

I know A LOT of women with the very simple tiffany style solitaire. Pair it with a lovely wedding band for the extra bling. It definitely won''t look temporary.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Larger stone wins!!!
26.gif

Yeah my wedding band has about 8 0.2ct diamonds on it so the more I look at my set the more I like my simple e-ring.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 3:48:50 PM
Larger stone wins!!!
26.gif

Yeah my wedding band has about 8 0.2ct diamonds on it so the more I look at my set the more I like my simple e-ring.

SO, do we get to see pictures of said rings???
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the nicest stone I could, factoring in size etc, because down the line I could revamp the setting if need be...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results