shape
carat
color
clarity

What will come of these protests that have evolved into riots?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think is going to happen as a result? Be honest. Allow for honesty by not attacking those who do not share your views. While I cannot censor you, I don’t want to discourage anyone from participating. I would just like to hear your thoughts. I truly want an exchange of ideas, not a condemnation of others who see things differently.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The president has claimed he'll send in the military to shoot us. Today peaceful protesters near the White House were shot with rubber bullets, tear gassed and flash bombs were used -- peaceful protests. If trump doesn't keep his mouth shut, if there is no active effective change to systemic racism, I think our cities and towns are going to burn worse than during the civil rights era.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a chance that the wrong place gets targeted for looting and the owners decide to fight back and pile up bodies like cord wood setting off an all out war.

covid 19 2nd wave is another real possibility.

Or what has happened in the past, not much of anything after a few days.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am afraid there could be a real spike in Covid cases especially here in NY where we have been in tight lockdown for nearly three months. That could all be for naught. :(
I do hope real change can come of these protests but I fear that racial divisiveness could also spike as small businesses are looted, having already been severely affected by the SIP, and won’t be able to recover from the property destruction.
Just so sad all around.

Q

Queenie60

I am beside myself and do not know what to make of all of this violence. The murder of George Floyd should have never happened. Force needs to be taken against the rioters. This can't continue.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More anger, more people getting hurt and killed, more businesses being burned and looted a lot more people getting COVID - 19. And just like gun control and systemic racism, and a health, education and welfare system all of which not only discriminate but are woefully inadequate for the poor, I unfortunately see very little changing.

I'd like to hope it means Trump will not get re-elected but he probably will get re-elected.
The sad thing is that the majority of Americans did not vote for Trump, the majority do not want to live in a country with such a big racial divide, the majority of Americans do want less guns and better gun control, yet in every case the minority are the ones that seem to have the most power in these situations.

Most Americans are not bad people, they are good people who want and deserve far far better than this.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too am afraid there could be a real spike in Covid cases especially here in NY where we have been in tight lockdown for nearly three months. That could all be for naught. :(
I do hope real change can come of these protests but I fear that racial divisiveness could also spike as small businesses are looted, having already been severely affected by the SIP, and won’t be able to recover from the property destruction.
Just so sad all around.

every way you look at this situation is heartbreaking and also down right scary

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened in previous protests in history?

Logically I'm inclined to look to history, see how those ended and predict it will end like that.

However this time it seems worse. I think things are more desperate this time. Trump will go all Tiananmen square on them and many will die. Whilst nothing will really change I'm hoping that the desperation and mayhem this time around will make white cops think next time they decide to kill. I'm hoping the threat that something like this would happen again will make them pause.

I never thought I would see the day where I'd compare Tiananmen square with a situation in America.

Our news has stopped reporting on Aussie stuff. You guys are all front and center here. Not even Covid19 is getting coverage.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"What will come of these protests that have evolved into riots?"

Reverend Al Sharpton told a group he addressed today that they were trying to make the reaction to the murder into the story. It was not, he said, the story. The murder was the story.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened in previous protests in history?

Logically I'm inclined to look to history, see how those ended and predict it will end like that.

However this time it seems worse. I think things are more desperate this time. Trump will go all Tiananmen square on them and many will die. Whilst nothing will really change I'm hoping that the desperation and mayhem this time around will make white cops think next time they decide to kill. I'm hoping the threat that something like this would happen again will make them pause.

I never thought I would see the day where I'd compare Tiananmen square with a situation in America.

Our news has stopped reporting on Aussie stuff. You guys are all front and center here. Not even Covid19 is getting coverage.

I think there would be global outrage and condemnation if Trump orders the military, home guard or police forces to shoot and kill their own citizens. I've been watching the tension escalate in Hong Kong versus China over the past week and have been predicting that could lead to another Tiananmen Square but in a country as Westernised and democratic as the US I'd imagine Trump would then be removed.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
This was a perfect storm in the making. Pandemic, frightened people, angry, frustrated people, and then a horrendous murder live on TV. What a horrible time for mankind.
My heart goes out to the Floyd Family.

This madness has to stop.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a perfect storm in the making. Pandemic, frightened people, angry, frustrated people, and then a horrendous murder live on TV. What a horrible time for mankind.
My heart goes out to the Floyd Family.

This madness has to stop.

#Truth

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, you answered your own question when you posted this proverb in the "what white people can do..." thread

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 7.18.08 PM.png

While that proverb may seem simple at first read, it is a profound and profoundly nuanced judgment and condemnation of our current circumstances and of our species. Thank you for posting it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The same people who want people to protest peacefully are the same people who wanted Kapernick fired for taking a knee. Peaceful isn’t working. People are done crying, and now they’re screaming.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, you answered your own question when you posted this proverb in the "what white people can do..." thread

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 7.18.08 PM.png

While that proverb may seem simple at first read, it is a profound and profoundly nuanced judgment and condemnation of our current circumstances and of our species. Thank you for posting it.

But what will come as a result? I understand the motivation. I just want to know how others are viewing the outcome of these acts. I am an optimist and would like to think these riots—not going to sugarcoat what they are—as much as many want to call them protests—look up the definition of riot and we are living it—will jolt white America into realizing that poc are a force to be reckoned with. But I’m a poc and am somewhat biased. Would like to know what others are thinking. I call this research.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there would be global outrage and condemnation if Trump orders the military, home guard or police forces to shoot and kill their own citizens. I've been watching the tension escalate in Hong Kong versus China over the past week and have been predicting that could lead to another Tiananmen Square but in a country as Westernised and democratic as the US I'd imagine Trump would then be removed.

I really hope so Arkie.
Trump's most ardent base remains staunch in support. It just defies belief.
The Hong Kong situation is another roiling boil that's about to overflow - and I agree, I think might become uglier than anything I've seen in my lifetime.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see anything changing in the long run. Maybe this is my natural pessimism coming out. I think the news will cover it as long as there is interest and then move on to the next thing. My experience has been that the looting, not COVID, not the protests, not the murder is the story of now. They seemed to move on quite quickly to what is most sensational.

I hope that I'm wrong. All I know is with every passing day this world becomes a place I do not want to live in any longer. Whatever is after this has to be better.

ETA: I am not suicidal.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"What will come of these protests that have evolved into riots?"

Reverend Al Sharpton told a group he addressed today that they were trying to make the reaction to the murder into the story. It was not, he said, the story. The murder was the story.

But what do you make of the REACTION? That is what this thread is about. The reaction is of the murder has been impactful—can’t be ignored. What next? How do YOU view it?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But what will come as a result?

A pile of ashes and POC being blamed for the destruction of civil society. I keep hoping that "this time" things will change but the cynic in me tempers that hope.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn’t help myself. Didn’t want to be biased in this thread. Carry on. I’m not being sarcastic when I invite all of you to post your sincere predictions. No need to worry about being right when it comes to predictions.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I don't think anything will come of it.

I mean, how many school shootings have you had? How many "thoughts and prayers" have been sent - yet it keeps on happening. Nothing changes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don't think anything will come of it.

I mean, how many school shootings have you had? How many "thoughts and prayers" have been sent - yet it keeps on happening. Nothing changes.

The school shooting example is a good one. After Sandy Hook (and all the other school shootings) there should have been metal detectors in front of every school.

S

SallyB

I don't see anything changing in the long run. Maybe this is my natural pessimism coming out. I think the news will cover it as long as there is interest and then move on to the next thing. My experience has been that the looting, not COVID, not the protests, not the murder is the story of now. They seemed to move on quite quickly to what is most sensational.

I hope that I'm wrong. All I know is with every passing day this world becomes a place I do not want to live in any longer. Whatever is after this has to be better.

Your last 2 sentences are a bit concerning, @YadaYadaYada. Are you OK?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SallyB, I almost wrote that I'm not suicidal in my post but decided against it.

No, I'm not suicidal, but the current state of everything is overwhelming and very depressing and that's what I was trying to express. Maybe there are others out there that are going through the motions of life right now out of obligation.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Nothing will come of it. The looting is the story now not the murder. If the protests continue throughout the summer, they will enhance Trump’s re-election chances. If he doesn’t overplay his hand with the governors, that is. I say this as someone who lived through the Nixon/McGovern era. The anti war protests were extremely violent and prolonged, yet Nixon won. The silent majority is real, and it is not a fan of the destruction of private property.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SallyB, I almost wrote that I'm not suicidal in my post but decided against it.

No, I'm not suicidal, but the current state of everything is overwhelming and very depressing and that's what I was trying to express. Maybe there are others out there that are going through the motions of life right now out of obligation.

You are not alone! I have been so emotional for days and wonder how some seem so unaffected! But not suicidal either. I get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results