shape
carat
color
clarity

What was your fav holiday memory?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
We started putting our decorations away today. In a way it''s sad to say goodby to 2006 and our holiday season, but it also feels really good to get a fresh start.

While we were taking things off our tree my 5 year old and I were talking about the decorations we made and how much fun we had. We had the most fun making a garland with tinsel pipe cleaners. I cut them in half and then we made a chain with them.

My favorite holiday memory -- before the actual day -- was of him decorating his own little 18" silver tinsel tree. He was very proud of all the ornaments he put on it and he carried it around with him when it wasn''t plugged in.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Memories of my sisters baby boy being born a year ago and celebrating my nephew's 1st birthday today; boy, the joy of life!!! Cheers
emotion-19.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lumpkin, what a great thread!

Mine is from many years ago. I was a stay at home mom, and things were always rather tight. My oldest was about 11, and a real problem child, always has been. Extremely self absorbed. Don''t get me wrong, I love him to death, but thinking of someone else is not within his capabilities.

It was really close to Christmas and he and I were at the grocery store. I came upon a display of Poinsettias. I had always wanted one, but never felt I could justify buying one, too frivelous. I picked one up, and lingered over whether to buy it or not, I really wanted it. I decided again no, I didn''t need one, and put it back. He asked me why I wasn''t getting it, and I explained I didn''t want to waste money.

Christmas morning we''re all unwrapping our presents and my oldest one disappears briefly, only to return, with a Poinsettia. I can''t tell you what that meant to me, especially coming from this particular child. It is by far, and will always be, no matter what I may ever get for Christmas, the best present ever.

I still tear up thinking about it...

I love your story, I can just picture him!
5.gif

And thank you for your kind words on my ring.
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My favorite memory from this year is my dad dressing up like Santa Claus for my 1 year old nephew, who was pretty freaked out by it at first but then warmed up when he saw the big bellied, bearded man had a water bottle for him. I love that my mild mannered, reserved father is willing to do this. He also dresses up and plays Santa at my cousin''s annual Christmas shindig, but I missed it this year; my mom said it was as great as ever though, and I''m sure she''s right.

Here''s a picture of Santa reading him a book.

Billy.See.Santa.JPG

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
So is this holiday memory from our lifetime, or this year?

This year: Enjoying our first "engaged" christmas.

Lifetime: My grandma passed away ten years ago, a few days before Christmas. It''s kind of a bittersweet memory; our family was very sad and quiet that Christmas, mere days after her passing. My older cousin worked for MTV at the time, and had gotten a copy of the South Park pilot (then called the South Park Christmas card) because it was being shopped around to networks, and MTV had passed on it. As we were sitting there mourning the loss of Grandma, Mike put the video in and after awhile, we were all chuckling to ourselves which turned to loud guffaws. So while we were all very distraught about Grandma, we had a bit of laughrer then too, as a family. It helped lighten the mood a bit.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was really close to Christmas and he and I were at the grocery store. I came upon a display of Poinsettias. I had always wanted one, but never felt I could justify buying one, too frivelous. I picked one up, and lingered over whether to buy it or not, I really wanted it. I decided again no, I didn't need one, and put it back. He asked me why I wasn't getting it, and I explained I didn't want to waste money.

Christmas morning we're all unwrapping our presents and my oldest one disappears briefly, only to return, with a Poinsettia. I can't tell you what that meant to me, especially coming from this particular child. It is by far, and will always be, no matter what I may ever get for Christmas, the best present ever.

5.gif

2.gif
Oh my goodness Ellen, you have me crying too!
emcry.gif

Wow, he must LOVE his moma
face23.gif
You are such a sweet mom!

Isn't live sweeeet!!!!
36.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 9:10:59 AM
Author: Ellen
lumpkin, what a great thread!

Mine is from many years ago. I was a stay at home mom, and things were always rather tight. My oldest was about 11, and a real problem child, always has been. Extremely self absorbed. Don''t get me wrong, I love him to death, but thinking of someone else is not within his capabilities.

It was really close to Christmas and he and I were at the grocery store. I came upon a display of Poinsettias. I had always wanted one, but never felt I could justify buying one, too frivelous. I picked one up, and lingered over whether to buy it or not, I really wanted it. I decided again no, I didn''t need one, and put it back. He asked me why I wasn''t getting it, and I explained I didn''t want to waste money.

Christmas morning we''re all unwrapping our presents and my oldest one disappears briefly, only to return, with a Poinsettia. I can''t tell you what that meant to me, especially coming from this particular child. It is by far, and will always be, no matter what I may ever get for Christmas, the best present ever.

5.gif

2.gif
This is really sweet.

When I was really small, we used to open our presents from our family on Christmas Eve. We always had to wait for my grandfather to come and it took him forever. He was always late anyway and he had a shoestore that he had to close up. (Looking back I can''t believe he was open late on Christmas Eve). I used to stare out the front door window for what seemed like hours waiting in anticipation for him. I would give anything to have him back for one Christmas (and my grandma) with our little girls.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy and Allison, thanks, I thought so.

Allison, your post really touched me. Funny how the most meaningful memories are so, simple sometimes. And yes, I''d give anything to have all my grandparents back too, such special people....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllisonFaye,

Now you have me crying. It makes us think that the people we love are very precious and it is wonderful we get to keep these wonderful memories. What a sweet grandpa. Now you can share those wonderful (blessing of) stories about him, with your little ones
30.gif

Gosh, I love this thread; look at how blessed we are to have these memories
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results