shape
carat
color
clarity

What was the best piece of advice you were given but did not take?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a piece of advice you were given that you wish you had followed?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This also had to do with a man. My best friends told me it was a weird relationship I had going and I should stop it, I didn't seem able to do so. I mistook a great deal of anxiety for love. This man was everything I could ever have wanted in a man. And I couldn't believe he was interested in me. The perfect man: Who could give that up? I was young, only my second relationship, and he was 14 yrs older than I, being 26. Well, it lasted a good while, thru another man that I can say I loved, over 10 yrs.

As time went on all the emotion went away, and I saw how silly it was. He didn't look so perfect anymore, although I must say he was a good man, just weird in his relationship with me. What a waste of time in so many ways. I should have listened to my friends.

I'm old now, but in looking back I realize men are important to me. I 'm a person who likes men, and wish I had a nice loving relationship. I am fussy, and have had a few loving relationships that satisfy.
My life is filled with sunshine and rain. Thats what life on this earth is about.

Annette

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
When I was in my teens my therapist who was an awfully kind, empathetic, magnetic, & powerful
woman told me to "Always follow your intuition. Always follow your gut, or that little tingling feeling you get in your brain that says no, that's not it, or yes that is!"

I didn't truly get what she meant as my personality wasn't yet set & it was hard to tap into that power at a young age. A few events can be attributed ultimately to me not listening to that feeling.
I can't really explain it other than it is just simply a knowing that you should either do or not do something.

Ever since I had my daughter my intuition has ramped up intensely & the inner knowing is almost impossible to ignore now, although there are some good manipulators out there folks!
I also received some other clairs when born & they too got stronger after I had my baby.
I attribute it to the "mothers knowing" and the strong bond I have with her.
I'd say more but I don't wanna weird everyone out! I know most people have never had
any odd or unexplainable experiences so I understand the skeptics.

Anyways, long story short, always trust your intuition.
It knows what you need, not want, and wont lead you astray.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a piece of advice-come-offer, made my by parents when I was 20.

I took a couple of years off university to work and just to take a break from study and I was able to get what was, at that time, a well paying job for someone my age. But I was frittering money away, paycheck after paycheck.

My parents saw this, and they offered to sell me 40 acres of their prime cattle grazing land - for $10,000. No loan - fortnightly payments. I could have bought it and paid them back in a year.

I said no.

That land is now worth easily over $1m.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Credit is evil and save for the future.

DK :roll2: :lol-2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This was a piece of advice-come-offer, made my by parents when I was 20.

I took a couple of years off university to work and just to take a break from study and I was able to get what was, at that time, a well paying job for someone my age. But I was frittering money away, paycheck after paycheck.

My parents saw this, and they offered to sell me 40 acres of their prime cattle grazing land - for $10,000. No loan - fortnightly payments. I could have bought it and paid them back in a year.

I said no.

That land is now worth easily over $1m.

As someone that now owns cattle grazing land that I oddly begged my parents to keep at age 10 (they were inherited it through mothers father & debated upon selling it) your story pains me so much! I hate stories like that, those lessons are like a good slap in the face! Youch! At least now it seems as though you and your hubby are doing well & living a prosperous life!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, I can't think of any occasion where I took advice. I must have done it at some point for some reason, but I feel like I make every decision independent of other people for the most part. I research things to death before making a decision, but it's always my decision.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The thing is, I can't think of any occasion where I took advice. I must have done it at some point for some reason, but I feel like I make every decision independent of other people for the most part. I research things to death before making a decision, but it's always my decision.

I think most people do this irregardless if they do the smart thing and do their research or not.
Ultimately we all make our own decisions and I don't think we're just given advice and taking it all the time!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t think of any. I’ve taken good advice and refused bad advice. I guess I’m pretty good at differentiating between the two. :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only advice I’ve ever taken seriously was from my dad. It’s from a famous quote but essentially the advice is take care of your health first and foremost because without it nothing else matters (family, or wealth).

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure my parents have given me some wonderful advice all through my twenties, which largely got ignored as I trusted my husband with our finances (BAD IDEA!) and now I have learnt the lesson the hard way. :shifty:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to think i took all the good advice to heart

although, ive ignored plenty of well meaning bad advice though

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to my son: Don't worry so much about what he does or doesn't eat. It won't matter in a few years.

I cried every day about how much that child ate for the first year and had a meltdown at least once a week about his food intake for the next two years.

He's easily one of the best/most flexible eaters I know now (adults plus kids). Eats like a champ! All that angst and worry was for nothing.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avoid credit card debt! I had to use my CC to finish paying for my masters degree and boy was that a mistake. I would have been better off taking out a personal loan! I couldn't take out a student loan since at that point I was only taking one class at a time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results