shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of stone would look good in this setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My mother just gave this to me. She''s never bothered to put a stone in it and said if I wanted to put one in I could have it. It''s pretty old, we think it''s from the art deco period. Anyway, I''m trying to figure out what type of colored stone would work well with the setting. Any ideas?

goldring1.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
two more photos.

goldring3.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
the last one.

goldring4.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Pretty ring! Is that white gold or yellow gold? I can't really tell from the pics. If its white gold, then I think a dark blue stone (sapphire or perhaps blue zircon) or a red stone (like red spinel) would look really dramatic and amazing. If its yellow gold I always liked the look of blue topaz in yellow gold. These are some of my favorite combinations. But I think just about anything would look nice really! Hope this helps!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Clownfish. It's yellow gold but it has white gold around the sidestones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats your favorite color?

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
with a setting like that, you'll need a fairly tough stone. i would go with a blue or yellow sapphire, or, if you want to be different, a fine jade cabochon.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
A pink star sapphire.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh a pink or yellow sapphire might be really cool.

Favorite colors... well I'm a gemini so it changes everyday
wink2.gif

BTO

Rough_Rock
Pretty!

What about dark pink/purplish garnet? I think that color would be lovely with the yellow gold...
love.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
I second the garnet! One of the deep purply reds or even one of the greens. I can't see the sidestones too well - trillions? Pave? That might help me decide what cut would look best and thereby help determine the best stone. e.g. garnets are highly refractive (brilliant) and can look lovely cut RB - lovely with twinkly trillions. Many stones, even garnets, look great as cabochon but I do not know how I (personally) would like that surrounded by pave (although the jade idea sounds lovely becuase of the opacity of the stone is wonderfully juxtaposed by the brilliance of the sidestones). Do you prefer a "clear" or a "solid" gemstone? Just examples to suggest another way to think about it...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
They are pave set side stones.
Garnet could be nice too. I'm hoping to have it done sometime in the next month or so .I need to start checking online and local stone vendors.
Thanks for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results