shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of shampoo do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
It''s interesting to see that most folks use standard ole drug store brands vs. professional brands. My general answer is that I usually have 2 or 3 different kinds of shampoos around, either because I never seem to find one I love, I have heard it''s better for your hair to mix it up a little, and usually I buy something on sale...hehe.

My hair is dark, dry and frizzy. It breaks so much it drives me crazy. So one of the things that I live for is a good leave-in conditioner. I like those leave in oils type things.

I also have these hard shampoo and conditioner bars from Lush. I LOVE them. I love all Lush products, just that the $$$ can be ridiculous.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I really like purology for straight hair - it helps with the frizzies.
1.gif

Heather

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Redken anti-snap, and it protects your hair when you blow dry etc.

Right now I am using Redken's AllSoft shampoo and conditioner...taking a break from my Pureology, I love both brands. My hair can get dry since it's chemically treated, so I have to infuse moisture into it with the expensive stuff...
31.gif

Greg uses Pert shampoo and conditioner combo!
2.gif

I have very very thick dark naturally curly hair that I chemically straighten and also get highlights. My previous stylist said blow-drying my hair gave him 'muscles'.
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 3:49:11 PM
Author: rms

I also have these hard shampoo and conditioner bars from Lush. I LOVE them. I love all Lush products, just that the $$$ can be ridiculous.
I LOVE Lush, but I''ve never tried their shampoo or conditioner bars...Ocean Salt face scrub i LOVE it and the body washes...face masks...love it. This past year they FINALLY opened up a store in Chicago so I didn''t have to have it shipped to me or coerce my friends to bring it back from London or Canada for me.

Anyway, my hair is horrible. I say horrible because I can''t just wash and go...it always requires a decent amount of attention to look decent. Sometimes it decides to be totally different styles as well. My stylists say it is curly, but some days I''ll let it air dry and some days it can be almost straight, while others just normal wavy and others pretty curly. Its a fine to medium texture. So it may be pretty similar to your hair, JellyBean.

Wanna know what my stylists have told me?? (I''ve recently switched salons and they basically told me the same thing) Its the conditioner that counts. Any hair with a curl to it is more dry than a naturally straight hair. It needs more moisture to be less frizzy. Therefore, I wash with shampoo about once a week and only apply shampoo to my scalp area. The other days I just use conditioner. I still massage my scalp a little bit to get the oils out though. It took maybe 2 weeks for my hair to get used to that, but I''ve been doing it for 3 years now and I find my hair to be significantly healthier. Get a good quality deep conditioner, like Ouidad, to do once a week, and the other days, let your conditioner sit for a while anyway, like do your hair first and then wash the rest of your body, shave whatever, and then rinse your conditioner out. Ouidad is pricey, but it is specially formatted for curly hair. It can be difficult to find, but you can order online. Sign up for their emails and there are often specials. My once a week shampoo is usually whatever is cheapest
3.gif

In my July issue of Shape magazine they listed some good shampoos so tomorrow I"ll have to dig it out of my car and post their recommendations.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
OK, not that I believe everything that is in a magazine, but sometimes they have good product recommendations. This is what it says about shampoos this month:

Color-treated hair: look for products that contain proteins and ceramides to repair the cuticle and antioxidants like citamis C&E to moisturize. Sunscreen too....their recommendations are Redken''s Color Extend line or Warren-Tricomi''s PureStrength Three-C Line

Dry hair: use shampoos that are extra gentle and formulated to infuse moisture, stay away from volumizing shampoos and anything labeled clarifying. Look for ingredients like shea butter and natural oils to moisturize and proteins and lipids to strengthen....their recommendations include Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating shampoo with lemongrass extract and wheat germ lipids and the Ultra-Hydrating Balm.

Oily hair: Overcleansing can trigger your scalp to produce even more oil...look for shampoos that contain an astringent like witch hazel, rosemary and sage, and conditioners that are labled light-weight....they recommend Clairol Herbal Essences Shampoo & Conditioner for Normal to Oily hair with rosemary and jasmine extracts

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Tresemme, Deep Cleansing shampoo, Moisture Rich conditioner. I only wash my hair every-other day because I have a dry scalp and the oil keeps it healthier. I have classic Asian hair - thick, coarse and straight with a hint of a wave.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
I have fine, wavy blonde hair. It''s pretty healthy because I don''t do anything to it (I rarely even blow dry it). However, I like a thick conditioner because otherwise my hair tends to get frizzy.
I agree that the conditioner is way more important than the shampoo. I usually just go for a shampoo that isn''t overly drying or too moisturizing. Right now I use Citre Shine. I like the way it smells, and it seems to do a good job of cleaning my hair without overdrying it.

For conditioner, I use Suave 2-minute recovery conditioner. It''s so cheap...less than $2 per tube, but it works really well! I just bought it on a whim once, when the store was out of my usual conditioner. Now it''s the only conditioner I use.
I highly recommend trying it. If you don''t like it, you''re only out 2 bucks!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I swap around, but lately I''ve been using the Dove shampoo. It''s very gentle, and since I have very dry hair, it''s good for me. I also use Aussie Moist frequently, and at the pool I use the kids'' L''oreal sport and swim.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2005 5:29:08 PM
Author: IrishEyes
Whoa ame, that''s quite a list!
2.gif

I use John Freida''s Redhead shampoo with Redken''s Color Extend Conditioner. For a really good shine, I recommed Redken''s Vinyl Glam shine spray. Just spray it on dry hair before you go out, instant shine without any grease. I love it!
Vanity...heh.

To respond to Blue''s post from the magazine...regarding protein for colored hair. It is not wise to use protein products on colored hair until two weeks after you color. Protein forces color molecules out of the hairstrand, they are bigger than most color molecules.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, yeah, that reminds me! It''s not a shampoo, but something I use that makes my hair really shine and is not greasy or anything is L''Oreal Studio Line Crystal Wax. I have my hair a little shorter now, and I like to wear it in the piecey looking flipped out style. After my hair is dry, I rub a dab of it between my palms and run it through my hair, then finger comb it into place. I LOVE IT! Not only does it make my hair shiney, it keeps me from having to put sticky goop in my hair like hair spray, spritz, mousse, or hair gel. It provides a nice, flexible, and re-doable hold. Love, love, love the stuff! I don''t know if you guys know who Lisa Rinna is (she''s married to Harry Hamlin and was on some soap opera a while back) but I''m wearing my hair like hers now, and it''s soooo easy to take care of!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve got thick, curly, not course/not fine hair...

My newest favorite is m.o.p. (modern organic products). I use the hydrating shampoo and then alternate between the hydrating conditioner & the mixed greens conditioner. Not terribly expensive.

Drying straight: my big round boar bristle brush that has been through hell (all the bristles are jacked up & melted, makes it work great) & Aveda Universal Styling Creme (LOVE this stuff when straightening, cut my drying time in half & comes out smooth and shiny, no flyaways, etc.).

Curly: Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Styling Foam. Okay, I can''t say enough good things about this stuff... And I''ve tried EVERYTHING under the sun. It is like it was made for curly hair (or at least my curly hair): I get natural, pretty curls, but not frizzy or fuzzy, never crunchy or stiff. It gives me the perfect amount of body - not too full or fluffy, not flat... And, it''s a conditioning foam - so... ya know, it''s got conditioner in it!!
28.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like MOP a great deal too. I used the C-System stuff. It smelled pretty good.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I use Nick Chavez Perfect Plus shampoo and conditioner duo. Since I have highlights, I use the formula for color treated hair. This is the best shampoo and conditioner I''ve had so far. It is a little pricey, but it''s worth it. I don''t even have to use that much of it, so it kind of balances out. My hair is so soft and manageable now. It used to be so dry and frizzy from all the chemicals it has gone through. It works really well with my hair type, but it might not be the same for others. I guess you just have to keep experimenting until you get the best results.

You can get them from QVC. The shipping is fast and reliable. The also have the best return policy.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very fickle when it comes to shampoo. All my different bottles drive my husband nuts when he''s in the shower, but I catch him trying them out too. Right now I''m using the Pantene shampoo for brunettes. My hair is pretty thick and tends to be dry, so I''m all about conditioner. My absolute favorite is Alberto V05 Total Hair Recovery. The box says it''s for "one intensive treatment," but I don''t use it all at once, so it usually last me about 10 conditionings. I also live the Dove Smooth and Soft anti-frizz cream that you can put on wet or dry hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results