shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of pearl has amazing luster?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been bitten by the pearl bug, and am tempted to buy my first set of pearl studs. I am just a sucker for luster, but am not sure which type of pearl has the best luster? Also I am hoping that it can be something that I can still wear many years down the road, so am not sure what type of pearl, or size, can actually fulfill this criteria. Would be grateful if anyone has any information for a pearl novice!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of that, but the largest size (8.5 to 9.5mm) in pink was sold out, and the staff had no idea when stock is coming in :( So I was considering either getting the smaller size, AAA Freshwaters or South sea studs. Is one more durable/has more luster than the other? Is there a visual difference between the two if both were the same size?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would imagine the AAA Freshwaters or Akoya's would have a sharper luster than South Sea pearls. Why not ask PP to take a glamour shot in their light box of all three varities in one shot for a lookie lou?

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Akoya on average have the highest luster of all cultured pearls but the new breed of gem grade freshwater pearls available certainly give them a run for their money.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1335826972|3184366 said:
I would imagine the AAA Freshwaters or Akoya's would have a sharper luster than South Sea pearls. Why not ask PP to take a glamour shot in their light box of all three varities in one shot for a lookie lou?

I have tried to contact them about taking pictures, but perhaps they are busy due to Mother's Day, their replies have been very slow, which resulted in a tahitian baroque strand and some other stuff I was waiting on being bought!! I have to say the Blue Akoyas are very very lovely though, good call NacreLover!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I think due to their Mother's Day sale they are very busy. If you've got your heart set on something, or wish to compare 2 items, I would almost suggest purchasing them and doing a return. In hand is much, much better than photos anyway. Sometimes that's really the only way to know what your preferences are.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I bought these for my DD from Pearllunar on ebay, and I was pretty amazed at the luster;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-LUSTER-AAA-white-pearl-earrings-1771-/251048733282?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item3a73abaa62#ht_1743wt_999

I don't usually like freshwater pearls, I prefer South Seas or Akoya myself, but I thought they were pretty remarkable.

They also have some amazing pearl studs, http://www.ebay.com/itm/AAA-Natural-RARE-pearl-beads-GEM-Very-Round-Round-/251038579915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item801590772c#ht_17729wt_999

Their best stuff seems to be labeled "outstanding" or AAA. I think other PS members have also ordered from this vendor.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander,

thanks for the recommendation, the luster on those earrings looks great! When you received the earrings did you feel that it matched what you saw in the pictures, better, or worse?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The earrings I got were just a touch shinier (higher luster) than the photo.

I think their photos are pretty darn accurate.

If you find a pair of pearls that you like, I think you can ask them to make them into earrings. Or just order their earrings. Be sure to get the ones with "superior", "outrageous", or AAA luster. The earrings I got were "outrageous", and they're pretty amazing.

The packaging is pretty dismal though, just a plastic baggie. It was okay for my DD, because I had an earring box lying around and I just slipped them in there.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander|1335920497|3185214 said:
The earrings I got were just a touch shinier (higher luster) than the photo.

I think their photos are pretty darn accurate.

If you find a pair of pearls that you like, I think you can ask them to make them into earrings. Or just order their earrings. Be sure to get the ones with "superior", "outrageous", or AAA luster. The earrings I got were "outrageous", and they're pretty amazing.

The packaging is pretty dismal though, just a plastic baggie. It was okay for my DD, because I had an earring box lying around and I just slipped them in there.

Thanks! I bit the bullet and bought a few pairs of their "outrageous" pearl studs to see how it looks like IRL. Will post pics when I get them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results