shape
carat
color
clarity

What tools do YOU have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
So, I have gone online to purchase some tools to make me a more savvy diamond consumer. I haven''t hit the "submit" button yet (its been 2 weeks or so)because I get the feeling I''m going overboard. I''m not sure I actually need any of this but I can''t make myself stop wanting them. Here is what is in my cart....

Consumer Tool Kit (loupe, ideal scope,tweezer)
ASET scope
ideal light (so that I don''t have to figure out what angle to tilt the ASET scope at...or will I still have to do this anyway?)
CZ for claibration
2 ultrasonic cleaners (one is for my friend--I just cleaned her ring with the jewel jet 2 days ago and it took us FOREVER! She hadn''t cleaned her ring in over 3 years....or maybe I should just get her a Connoisseurs jar)

Feel free to sway me either way..I''m open to suggestions.
19.gif

What''s in your diamond tool kit? Did you find that you didn''t really need something you purchased?

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who did you buy your stone from? Some vendors will supply a basic set with their stones.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
LMAO! Ummmmmm....I haven't bought a stone from anywhere yet! I'll be purchasing one from GOG soon but truth be told they have all that equipment there so I really don't need it. However, my husband does have a diamond he purchased for my daughter. He plans to buy her one every year
23.gif
and so I guess I was using that to justify part of my purchase. But I don't really have any plans to order anything from the Internet so I guess it is overkill.

BTW, can the ideal scope or the aset be used on mounted diamonds?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG is one of the vendors that will give you a tool kit with your purchase. Check with them what is the tool kit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 9:03:29 PM
Author: fabienne
LMAO! Ummmmmm....I haven't bought a stone from anywhere yet! I'll be purchasing one from GOG soon but truth be told they have all that equipment there so I really don't need it. However, my husband does have a diamond he purchased for my daughter. He plans to buy her one every year
23.gif
and so I guess I was using that to justify part of my purchase. But I don't really have any plans to order anything from the Internet so I guess it is overkill.

Yes, also you will have them in case of any future diamond purchases! A good basic kit to me is a loupe, ASET and Idealscopes. An US cleaner is also a good tool to have.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 4:53:59 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/16/2009 9:03:29 PM
23.gif

Yes, also you will have them in case of any future diamond purchases! A good basic kit to me is a loupe, ASET and Idealscopes. An US cleaner is also a good tool to have.
Ditto.

As for your friends US, are you paying for it or is she? If you are, is she going to use it? I just wouldn't want you to pay for it if it's possibly just going to sit there....In that case a jar of cleaner might be better. lol

The ASET/IS would be particularly helpful if you ever peruse antiques shops looking at old cuts.
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:56:37 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Who did you buy your stone from? Some vendors will supply a basic set with their stones.
Ditto, WF gives you a few tools w/your ACA purchase. I have several loupes 6 of them, thanks to my hubby.
28.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would love a loupe. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and I absolutely love it
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i need a ASET scope.

axqt.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my cleaning tools.

q78x.jpg

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire,

I recognize the tweezers, Ideal scope and the H&A viewer. Do I also see a polishing cloth and "claw" tweezers? What else do you have there? I''m not familiar with everything in your picture.

Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 3:24:13 PM
Dancing Fire,

I recognize the tweezers, Ideal scope and the H&A viewer. Do I also see a polishing cloth and ''claw'' tweezers? What else do you have there? I''m not familiar with everything in your picture.

Thanks

Is that a diamond tester???

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:26:22 PM
GOG is one of the vendors that will give you a tool kit with your purchase. Check with them what is the tool kit.
My stone is from GOG. They included a loupe and H&A viewer. (It''s an H&A stone.)

I have been tempted to invest in some tools too, but haven''t made the plunge yet. What site are you thinking of ordering from?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 3:26:06 PM

Date: 4/17/2009 3:24:13 PM
Dancing Fire,

I recognize the tweezers, Ideal scope and the H&A viewer. Do I also see a polishing cloth and ''claw'' tweezers? What else do you have there? I''m not familiar with everything in your picture.

Thanks

Is that a diamond tester???
yep, and the tool on top is a hand held diamond scope by Gemoro.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! If you buy an ideal cut stone, I don''t think you need any tools at all! However, a loupe does come in handy to check your prongs and a small ultrasonic is terrific for keeping the ring clean. Once the stone is set, I don''t see a huge reason to need a hearts and arrows viewer (since you won''t be able to see the hearts), but I did get one with purchases from GOG and WF. Those sit in the drawer but I do use the loupe and ultrasonic.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
What does a diamond tester do? What about the diamond scope?

Karend--I''m not at home but the website is like Gem Appraisers or something. Its the website that Dave Atlas used to own.

diamondseeker....I will take the loupe out if I buy my diamond soon, and the US cleaner. My friend''s bday isn''t until August and if she still seems to need or want one then I''ll get it. I''m keeping mine though for sure!

Let me think about the other stuff......

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don''t need a diamond tester because you''ll buy a lab graded stone. You don''t need to test it to see if it is really a diamond. That might come in handy when buying at antique shops, pawn shops, etc., though!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some locking tweezers, a few loupes, an US cleaner and a steam cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results