shape
carat
color
clarity

What to you do about insurance appraisal

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I inherited a bunch of stuff and I've been buying little things here and there, and I need to get insurance. My jeweler is asking $120 to appraise each item and I have a lot. Have you heard of anyone appraising as a lot or per hour? TIA!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I know my appraiser also goes by the piece as it can take a bit of time. Have you expressed how many pieces you have, maybe you can get a better price for the bunch?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per his website, highly respected independent appraiser (and longtime PS trade member) David Atlas charges $150 minimum for first item and $80 for additional items for insurance appraisals ... https://www.datlas.com/blog/fees/ ... I've mailed stuff to Mr. Atlas but if you're not comfortable with shipping your treasures and he's not in your geographic area, maybe utilize the PS Appraiser Resource tool (https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers) so you can find a local appraiser with a similar fee schedule.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t heard of per hour, but I have heard of reduced rates for multiple items or doing a flat fee for an estate collection. Also, I’ve had appraisers do a reduced fee for a verbal appraisal so that you can cull down your collection and decide which are the most valuable to do a full written appraisal.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think long and hard about what is worth appraising and insuring. When my parents passed over the past decade, I had a handful of things appraised for the sake of "equitable distribution." The vast majority -- although pretty to look at and fun to wear -- were not worth appraising or insuring. For example, plain gold jewelry (hoops, chains) is maybe 2X the melt value unless antique, or French, or exquisite workmanship, etc. "Commercial-grade" colored stones have no real value. Maybe 1/4-ct diamond and up...? Others may disagree.

The excellent place I have used for appraisals is $100 for the first piece and $50 per piece thereafter.

If $100 to appraise a piece feels too high, it is probably not worth appraising.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in the UK, the appraiser I went to, charged by the hour, rather than the item.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results