shape
carat
color
clarity

What to wear to a Black Tie wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I have a wedding to go to at the end of the month in Texas. I''m getting the impression this is one of those really nice big Texas fancy weddings (actually I know it is!). We don''t do so much of that in Florida so I''m a little at a loss on how to dress. In FL you can wear a short dress no matter what. I''m just wondering if I need to go long for this one. Also FI is in the wedding, so maybe I need to be more dressy?
What are your thoughts? Short or long? And if I go long is there any colors to avoid as to not be too loud?
TIA!
21.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I like to think BCBG cocktail would be appropriate.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would go long.

As far as color goes, just pick one that suits you well [as long as it is not white!]

I have been looking at gowns online for an event in September and Nordstrom''s has a nice collection. You can even search by body type! You might want to start there to get some ideas.

Hope this helps.

D.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Crooked Rock - If you want to follow the etiquette rules, they say that you should wear a long gown to a black tie wedding. That said, almost no one follows that rule and I think it is perfectly ok to wear a short dress as long as it is a dressier cocktail dress (think richer fabrics, embellishments) and you accesorize appropriately. I actually had a black tie wedding and many of my friends wore short dresses (although most of the older women still wore long dresses). I myself have worn both long and short dresses to black tie weddings.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
long.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Long, but it doesn''t have to be a gown.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Long! Something gorgeous!

As for your second Q, I personally avoid white, cream, and fire-engine red at weddings. Can you post a pic of what you decide? (Gotta love the all-out glamour of a long gown!)

f-d-l

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 12:31:55 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Long! Something gorgeous!

As for your second Q, I personally avoid white, cream, and fire-engine red at weddings. Can you post a pic of what you decide? (Gotta love the all-out glamour of a long gown!)

f-d-l
Agreed.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely a long gown, however given that the wedding is in Texas and the heat may be a factor, I would look for more of a summer weight fabric in a dark color. Think chiffon instead of satin.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 12:45:10 PM
Author: CrookedRock
I was afraid of that! I bought a cute short black dress that I guess I can wear to the rehersal dinner... right?

The thing is I never wear long! And I hate to buy it and not want to wear it again. Here''s what''s catching my eye...

1- Loving this, just not sure if it''s dressy enough

2- I''m into green lately

3- Pretty with a lil extra jazzz, which i like

#3 is probably the best match for a black tie event, but they''re all such pretty dresses. (Oh, and if you''re really digging the fabric of #1, I will point out that they make a casual knee-length everyday dress in that fabric that is really, really cute on; it''s currently at B&M Nordstroms.) Will you be doing your shopping online CR, or will you have the opportunity to try on dresses locally?

f-d-l

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
The first one is my favorite--I think that would be perfect for a wedding!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've been to many blow out weddings in Texas.. Many were black tie. You can definitely wear a cocktail length dress as long as it is very dressy. In fact, I think the norm around here is to wear the shorter dresses as opposed to the long ones.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Numero 3 for the wedding...but I think you can find something even BETTER (A LOT of woman will be wearing black CR)

I will say that I loveeeeeeeeee # 1 & # 2...I might just have to check them out myself
31.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies... I would say that #1 is probably the most me. I love prints and strapless. Honestly if FI didn''t hate prints my wedding dress might have been paisley.
2.gif

#2 I like bc of the color and the strapless, and I thought the green might be dressier than the first one with the print.
#3 Just looks formal LOL

As for trying them on in person. I can... I live about 15 mins from a mall with all these stores. Honestly though, don''t flame me for saying this... I hate Malls. I usually shop online and order a bunch of stuff and just send back what I don''t want.

Bia~ I agree with you on the black thing. It''s a lil boring.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
CrookedRock, those are gorgeous pics! I will ditto all of the ladies and say that a floor-length dress is best. Out of the ones you posted, I love #1 the most. At first I thought the print was too casual, but then I noticed the dress was silk. IMO, silk is gorgeous and glamourous regardless of the print!

I also saw this BCBG to the side of the first link.
30.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Technically speaking, black tie means formal, so yes, a floor length dress.

That being said, in Texas, I''ve noticed, no one pays strict attention to etiquette. Take your cue from the people who are inviting you, and the social crowd they are part of. If they are high falutin'', then follow etiquette guidelines, just in case. It is always -- always -- better to be overdressed than underdressed at these types of events.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to Nordie''s, Bloomie''s seems to have additional long gowns in silk made by BCBG that do not currently appear on the other site. Some additional options, which have similarities to what you''ve posted but might hit both formality and color:

Soft green chiffon silk BCBG

BCBG Palms stretch silk halter gown

For something completely different, A bold DVF dress

Okay, a personal bias, I''ve been digging this color recently: Blue NM

So many options!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
CR, you cheeky monkey-- *you* start a thread, and *I* want to buy a dress now! Hee hee!

(I love this cocktail dress: Dark red cocktail dress

Totally not for a wedding, but how cute is this??: cream/black and floral day dress

Aah, Missoni: Missoni Long Strapless Dress

Crooked Rock, the only problem with this one is that you''d be hit on again and again as your sigO is attending to his attendant duties: Too sexy for my dress )

Okay, none of these might help you... but aren''t they great eye candy nonetheless?
31.gif

f-d-l

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 2:30:09 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
CR, you cheeky monkey-- *you* start a thread, and *I* want to buy a dress now! Hee hee!

(I love this cocktail dress: Dark red cocktail dress

Totally not for a wedding, but how cute is this??: cream/black and floral day dress

Aah, Missoni: Missoni Long Strapless Dress

Crooked Rock, the only problem with this one is that you''d be hit on again and again as your sigO is attending to his attendant duties: Too sexy for my dress )

Okay, none of these might help you... but aren''t they great eye candy nonetheless?
31.gif

f-d-l
$4000 + CHANGE!!! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS thank you. I totally agree that overdressed is far better than under. There is nothing worse than being the underdressed person in a very formal situation.

tlh, you hit the nail on the head with the last 2 you posted. I had looked at those too.

And Fleur!! How dare you tease me with that last one! I would almost kill for that dress. It''s my colors and everything!! grrrr

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though cocktail length is probably ok, I dig any chance to wear long. Just think How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, that gold dress. It reminds me stand up straight and walk like a hooker with really good posture.
31.gif
And at the end of the month, it will probably still be chilly, right?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 5:14:55 PM
Author: JulieN
Even though cocktail length is probably ok, I dig any chance to wear long. Just think How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, that gold dress. It reminds me stand up straight and walk like a hooker with really good posture.
31.gif
And at the end of the month, it will probably still be chilly, right?

And that's what a gentleman's pre-warmed tuxedo jacket is for.
31.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Julie, now that I know I should probably be wearing long, I''m diggin the idea too. It''s true you don''t wear it too often. And I''ll do my best to remember to stand straight and act like a hooker. Whoops I mean walk... LOL
9.gif

Gypsy you looked gorgeous!!! Seriously everytime someone posts pics on PS I am amazed at what a good lookin bunch we are LOL
3.gif

And FYI... I ordered all the dresses I posted and the black strapless one with the rose from Macys. I''ll let you ladies know! Thanks a ton for the help!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 12:23:58 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 2/11/2009 12:22:04 PM

long.

Ditto.

Double ditto, to me black tie is always long

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 10:19:15 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 2/11/2009 12:23:58 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/11/2009 12:22:04 PM

long.

Ditto.

Double ditto, to me black tie is always long
I agree.... With that said... Living in Florida comes with it''s own set of rules. Short is pretty much never frowned upon even in snooty Palm Beach where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results