shape
carat
color
clarity

Evening gown hem length... and shoes. Oh... and undergarments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, after trying on so many gowns I am just sick of looking anymore. I've decided that this is the gown the I will wear to the NYE wedding we are attending.

Gypsy%20Nords%20Olive%20Gown.jpg

I found a lovely crystal Dabby Reid necklace and earring set at nordstrom yesterday (will take pics and post) that look perfect with the gown-- the crystals flash olive and dark gold.

Then on a whim I stopped in at nine west and found a pair of peep toe patent slingback dress heels in a gray/ olive green that is a really great color match to the gown. Only problem is that that the gown looks best with 1.5-2 inch heels (like the ones I'm wearing in the pic). And these are 3.5 inch heels. So the the hem about 2-2.5 inches of the floor. Should I keep looking for shoes, or will these be okay do you think? http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28910102.html (it's the grey color on the site, but in person it's really a dark olive) I paid 30 for them... not 90, BTW.

Also... I need undergarment suggestions to keep the um... girls afloat but not squished. Help?

I also picked up a metallic clutch from Aldo that is somewhere between gold and pewter (micellanious metallic color) that I hope will work and not look too cheap. I really wanted a Laura Merkin clutch... but with the holidays and everything I just couldn't justify the expense. http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=63779226&&var=d&ckey=US&colorid=86

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that you in the pic? You look great!!!! Spanx.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy! You look fabulous in that gown! I have to say that the hem looks perfect in the shoes you are wearing in the picture. I''d be careful not to bring it up much higher than it is right now...hems are a pet peeve of mine. I like them about a half-inch off the ground from my heel.

Is there enough fabric to let out the hem in case you decide to go with the higher heels?

OH!

Date: 11/26/2007 4:37:06 PM
Author: Skippy123
Is that you in the pic? You look great!!!! Spanx.
I ordered some Spanx today!!! I hope they work for me!!!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, that''s me in the gown. Thank you for the compiments
emembarrassed.gif
. I put on 5 pounds since then (vegas and thanksgiving) that I have to lose before NYE though so that I can look right in the gown. Good thing we just bought a gym membership!

Okay so I''m not the only one who is fussy about hems? Good. I think (John is going to kill me) that the shoes are too high as there just isn''t enough length to let the hem down at all on the gown. But had to make sure. I''ll have him take pics of the gown on me with the shoes so I can double check. But I think the heels are too high for the gown. Which sucks as they are just hte right color and style, and at a bargain price.

Spanx? Really? I''m a 36D... I didn''t see anything on there that looked like it would really work for the girls (saw lots for the belly though, and I''ll be investing). Any bra or longline recommendations?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 5:05:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
Yes, that''s me in the gown. Thank you for the compiments
emembarrassed.gif
. I put on 5 pounds since then (vegas and thanksgiving) that I have to lose before NYE though so that I can look right in the gown. Good thing we just bought a gym membership!

Okay so I''m not the only one who is fussy about hems? Good. I think (John is going to kill me) that the shoes are too high as there just isn''t enough length to let the hem down at all on the gown. But had to make sure. I''ll have him take pics of the gown on me with the shoes so I can double check. But I think the heels are too high for the gown. Which sucks as they are just hte right color and style, and at a bargain price.

Spanx? Really? I''m a 36D... I didn''t see anything on there that looked like it would really work for the girls (saw lots for the belly though, and I''ll be investing). Any bra or longline recommendations?
Good idea! I''ll be the "hem police" and tell you the honest truth of yes or no (my opinion, of course) to the new shoes
27.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Hubba hubba! Girl, loving the dress! You have such a tiny waist and that dress is showing it off.

You may want to consider the Nu Bra -- it''s sorta like stick on chicken fillets. The girls will float. If not, Nord''s has a ton of really good ones. You can check them out online: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/6010819/0~2376776~2374327~6010810~6010819

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here are some green shoes by J. Renee at Zappos that have a shorter heel... they are 2 3/4 so it's still over what you want. At least it's a possibility if you can't find something else.

I'm attaching the close-up because the whole shoe view does not look like the same color.

ETA: after posting the pic, I realize it's not as close in color to your dress as I thought. Love your dress, btw!

jrenee_green.jpg

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
For undergarments, try Le Mystere. Something like this would be perfect le mystere

I don't have that exact bustier, but I have a ton of Le Mystere and the quality and comfort is great.

If you want shape and support on the bottom, maybe try the bustier with Spanx power panties or the slim cognito mid thigh shaper.

I have different needs for different body parts so I often mix and match shapewear. Its not uncomfortable if you wear the good stuff.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That is a fabulous dress! Good choice! It really looks great on you....
I don't even think you need a bra with that? My only comment (don't hate me...and it's still not anything horrible) is that the girls are spilling out a little bit on the top...Would no bra actually help? Can it be let out a TOUCH on the top?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, gah, I think you look absolutely gorgeous in that dress, at least your headless self does anyway!!! LOL! I''m thinking lower heels for sure, don''t mess up that hemline with super high heels, plus you''ll be able to dance the night away, and definitely do a long line bra that keeps those fab girls tucked in and not overflowing your armpits. No offense, my friend, trust me I would give anything to have your problem, hee hee. But you know, if you end up losing those extra 5 lbs you''ll have a little more room in the chest area so you might be ok with just a strapless bra. I would go bra-shopping closer to the date of your event, I think. Spanx? I don''t know, I''d have to see you walk from behind to determine if there was jiggle to be contained. If you think there is, then get the ones that go up to your underwire and down to mid-thigh, that way all your middle areas are encased, hee hee.
9.gif
Gorgeous dress...your jewelry sounds perfect, I''m glad you ended the trying-on madness with this number, it''s fabulous!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 10:00:50 PM
Author: moremoremore
That is a fabulous dress! Good choice! It really looks great on you....
I don''t even think you need a bra with that? My only comment (don''t hate me...and it''s still not anything horrible) is that the girls are spilling out a little bit on the top...Would no bra actually help? Can it be let out a TOUCH on the top?
The girls are spilling. I totally agree... I''m wearing a schooshing smooshing and slightly padded bra that''s doing that to them in those pics. I''ve tried it braless... but I need a little something, I feel. Going to have to check out the chicken filets (hehehe).

I think the 5 pounds will help too. I hope so anyway. Sera I LOVE those shoes. But you''re right... the color isn''t right. I''m reconsidering the amazon ones as well, as I think they look more taupe than olive. Not sure though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay here''s the hem from the back with the high heels.

Gypsy Olive Hem with high heels.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the hem from the side with the same heels.

Gypsy Olive Hem with high heels side.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the necklace (it''s a little crooked in all the pics)... and I''m the girls are um... free (see what I mean... I need a some support). The earrings are matching crystal drops.

necklace and free-style girls.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s me in the dress, the necklace (still crooked), the high heels, no bra... and Hally.

Gypsy and Hally.jpg

laine

Brilliant_Rock
No undergarment advice, but I think the necklaces and shoes look great! I don't think the dress looks too short with those heels, and when you consider the deal you got, plus the fact that no one will be eye level with the hem, I'd stick with those. Good luck with finding a bra!

BTW, I really like the shape of that dress on you--it does nice things to your curves. Did you ever decide about doing something different with the straps or are you going to leave it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I want to cap sleeve it or make the straps wider, but haven''t taken a good look at it to see how practical it is. I hate the bulge on the side of my arms so, I''d like to cover them if at all possible. But I also don''t want to negitively impact the lines of the gown.

Any other opinions on the shoes would be fab. I should have held off on buying the amazon pair.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy - If that picture (the one with your adorable kitty at your feet) is of the higher heeled shoes, I think you''d be fine with them! You really can''t tell a difference (IMO) in the length of the gown compared to the shorter heels. I think those work!!!

As for undergarments - I can''t help you there - I used padded bras and push ups for my tiny girls....
23.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that dress looks fabulous on you -- very sexy/curvy, but still classy.

For undergarments, I love Le Mystere bras. I haven''t tried the strapless ones, but I practically live in their regular bras because they give such a nice smooth line under clothes. I find they run a bit small, though -- I normally wear a 34D, but need a 34DD in this brand. These two look like possibilities:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2883033/0~2376776~2374325~2382389?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2382389&P=1
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2815321/0~2376776~2374325~2382389?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2382389&P=1

I had a mermaid style wedding gown, and the Spanx really helped everything look nice and smooth under the dress.

I love the necklace you chose. I am not sure about the higher heels. The picture from the front looks fine, but the hem looks a bit short from the back and side.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:17:01 PM
Author: Kay

For undergarments, I love Le Mystere bras. I haven''t tried the strapless ones, but I practically live in their regular bras because they give such a nice smooth line under clothes. I find they run a bit small, though -- I normally wear a 34D, but need a 34DD in this brand. These two look like possibilities:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2883033/0~2376776~2374325~2382389?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2382389&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2815321/0~2376776~2374325~2382389?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2382389&P=1

I had a mermaid style wedding gown, and the Spanx really helped everything look nice and smooth under the dress.

Great minds think alike
5.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, you are so adorable in that dress!!!

Linda

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Linda!!!

Kay and Goldenstar, I'll make some time to pop over to Nordstroms, with my gown (need to talk to their seamstress about some sort of modified strap or cap sleeve anyway) and try on some Le Mysterie Strapless bras and some spanx as well.

I'm now glad I ordered the amazon shoes even though they are a little staid for my tastes, cause the hem length from the side particularly is bugging me-- I hope the color is a match on those. It's true no one will be at hem height, so if the amazon ones don't work maybe wear my Charles Davids I'm wearing in the first pic and get a matching bronze clutch from Lauren Merkin. I really want one of her clutches.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 11:21:15 PM
Author: goldenstar

Date: 11/27/2007 9:17:01 PM
Author: Kay

Great minds think alike
5.gif
Tee hee. Yes, success in a tight dress is all about the right under garments (or spending way more time in the gym than I can manage).
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still haven't gone for undergarments (will on Friday)

But the Amazon shoes by Martinez Valero just got here and they are PERFECT!!

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Martinez-Valero-Womens-Rhinestone-Tassels/dp/B000GE43GW I

First the heel is EXACTLY the right height for the gown-- 2 inches. Second the color is an EXACT match. Third they are nice silk and all leather everywhere else and NICELY made. Fourth the BOW on the matches the bow on the gown! They are PERFECT!

The nine west shoes are going back!

Here's a pic!

martinez valero olive shoes.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

The shoes are PERFECT!!!! You are going to be a knockout!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aren''t they though? I opened the box with trepidation and was so PLEASED. First time I''ve ordered shoes online. Who knew?!?!

justageek

Shiny_Rock
Love the shoes! Shoe shopping online can be really convenient -- thousands of shoes at your fingertips instead of walking through dozens of stores to try on 3-4 pairs per store
38.gif

Updated pics? Is your ensemble now complete??

------

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes...perfect shoes for the dress! Very pretty outfit!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DS and Linda!

No updated pic yet, sorry!! I needed the next size up on the shoes, so they are in the mail (they were fine for a little while, but for a Catholic ceremony followed by a reception that ends at 2 am... I needed some extra padding in the form of gel in-soles... so next size up).

I bought the undergarments, and they really help the boob-age issues. Not changing the straps, just shortening them... so they are at Nordstrom getting tailored.

I did change the jewelry today. I didn't like the clutch I bought (really cheap looking thing) so I took it back... and well, went into Ann Taylor to browse and found this jewelry that I liked better, as the earrings will actually show up against my dark hair, where the Dabby Reid's didn't. Plus they were half the price, and do not look it at ALL in person. The pic from the website really sucks to be honest...

Here's the necklace... looks much better in person, VERY sparkely crystals

And here are the earrings. I'll take actual pics of the whole thing next week, when I have it all together

Now all I need is a clutch and I'm working on that.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results