shape
carat
color
clarity

What to think about this setting??

Kim123

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody!

I want to share with you pics of a pendant what I got from my goldsmith. The story was that I provided him with the stones but came out they were too big for the hat side and I offered that I will bring new ones if he will tell me the size that setter needs. As he was already running out of time, he didn't let me know about new sizes and said they managed to use the ones that was too big. So here are the pics. Personally I don't like that the stones are sticking out from the other side of the gold and as the pendant is for a child I am concerned she can feel these tipping points against her skin... Is this kind of setting normal or acceptable? I even don't know if it would be possible to re-do it.

_32445.jpg

_32446.jpg

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
It's such a cute setting. I would be concerned that the stones would break from being so exposed, especially being that a child is going to wear it. Another thing is that the child might feel as if they are being scratched by the stones and not want to wear it. I'd have the jeweler fix that. Just my 2 cents.

Kim123

Rough_Rock
NYCsparkle|1437274477|3904657 said:
It's such a cute setting. I would be concerned that the stones would break from being so exposed, especially being that a child is going to wear it. Another thing is that the child might feel as if they are being scratched by the stones and not want to wear it. I'd have the jeweler fix that. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you so much for your opinion!
My concern is that, how is it possible to fix. Replace them with smaller stones? Because the holes are already made for bigger ones...
I was trying to wear it for a bit to see if I feel anything.....and not really, only maybe if to press it against the skin...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it can be replaced easily because the larger holes are drilled to fit. What is the mm sizes of the stones? If very small, you might not even feel the pokes.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, the stones should not be poking out! They are eventually going to fall out, since this kind of setting is not meant to hold stones against being knocked in the back. Notice that they aren't flush set, but rather held in by the little whiskers of metal. With a proper base, this wouldn't be a problem but without proper support, I wouldn't bet on it.

The problem seems to have started because the sheet used for the pendant is very thin (I am guessing 0.5mm). It wouldn't be a problem for the pendant if there hadn't been any stones set in it. One alternative would be to solder a gallery along the edge (underneath, so it wouldn't show), raising the pendant a little so the culets would be protected and wouldn't poke. However, the best solution would be to remake the piece with proper sheet (at least a little thicker than the total depth of the stones).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, that is a darling pendant! Whoever is going to get it is one lucky child!
Lady_Disdain|1437507210|3905736 said:
One alternative would be to solder a gallery along the edge (underneath, so it wouldn't show), raising the pendant a little so the culets would be protected and wouldn't poke. However, the best solution would be to remake the piece with proper sheet (at least a little thicker than the total depth of the stones).

I agree with Lady D re the gallery. The stones on the hat are very near the edge, which would make a gallery that's sort of like a raised (but hidden) rim very difficult. A variation would be put a "plate" underneath, cut in the shape of the top but slightly smaller, using a few strategically placed struts or balls to give it the proper distance from the top. Something like the plate dawnxcui used with her pear-shaped rose-cut diamond. In this schematic, the plate is represented in red:

plate_1.png

The plate could be an open mesh that would protect the stones from impact (and restless little fingers) while still protecting a youngster's tender flesh from pointy culets.

More about the plate discussion here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/roc...tures-what-do-you-guys-think-t206878-150.html

angelajackson339

Rough_Rock
This setting is good. Even I was worry about my ring to set because I didn't like its design and I wanted a little bit change in it.

Kim123

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for replying!
Well, the stones are not expensive or anything on the hat, so this wouldn't be my concern if they even fall (it is not pleasant thouhg). The stones are 2-2,5mm.
I will let it to be like this at the moment but will consider your suggestions if it will bother the child or the stones start to fall...

The whole case started with the fact that I didn't have the chanche to replace the stones for smaller ones and they just made a decision and placed too big stones.

But thank you again, appreciate it!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally love the setting!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results