shape
carat
color
clarity

What to securely package a loose diamond in for shipping?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

I am looking to mail my loose diamond (gulp) to the jeweler, and I'm very nervous about it! It has to be sent via USPS registered, certified mail if I'm not mistaken. Right now, it's in just a plastic ziploc bag. Not the most secure thing obviously. ;)) So my question is how should I package the diamond inside the shipping box so that it has some secure padding around it? What have you mailed your loose diamonds in? Thank you for the advice!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What to securely package a loose diamond in for shipping

I put mine in one of those tiny plastic Ziplock type bags inside a cheapie cardboard jewelry box with cotton inside. I taped the small jewelry box shut, then I put that inside of a small box that I covered completely in packing tape. I then put the taped up box inside a padded envelope. USPS won't let you send things registered mail in a package with tape all over it, which is why I went with the padded envelope.

ETA forgot that I just took printer paper and crumpled it up and put it in the outer box that I taped up.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think my local post offices require it be in a box sealed only with brown paper tape. They won't do registered any other way.

What I would probably do is get the diamond in the little ziploc, put it in a regular envelope, seal it, put it in a padded envelope, seal it, stamp or write over the seal, then put it inside a box of some kind, seal with papertape.

SC86

Shiny_Rock

When I got shipped my loose stone, the stone was first wrapped in folded tissue and then put into a sealed envelope. This was then put into a large padded envelope with extra tissue crumpled on the bottom and sealed. The large padded envelope was placed into a medium size rectangular FedEx and extra clear packing tape was put in the seal. So basically box within a box within a box type of setup!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you everyone for the advice! Is Registered mail pretty reliable? I've heard horror stories. :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I have sent things registered mail twice with no issues. I tend to pack in a box within a box and lots of shopping bags/extra cardboard thrown in so it doesn't rattle.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I think USPS registered mail is amongst the most reliable. I'd also get insurance for it as well. Then you can sleep easy! ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wait stope the presses... Laila are you SETTING your DIAMOND????

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1314077028|2997166 said:
Wait stope the presses... Laila are you SETTING your DIAMOND????

The halo setting is already done! I've seen it and it's gorgeous! A lot of finger coverage though--I'm a bit worried that it's cocktail-esque. But DH says I will be comfortable with it in no time. :naughty:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47|1314076286|2997162 said:
I have sent things registered mail twice with no issues. I tend to pack in a box within a box and lots of shopping bags/extra cardboard thrown in so it doesn't rattle.

Yes, that's what I'll do. Envelope inside bubble mailer inside a box.

Good to know you've had no issues!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1314077592|2997173 said:

no issues but nervous each time!

you will have to pack the outer box in brown tape...the post office may or may not provide this (one time when I went they insisted I use their tape...another time they said that they couldn't provide it but ended up providing it anyway...) but I think that is the only type of tape that can be used.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

slg47|1314107219|2997319 said:
Laila619|1314077592|2997173 said:

no issues but nervous each time!

you will have to pack the outer box in brown tape...the post office may or may not provide this (one time when I went they insisted I use their tape...another time they said that they couldn't provide it but ended up providing it anyway...) but I think that is the only type of tape that can be used.

My experience is that you have to use their tape....it's a special kind...it's adhesive isn't sticky...you have to wet it first and they usually give a sponge. Takes forever!!

1. YES you have to use their tape. I once brought a package and that to be re-tapped with their stuff. They do this because they stamp ALL OVER IT. Every inch, and seam. So you can tell it hasn't been TOUCHED since it left your hands.

2. Don't be afraid to put it in boxes within boxes within more boxes or mailers. Every "layer" you put it in, is just a little safer. It makes it extremely difficult for someone to just cut a hole in the box, fish around and grab the stone.

3. Don't be afraid to put a magazine or something in there too to add weight.

4. Depending on the cost of your diamond..... I've also sent things express mail OVERNIGHT delivery. I would mail something by 2pm (or whatever) with insurance and guaranteed delivery by noon the next day. It left me with way less time worrying, and was cheaper (insurance wise) than registered mail which takes longer. This isn't for everyone.. or every project. Also, the package is hand delivered and HAS to be signed for- it can not be waived.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do you have you new halo then???

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you slg, centralsquare, and bean! Very helpful info! I'm pretty sure my post office does provide the brown tape.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1314122118|2997520 said:
Do you have you new halo then???

Dreamer, I sure do! DH has the better camera, so this pic isn't the best, but here's a sneak peek. The stone isn't set in it yet, it's just resting in the prongs (hence my question about mailing a loose diamond). Once I get everything back and set, I will do a proper write up with pics. Check out the finger coverage a halo gives! :naughty: :naughty:

Laila_newhalo.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wowza! looks great! So you had the mounting sent for inspection before setting the diamond? Smart. Can you give me a sneak peek at the gallery? I have been waiting to see how you would set your diamond for years so throw me a bone!

I cannot see one little bit of your finger, now that is great coverage! I have ruled out halos for myself after trying them on numerous times -- and also because I (shock of shock) actually think my diamond is big enough, even too big!! -- but it sure looks great on you!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

:love:
Can't wait to see the final!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you gals!! :)

Dreamer, sorry no profile shot, I already sent it back! I will take tons of pics when it's finally on my finger though. It's a pretty simple gallery though--the halo attaches to the shank with curved struts (no donut). If I find a low enough wedding band, it will sit flush.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results