shape
carat
color
clarity

What to put in antique semi mount other than a diamond?

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I'd probably get a *you know* OEC to fill it while I shopped for a permanent stone. I think just about any coloured stone would look lovely! Perhaps your birthstone or something to match whatever colour you wear most often?

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Well diamond is my birthstone lol! I never buy colored stones because I know nothing about them... Perhaps the oec or omc lookalike... Though I am so I love with diamonds that I don't know if I can tolerate a lookalike.

The pics of morganite and kunzite have a lovely liquidy look to them. Plus I adore warm colors.

I could go for a light blue sapphire but again, I know nothing about them!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What kind of colored stones do you like? What colors? How often would you wear this ring (i.e. how durable does your stone need to be)? You could post a question in the Colored Stones section of PS, they will help you find something beautiful within your budget. I like spinels and garnets, they come in so many colors.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light blue sapphire would be lovely! You definitely should post in the CS section, the people there are pros. Also, if you don't plan to wear the ring too much, I'd consider an aquamarine. They can be so beautiful... but I don't think they're meant for everyday wear in a ring.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds amazing - will we get to see the setting you have purchased?

I'd go for a coloured stone that was popular in the era - def sapphires/rubies and emeralds... but what about an opal or amethyst?

Heck --- probably ANYTHING would look amazing!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Ok - I will post a pic after I get back from the jeweler... And will ask at the colored forum. But honestly I only really like diamonds! I think I could live with a clearish lt blue sapphire. I like pink too... And yellow.

So, I'll get a size from the jeweler and report back!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous setting for that price - what a deal!
Whatever stone you DO get for it, I would make sure it is a high quality one - no wondowing or anything that would detract from this setting! You sure would not want to put a sub-par gemstone in this baby!
I like all sorts of garnets - they come in alot of colors and are very stable, so you could wear it alot. Plus they also sparkle almost like a diamond would. If budget would allow, a demantoid garnet or tsavorite would be nice if you like green.
I am not much of a sapphire person because I do not feel that they have that sparkle, at least the ones that I have seen.
Morganite - some of the darker peach ones are spectacular, too.
Be sure and post the ring when it is done - can't wait to see it!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you like yellow, ask the CS people about chrysoberyl. It's a very sparkly, light yellow stone. It's not yellow like a yellow diamond, it's more greenish yellow... but can be quite sparkly and nice.

I wouldn't say all garnets sparkle equally... demantoid and tsavorite are indeed incredible stones, but at that size they will cost quite a bit. But you could get a cheaper garnet that has a great cut, and that could potentially sparkle quite a bit and be very beautiful.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Ok I'm reading this on my phone so I'll be brief but THANK YOU for all the recommendations! It is truly like a foreign language to me though! I def don't want something cheapie in it though - it is heavy!

I'm just out of the jewelers and he said it needs an 8 mm stone, so that's a start. I'll start reading on the CS forum tonight!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you need an 8mm... i guess a coloured diamond may be WAY out of budget!

Aquamarine is a very soft pale colour that may appeal...?
Montana sapphire - mainly denim-ish in colour but they also come in a variety of tones/hues/saturations?

You'll have such fun checking out the options!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Ok! I went to two jewelers. The first said 8mm and the second actually got out a cz that was 8mm and that was a little small. He said 8.5mm or possibly even 8.75mm, and it needed to be a round stone due to the way the "seating" was in the prongs. But not 9mm. He said a cushion would put too much stress on the prongs. He was worried they would be brittle with the age, etc.

I have to admit I've never even heard of many of the stones mentioned by you all! At the first jeweler there was an antique white gold ring with a checkerboard-looking pink stone. They weren't sure if it was a tourmaline or a topaz, but I liked it!

Some of you mention sparkly or glittery stones - I can't picture that in a colored stone. I guess I think of depth of color. I liked the lt blue Ceylon sapphire because you could see into it. I had a dark blue Kashmir sapphire and didn't Ike it - too dark!

And yes I'd love a colored diamond - but surely that is out of the price range unless it was horribly included - probably a couple thousand MAX, but only on a diamond... If it is a colored stone, maybe under a thousand max.

Thanks again for all the recs! Can't wait to look them all up!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Also wanted to add (in response to a question), that I am super rough on rings, wear them all the time and if it's a keeper it could get some wear and tear. So that may rule out some stones.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be more inclined to recommend sapphires - they come in a variety of colours and they have a very good MOH hardiness factor - 9, or a ruby. Both are right under a diamond at 10.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth, if you don't find what you want - there are colored stone cutters that will cut to your size! :) I got my light blue topaz (that I thought was aqua) recut for $170! It's GORGEOUS! Done by Jerry at Gemart in Palm Springs area. Check out the colored stone thread! There are so many other stones than they sell in regular stores! A light blue topaz will be much stronger and cheaper than an equal sized aqua - aquas aren't everyday stones.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The setting looks like it would date back to maybe 1910-20, I think.

So ... stones popular in the early twentieth century ... hm.

Amethyst, peridot, aquamarine and pearl were all very popular: in their lighter incarnations, they might have been used in a setting like that. Garnet, ruby, sapphire, and turquoise were all very popular too, but they wouldn't have been used in a setting like that: fishtail prong settings were almost exclusively used as illusion settings back in the day. It would, in all likelihood, originally have housed something like a diamond or white zircon.

I think of all of them, since diamond is unavailable and a fakey is off-putting, I'd recommend getting a white zircon custom-cut like an OEC. Historically accurate, and undoubtedly very beautiful! Just be careful with it, as zircon is a softer stone.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a sapphire (natural or lab) would look lovely, as would an OEC cut sim, IMO. I don't see anything wrong with sims and clearly you don't either or you wouldn't be suggesting lab stones! If you wanna keep costs low then those two suggestions would be good :) I love diamonds but an 8.5mm diamond wouldn't come cheap hehe!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
It looks mid-century or maaaybe late 30s to me. If you don't do a sim (which I think is a fine idea), maybe a lemony citrine, an amethyst, or a topaz. Blue topaz is beautiful, but just choose your favorite color stone, or your birthstone, and go with that. Be sure to show us what you come up with!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1338848584|3209204 said:
I'd be more inclined to recommend sapphires - they come in a variety of colours and they have a very good MOH hardiness factor - 9, or a ruby. Both are right under a diamond at 10.

Thanks enerchi! I haven't loved the deep colors of either, but maybe a cornflower blue sapphire....

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
webdiva|1338957252|3210162 said:
lucyruth, if you don't find what you want - there are colored stone cutters that will cut to your size! :) I got my light blue topaz (that I thought was aqua) recut for $170! It's GORGEOUS! Done by Jerry at Gemart in Palm Springs area. Check out the colored stone thread! There are so many other stones than they sell in regular stores! A light blue topaz will be much stronger and cheaper than an equal sized aqua - aquas aren't everyday stones.

Thanks webdiva. I would love a chunky-cut of something. Never had anything cut for me before though! I will look into it...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucyruth|1339125115|3211575 said:
Enerchi|1338848584|3209204 said:

Thanks enerchi! I haven't loved the deep colors of either, but maybe a cornflower blue sapphire....

Or a montana sapphire (sort of a denim tone), or pink, or yellow... they come in a variety of colours, so there should be one out there that may appeal!!

check this out:
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_pink/sapphire_pink_418.jpg
Pink Sapphire Round "Portuguese" Cut
Weight: 2.32 cts
Measurements: 7.8 mm
Clarity: VS-SI1
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 680.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_418
Description: Lavender-pink Ceylon sapphire. Amazing cut, very brilliant with faint inclusions. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

It is quite pretty! and love the cut :))

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1338991559|3210321 said:
The setting looks like it would date back to maybe 1910-20, I think.

So ... stones popular in the early twentieth century ... hm.

Amethyst, peridot, aquamarine and pearl were all very popular: in their lighter incarnations, they might have been used in a setting like that. Garnet, ruby, sapphire, and turquoise were all very popular too, but they wouldn't have been used in a setting like that: fishtail prong settings were almost exclusively used as illusion settings back in the day. It would, in all likelihood, originally have housed something like a diamond or white zircon.

I think of all of them, since diamond is unavailable and a fakey is off-putting, I'd recommend getting a white zircon custom-cut like an OEC. Historically accurate, and undoubtedly very beautiful! Just be careful with it, as zircon is a softer stone.

Circe, this is GREAT information! I think you're exactly right, this would have housed a diamond... but, I have a 1.38ct oec in a square box head, so I am stuck on turning out something that will look a whole lot like something I already have. If I end up selling my big (to me) diamond, perhaps this would take the place...

It sounds like zircon might be too soft... I can learn to be careful though and not wear it at the beach, etc.

I really appreciate the stone rundown! Will file the list for reference later.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Deia|1339007606|3210564 said:
I think a sapphire (natural or lab) would look lovely, as would an OEC cut sim, IMO. I don't see anything wrong with sims and clearly you don't either or you wouldn't be suggesting lab stones! If you wanna keep costs low then those two suggestions would be good :) I love diamonds but an 8.5mm diamond wouldn't come cheap hehe!

When you say sapphire, what color do you mean? I don't have a prob with sims, no, but again, I have a diamond that's an oec. I may end up selling it down the road (fickle like that and a lot in it), and then it might be nice to have the diamond lookalike, whether a white stone of some variety or a *sim*....

But right now if I keep my diamond I think I'd like something that looks different than my diamond... WIll sleep on it! :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would this be too small??
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_white/sapphire_white_112.jpg
Sapphire Round Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.16 cts
Measurements: 6.7 mm
Clarity: VVS
Enhancements: Heat Only
Price: $ 290.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire-white-112
Description: Excellent fire and clarity. Diamond cut adds brilliance and sparkle. Looks like a J-K color diamond!
gives the OEC kind of impression, but not sure if it would fit your setting... price is sure affordable!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
kefira|1339055743|3211030 said:
It looks mid-century or maaaybe late 30s to me. If you don't do a sim (which I think is a fine idea), maybe a lemony citrine, an amethyst, or a topaz. Blue topaz is beautiful, but just choose your favorite color stone, or your birthstone, and go with that. Be sure to show us what you come up with!

Kefira, when you say mid century you mean 1950s, right? Wow, I wasn't thinking it was that "new". I don't know when 10% iridium alloys went out of common use. I guess I was hoping it was earlier.

I have not really ventured into colored stones much, and my fav stone (& birthstone) is diamond... Don't think I like amethyst, but will relook at the citrine (not sure if I know how lemony is different) and topaz (my mom has had a gorgeous topaz of a honey color...

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1339125880|3211585 said:
Would this be too small??
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_white/sapphire_white_112.jpg
Sapphire Round Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.16 cts
Measurements: 6.7 mm
Clarity: VVS
Enhancements: Heat Only
Price: $ 290.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire-white-112
Description: Excellent fire and clarity. Diamond cut adds brilliance and sparkle. Looks like a J-K color diamond!
gives the OEC kind of impression, but not sure if it would fit your setting... price is sure affordable!

Thanks Enerchi! I'm headed to bed but will pull these up on my ipad before going to sleep! Can't wait to see them!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Lucyruth, I was curious, and did a bit of reading over at Lang Antique's wiki. They say that iridium alloys are generally American, and the % mixture depends on the intended use. They also mentioned that it was illegal to make platinum jewelry from 1942 on through WWII (platinum was used in the war effort), and that jewelry making more or less stopped during WWI as well.

The reason I put my guess at mid-century is because I see that style show up again and again for that time period. The earlier time periods are generally "fancier" with milgraine, carved sides, etc. That's just what I have seen in browsing, though, and I have no credentials. :) It's a pretty style though, whenever it's from.

Sorry to chat your ear off about it, I just find it interesting. I forgot you had mentioned that your birthstone is diamond. I think a sapphire of most any color would be absolutely lovely in there, as well. I really like the idea of the white sapphire.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi I liked the white sapphire (was it a sapphire?) but it's too small - the jeweler said 8.5 mm - so I'm going to look from 8 to 9 inches.
The pink stone was too pink, or too glittery, or something. Maybe too contemporary looking! I will cruise that site some more though.

Kefira, I'm kind of nerdy about that kind of thing! I love the 10% iridium alloys, partly because they are antiquey, and I've also heard that the iridium alloys are by far the hardest of the platinum mixtures... Thanks for the info!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

To improve durability, I'd actually suggest seeing if you can get a white sapphire cut like an OEC. More durable (which you mentioned is a concern) and better RI as well, and still budget friendly. Win all around!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
aljdewey|1339160964|3211739 said:

To improve durability, I'd actually suggest seeing if you can get a white sapphire cut like an OEC. More durable (which you mentioned is a concern) and better RI as well, and still budget friendly. Win all around!

Okay, now where do I get such a stone, cut like an oec?
Oh, I'm a Dewey! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results