shape
carat
color
clarity

What To Look For?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

In terms of HCA scores, with colour, clarity, symmetry, and polish, and price being equal - is there really a noticeable difference between stones that score less than 2 on the HCA? For example, if one stone scores 1.7, and the other scores 0.8 - will the naked eye be able to tell the difference? And is the 0.8 stone automatically the better buy, because of its lower score? Or am I completely losing my mind? <<<< strong possibility
2.gif

I am trying to get a feeling for the level of importance I should attach to HCA scores overall, so any input is welcomed.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for responding Garry. My take on what you are saying is that once a stone falls into the excellent category (below 2) it becomes a matter of subjectivity - beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
1.gif

It just becomes more difficult to narrow it all down when the beholder is not able to behold in person.
2.gif
I guess that's why it becomes that much more critical to have trust in your vendor when looking to buy of the 'net.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just one factor I would point out ... the HCA assumes perfect symmetry.

Just because 2 diamonds score under a 2 does not mean they have beautiful precision symmetry. I can point you to many example of diamonds that have low HCA scores or identical HCA scores and in real life one stone will blow away the other due to optical symmetry alone.

Gary ... I just got back from my 2nd Isee2 meeting today and will have the machine in my store this week. I've learned quite a bit more about the device and it's analysis of symmetry within a diamond as well as brilliance and scintillation. After I get it I'll be playing with alot of diamonds we have in house with it and there is some new excellent info this thing gives that is unique to anything I've seen. I think you'll like it.

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One other note ... the HCA will however seperate diamonds that have good overally internal reflectivity. Seperating diamonds with beautiful optical symmetry and intensity of light return MUST be inspected personally and can not be assessed with the HCA.

Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhino's advice is correct - you have selected stones that will be way above average and worth investing more effort into if you are fussy. Chances are you may not be able to see the difference, but if you like the idea of having the very best and piece of mind that comes with it - then go the extra bit and have them both sent to an appraiser maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results