shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for when picking out a Cushion Cut

ellisr21

Rough_Rock
I have decided on the style of ring / stone I would like some help picking the right center stone, color, cut, carat, and clarity for my cushion. I am going to have a replica of the Harry Winston micro Pave cushion ring made. So the stone will have a halo around it. (My future fiancé want a slightly thicker band than the one on the HW ring and a crown that has a lower profile so it’s not so high off of her finger)

I am thinking a center stone between 1.20 -1.40 but would like some more feedback on size since she has long thin fingers she is a size 4 and I don’t want the ring to look like a cocktail ring in size on her little fingers.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Firstly, enjoy the shopping process, its a nice challenge to have. A point on colour.

I wanted to respond because I've just been sitting in the garden in the sun and really enjoying my cushion and especially the colour. Its a K and that's a K EGL report - meaning it is lower than K in all probability if it were to have a GIA report, maybe L or even M. And I absolutely LOVE the body colour on it.

I've had an E and another high colour stone and genuinely I prefer this. However, the cuts are different: the E was an asscher and the other high colour was a princess. I've no doubt its the fact this is an antique cushion, and the resulting facet pattern, that makes the lower colour a real pleasure. Its also a very fiery stone, so what I'm really loving is the constant flashes of colour against a warm background. My recollection of the higher colour stones was a very icy white feel to them. Also, with my skin tone/hair colour, I prefer yellow gold, a cognac leather watch strap and warmer colours generally. I'm not a black clothes and white metal person - although I love that look on others!

So just to say: if your sweetness is into warmer colours, older pieces and if you mean antique cushion when you say cushion, then i'd say consider a lower colour. Look in person and if poss consult her about that, but don't rule it out.

All the very best :wavy:

ed to add - size, I'm 5.25 and the stone is a hair under 1.50 and this is what it looks like... I think that size would be great on a 4 ish finger :love:

on_hand.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results