shape
carat
color
clarity

what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamonewb

Rough_Rock
I read about the 4c''s and thought I understood everything until I came here ;-) Anyway I am starting to understand everything somewhat but I wanted everyone to help me get a idea of what I can get for my price range.

I am currently saving now for the e-ring. My budget is set to $4500 for the ring with diamond. I really want to get 1 carat out of this. Now with that said, will I be able to get something nice for that price range? The lady wants either a round or princess cut.

I did some browsing at bluenile.com and found a few diamonds but I really hate that I cannot see the diamonds. My big concern is color and clarity. Will SI2 or SI1 be ok? I was thinking of going with a I color or better...is this fine?

What I really would like is something to point me to a diamond in my range thats good or give me a idea of what to expect?

And one last thing. If I got a .99 carat diamond would I save a ton of money or is the difference in price between a 1 and .99 carat not a big difference.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take a look at www.whiteflash.com and www.goodoldgold.com SI1's and SI2's are fine as long as they are eye clean. Both of these vendors will tell you if they are. Finding .99 stones are a bit tough but are a great value. You can also pricescope you diamond at the top of the page, fyi. HTH and good luck!!!

Welcome to PS!!!!
35.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you go for a pear. marquise, or an oval you will get a spready bigger looking diamond. pears are sorta out of style at the moment so they are a little cheaper.

of course, I'm biased
3.gif

never mind, she wants a princess or a round, sorry i ahve been sewing black on black all day. "cain't see".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamonewb

Rough_Rock
I didn''t mention it, but she also likes marquise...I thought the marquise were more expensive, so thats why I neglected to mention them.

Is J color ok? I am color blind so I am terrible at these things. And I refuse to have a salesmen at a local shop help me decide that or not (every place here in dallas I have gone to seem to be car salesmen).

I am willing to go to a J, I just need to make sure it will be fine. From what I am reading here, cut is the most important. So would a J Ideal cut be better then a I very good cut?

BTW thanks for helping me out. I plan to buy in a few months, right now I am just trying to see what I can get. I may even be able to go to $5000 or more in the future, but right now my goal is under 5k

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most here will go to I color, and some love their J''s. You almost have to see some to know if the slight tint bothers you. If you can up the budget and go for the I SI1, I think you''d be safer. However, there are girls on here who have very beautiful J color diamonds. And yes, I''d rather have a J hearts and arrows ideal cut stone than an I color stone with a lesser cut. Remeber, too, that prices do go up over time, so save that money up as soon as you can!
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope.

Possible this will do it.

I got a .9

Shop locally to see what size & color makes sense to you. Buying on the web can help with quality & savings. See below my signature for other suggestions.

Regards,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 8:19:39 PM
Author:diamonewb
I read about the 4c''s and thought I understood everything until I came here ;-) Anyway I am starting to understand everything somewhat but I wanted everyone to help me get a idea of what I can get for my price range.

I am currently saving now for the e-ring. My budget is set to $4500 for the ring with diamond. I really want to get 1 carat out of this. Now with that said, will I be able to get something nice for that price range? The lady wants either a round or princess cut.

I did some browsing at bluenile.com and found a few diamonds but I really hate that I cannot see the diamonds. My big concern is color and clarity. Will SI2 or SI1 be ok? I was thinking of going with a I color or better...is this fine?

What I really would like is something to point me to a diamond in my range thats good or give me a idea of what to expect?

And one last thing. If I got a .99 carat diamond would I save a ton of money or is the difference in price between a 1 and .99 carat not a big difference.

I wouldn''t hold out for a .99, cutters where possible are going to try to hit the full carat, for this reason just below the carat mark are scarce.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
marquise are also out of style, therefore inexpensive. i would shoot for a 1 carat marquise and i would try to buy "used" first, than put in a fresh setting. people are getting RID of marquises. 1 carat marquises and pears are going for 2-3k.

diamonewb

Rough_Rock
Hrmm never thought much into buying used. Are there any guides out there on buying used? f not, any suggestions?

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If you''re going to buy second hand I think a great resource is craigslist.org for local listings. This way you can see the diamond in person and exchange cash on spot, rather then take a chance like with ebay, etc. and rely on photos. You may even convince them to get it appraised with your appraiser of choice before completing the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results