shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nu

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!
My ring is finally done but unfortunately my camera can't take macro pictures and all of them just come out blurry.
I am very happy with the quality of work and everything turned out just how we dicussed it.
There is however one minor detail that still bothers me. The stone is set low but I think it is just too low for my preference.
Here is a picture of someone's ring that looks just exactly like mine. Do you see how in that picture the culet is just above the lower donut? In my ring the culet is hidden behind that donut and therefore four prongs that hold the ring turned out a little shorter. When I look at the ring from a side it looks as if someone squashed it from above.
Should I just leave it set low or ask him to set it a little higher?

333.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s all about personal preference and if you feel the stone should sit higher, then ask Leon to do it! It is so important that you be 100% happy with the result. Of course we wish we could see photos.........

nu

Rough_Rock
I wish I could post pictures but they all came out blurry
7.gif

nu

Rough_Rock
ok, I figured out a way to post pictures. Will upload them in about 2 hours.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good because I really want to see it Nu. I can''t tell you anything unless I see a pic.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe wait a few weeks to see if you can get use to the setting, BUT, if you don't end up feeling any better about the setting, then ask Leon to change it to suite your preference. You're going to have this ring for a long time, so the design should be EXACTLY what you want.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too can''t wait for pics. you have to be 100% happy and if it bothers you ask him to change it.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Waiting for the pics, but basically, if this is going to bother you, then you need to get it fixed IMHO.

nu

Rough_Rock
Here it is...

bsp.jpg

nu

Rough_Rock
one more

spb.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi nu,

Well, I think it''s totally a matter of personal preference. there are many people who would LOVE a low setting like yours. I personally would like my stone to sit up a bit higher, like the first pic you posted. If it really bother''s you and you don''t LOVE it in every way, I would definitely take it back to Leon and have up raise it up a bit. Keep us posted..

nu

Rough_Rock
and another one

knu.jpg

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s all personal preference and you have to be happy with your ring! Don''t let something like this drive you crazy. I''m sure the jewler will completely understand!

btw: you''re ring is beautiful!

nu

Rough_Rock
I am not sure how he is going to fix it. Does he have to change the size of upper donut?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you show him the pic like you posted and said, make me one like this? if so. he should fix it no matter what he has to do in order to make it right.

nu

Rough_Rock
He suggested to wear a ring and see if I get used to it. If not he will fix it.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is lovely! I may be in the minority, I love lower sitting settings and think yours is perfect. You, of course, need to be thrilled with it. Give it a week, see how it feels, look at it if many different types of lighting and see what you think. Try to be aware of any situations where you might find a higher setting to be a problem. and if after all that it needs to go back to Leon at least you''ll know you gave it a chance!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2005 6:39:56 PM
Author: nu
He suggested to wear a ring and see if I get used to it. If not he will fix it.

Well, that''s good news. I agree with ff, maybe try it for a week or at least a few days and then decide what you want to do. are you going to wear a wedding band with it?

nu

Rough_Rock
Yes, I am going to wear a wedding band with it and this is another problem since it sits so low
7.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nu
the advantage of a lower setting is that your ring don''t get caught up on your dress,hair,etc,as easy but like you, i do prefer to see the culet.

nu

Rough_Rock
DF,
I love low setting rings but I guess I should have discussed the height of the prongs when I initially spoke about the design. I did not expect it to be this low. It seems to be like a minor thing, may be just 0.5mm up but I think it would look different.
I still have not used to the ring. I love it fom above though.

Do you guys thing that low settings make a stone look smaller?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it looks awesome, actually i like it better than the first picture you posted.

but obviously it''s a preference. if you aren''t happy, have it fixed. end of story!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it as is... but what I like matters zillions of times less than what you like !
11.gif

Have you tried wedding bands next to it ? How does it work ?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the way your ring is done -- way classier and better quality make, IMO.
No, I don''t think the lower settings make the stone look smaller.
I think that it is so much better quality of a setting than the one you are comparing it to.
I think that the low profile will keep it from spinning like higher set stones do.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
first I love low setting like your''s
30.gif
30.gif

my ex e-ring was very low and bottom of diamond was touching on my finger
so I had to change the setting and I cound''t wear wedding band with diamond
because hitting eachother all the time. so I guess there is no problem as long as the bottom of diamnd is not touching
on your finger

personal I still love the ex setting.
maybe I will change to more lower like ex setting someday.

flower

nu

Rough_Rock
Thank you for nice comments.
I agree that higher settings make the ring spin. By no means I want a super high setting. That ring in first picture that I posted has the optimum height. At leats when I tried it on in a store I loved both views from above and from a side. I can't really take a picture of my ring on my hand because I am using the 10x magnification loop and taking picture of a whole hand is not possible. The only word that I can think of when I look at it from a side is as if it is squashed from above. I want it just a bit higher so that culet is just above the lower donut but he would have to make a new setting because it is impossible to fix this one.

Had to come back to add. The picture looks very proportional since you see only the head of the ring. If I could post a picture of a whole ring I think it would be more noticable to see what I mean. from a side it looks like the head is just too small.

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nu!

First, I love your ring from above. Absolutely gorgeous
36.gif
36.gif

I think I have to agree with you though that it would look more proportional and perhaps a bit more graceful and flowing if it were set a tad higher. Just my opinion... but, of course, what''s most important is what YOU think. It obviously seems to be bothering you quite a bit, and if you are anything like me, you won''t be able to let it go....

It''s good to hear that he is willing to redo the setting. Do whatever it takes for you to be completely satisfied with it. After all, its going to be on your finger for quite a while - at least until the next upgrade!!
11.gif

nu

Rough_Rock
Oh Peachy thank you very much!
Gracefull is the word I was looking for. I am so picky for small details plus I have to like it from the beginnig. If I don''t like something there is no way I can get used to it. Especially if we are talking about ering
28.gif

Please don''t mention the word upgrade yet. I think all this time while setting was being made I am soooo ready for upgrade
11.gif

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 7:38:56 PM
Author: nu
Oh Peachy thank you very much!
Gracefull is the word I was looking for. I am so picky for small details plus I have to like it from the beginnig. If I don''t like something there is no way I can get used to it. Especially if we are talking about ering
28.gif

Please don''t mention the word upgrade yet. I think all this time while setting was being made I am soooo ready for upgrade
11.gif
Then I believe you have your answer. Get it redone... Can''t wait to see it!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I like the first picture of the slightly higher setting better. The lower one looks squashed down & you don''t see the lovely diamon shape from the side, it looks bulkier & not as feminine. I would reset it to the taller one. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results