shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with this opal?

I love Daisys and Diamonds idea! I'm a ring girl, so that's what I always suggest. But if you're worried about damage, then a brooch or pendant would be lovely. Congrats and enjoy!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pendant? It seems to like movement. That said, I'm not sure what kind of mounting would let you see the front 270 degrees! It almost has an Easter-egg vibe.

OTOH, if it's a brooch, you could always dip-and-pivot a lot while you are making small-talk at cocktail parties.

I love the almost-Harlequin-sized (?) and unexpectedly uniform polygonal flashes.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Pendant? It seems to like movement. That said, I'm not sure what kind of mounting would let you see the front 270 degrees! It almost has an Easter-egg vibe.

OTOH, if it's a brooch, you could always dip-and-pivot a lot while you are making small-talk at cocktail parties.

I love the almost-Harlequin-sized (?) and unexpectedly uniform polygonal flashes.

I'm leaning more towards pendant. I love the idea of a brooch with a Victorian vibe, but I probably wouldn't wear it often. As for the opal, I don't know if it's considered a good one or not, but I liked the reds, pinks and golds in the flashes. And it looks pretty bright in the video. Either way, I only paid $130 USD for it. I don't think I got hurt any.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda like this idea. And it wouldn't have occurred to me. Thank you! ❤️

i know in everyday life brooches arnt really a thing like in Grandma's day but i love them
many years ago when i transitted through Sydney on the way home i brought my high school aged sister a koala pin that had an opal for the tummy - not the greatest opal but fun all the same
she wore it on her winter coat for years and years
it was the first thing i thought of when i saw your opal

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thinking about @LilAlex 's idea
what about an enhancer pendant with a brooch pin on the back ?
i plan to do this with an unmounted cameo i brought last year
then it would be ultra versatile and could be worn several ways
the brooch for special occassions of course

KLC

Shiny_Rock
thinking about @LilAlex 's idea
what about an enhancer pendant with a brooch pin on the back ?
i plan to do this with an unmounted cameo i brought last year
then it would be ultra versatile and could be worn several ways
the brooch for special occassions of course

I have been looking at some like you suggested. I like this idea too.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this untreated dark base welo opal because I was mesmerized by the color. But I don't know how to set it. It's perfect ring size, but opals are soft. How would you set it?

I'd say you got a good deal. Put it in a ring so you can admire it yourself. Just stick to the rules of taking care of a Welo Opal and it will last a life time.

I have a nice dark crystal one in a ring for myself. 5 years and looks like the day it was set. :)

• Love
Reactions: KLC

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I'd say you got a good deal. Put it in a ring so you can admire it yourself. Just stick to the rules of taking care of a Welo Opal and it will last a life time.

I have a nice dark crystal one in a ring for myself. 5 years and looks like the day it was set. :)

Thank you! I was sure it was worth more than I paid, but it's nice to confirm that.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I have an update. The seller started acting weird. I had paid the $40 for the fastest shipping method and then the seller emailed wanting another $30 for shipping or they would downgrade it to snail mail. I told them to downgrade it. Several days passed and they emailed me again saying they couldn't ship it until the end of the month because of a holiday. So I told them to keep the dang opal and refund my money.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s weird.
Bummed for you.
Equally bummed we can’t read your opinion on it and see your pictures of it.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is frustrating (happened many times to me) but Muslims shut down everything for holidays and they can last a month. I'm sure this vendor was referring too, Eid ul fitar, though this does not last all month only a few days the families often taken extended trips together.

A different culture.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh!
With that holiday being pointed out, I’d be a bit bummed
But more understanding to be patient.

I have an update. The seller started acting weird. I had paid the $40 for the fastest shipping method and then the seller emailed wanting another $30 for shipping or they would downgrade it to snail mail. I told them to downgrade it. Several days passed and they emailed me again saying they couldn't ship it until the end of the month because of a holiday. So I told them to keep the dang opal and refund my money.

Can't say I blame you! You'll find something you love even more without the hassle. Good luck in your hunt!!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I know this is frustrating (happened many times to me) but Muslims shut down everything for holidays and they can last a month. I'm sure this vendor was referring too, Eid ul fitar, though this does not last all month only a few days the families often taken extended trips together.

A different culture.

I didn't know that. They've already canceled the order though.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't know that. They've already canceled the order though.

They should’ve told you. Can't know if they don't tell you.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results