shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with this antique ring?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I love the shape. I don’t think it works as a semi mount bc it is too flat and the depth of any stone besides a flat one—which I am open to, if you all have ideas—would be too deep.
What even are those bars? Prongs?
Should I shave off the prongs and make it a pendant?
The diamonds are old mine or rose cuts.
IMG_1022.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 10

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it would be a beautiful pendant! If you did want to "fill it in" though, could you have a piece of onyx or mother of pearl cut to fit the space? I think that would be beautiful too!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow what a beautiful setting:kiss2:
so much potential

i cant wait to see what you do with it
:appl::appl::appl:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An insert of something oval or pear shape in a bezel might go in there, attached to those prong things? Cabochon in a bezel, perhaps?

Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a pearl halo ring with an airline and those little spike things.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think the prongs made an “air gap” for a centre bezel set gemstone or pearl. Some of the prongs are missing, no doubt when the centre was removed. Very beautiful. I think it would make a fabulous pendant.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
That design is called an Ojo de Buey, or eye of the ox, and is seen as a window frame all over Mexico. I am coincidentally having David Klass make a pendant for me in that design, but don’t have the cads yet. IMG_2533.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! I'd love it as a bracelet with a rose or yellow gold rolo style chain.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
So I love the shape. I don’t think it works as a semi mount bc it is too flat and the depth of any stone besides a flat one—which I am open to, if you all have ideas—would be too deep.
What even are those bars? Prongs?
Should I shave off the prongs and make it a pendant?
The diamonds are old mine or rose cuts.
IMG_1022.jpeg

OOOH, I love a design challenge and adore the shape. Do you think the metal “prongs” maybe were filigree holding another bezel with a stone?

IMG_2244.jpeg

I would try to work with the prongs to create a frame around a rosecut stone with a fine milgrained bezel. My avatar photo is a giveaway that I love rosecuts and milgrained bezels.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You could put a flat bottomed rose cut diamond or stone in there? :)

I second! Double Dutch rose cut, to be precise!
Any cabbed stone would be amazing in this mount. Perfect backdrop. It works as ring or pendant. It is just a question of what would get more wear from you. What stone do you covet but do not have yet? Here is the place.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ty all!!! Gosh. These idea all sounds sooo enticing, but also, costly! Lol.
My favorite idea is custom cutting a flat stone so that it could sit flush—kind of like VC&A Alhambra style! But I am sure that the cost to customize it would cost prohibitive. Sigh. I should have mentioned that I was on a budget.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is that a Skittle or a green M&M? Just keep it cool and dry. :cool2:

Great idea -- I love the "high/low" vibe and I love malachite!

Lol. DH is not a fan but I have zero delayed gratification will power. I don’t think this is a forever stone. Now that I know what size and type of stone it takes, it will be fun to shop for a different one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results