shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my little .22?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calling all creative minds! I need your help with a reset!

I have a 0.22 ct F SI2 RB from a previous engagement that ended before marriage. The ex refuses to take the ring back (it''s been several years), so I have a lovely little round diamond sitting in a setting that is nice but very much not "me". (see picture from James Allen below)

I''ve tried to sell the ring on eBay and Craigslist to no avail, and jewelers will offer very little for a stone this small.

What would you do with this RB if it belonged to you? I don''t really have a budget; I''m willing to spend a good amount to put this baby to practical use! Studs? Halo RHR? Purchase 15 more .22 RBs for an eternity band? (I WISH! Okay--so THAT would be out of my budget. But now that I think of it . . .)

The most creative idea wins the discarded yellow gold setting!
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
D''OH! Here''s the picture:

RBTension.jpg

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I would put it into a halo pendent.....
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d put it in a bezel setting myself for a necklace

And that sure is an interesting setting!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, this is a challenge!!!
36.gif

Would help if we knew your style and tastes.

But here goes, Im thinking definately rhr. A few options come to mind. One is to copy the Tiffany`s one that is a band with a tiny diamond sitting in it. Very plain and cute. Another option is to have the diamond set between two fine bands. Hard to explain, but the bands join at the back, and from the front it looks like a split band (sort of like an eye). Lastly, for a very blingy look....I would consider a pave band with the 22 set right in the middle. I have seen this effect irl and the pave just pops with the larger diamond in there!!!!!
31.gif

Edited to add, just saw the picture!!! I would definately consider wearing it as is or getting it all rhodeum plated. The setting looks great for a rhr...very quirky and modern.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''m so glad you posted about this! i''ve been thinking what to do with my sweet sixteen diamond which is about the same size. i am thinking RhR has well, but i''m open to ideas too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bezel set pendant is quite lovely.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
baby bezel studs if you can afford it''s other half! They would look pretty large with the bezel and would make nice size earrings.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas, ladies! As for my taste, well, I just know that I DO NOT like the setting as it is. My ering is a cushion set on a platinum shared prong band with 4 pointers, so I definitely love blingy pieces, and I wear my Tiffany bean silver necklace and earrings everyday. I don't know what kind of style that is, but I tend to keep things understated with one or two knockout accessories. (Example: Most of my clothes are from White House Black Market, so they're all pretty streamlined color and material-wise, but I'll throw in a pair of red heels, or a green satin scarf--not too much, but elegant with a dash of spice. Agh--I don't know what my style is, okay? :) )

I love the Tiffany bezel-set ring, and bezel set studs sounds great. So does the pendant. Ahhh! Too many choices. I will say that I'm more likely to wear a new ring or earrings than a necklace.

Can I turn this baby into a halo ring? It's too small for that, isn't it? Anyone have pictures of a small diamond with a halo? (I'm sure some of you remember my long search for the perfect ering, which started with a halo ring and ended with something very different, but perfect for me!)

What do you guys think about finding a mate for this guy, getting martini prong studs, and then I'd have the option of getting those gorgeous little micropave jackets in the future? Is this diamond too small for a stud jacket?

ETA: Oooh! I missed the DBTY link--that's gorgeous, too! And the same exact size! Too many options! Cannot-make-decision!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 11:27:27 PM
Author: grapegravity
I would put it into a halo pendent.....
1.gif

This would be my vote too!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for earrings. There would be no real "sentimental issues" attached to a pair of earrings made from a former e-ring IMO. My daughter has the same dilemma, but has no budget right now.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the bezel pendant look. Btw. if you repurchased a similar stone how much would that cost vs. what the jewelers were offering you? I''m curious because my father has his fiancee''s first engagement ring to sell (he''s already bought her a much nicer ring) and we have no idea what to do with it. I might suggest a bezel set pendant too.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...how about making it into a three stone ring? You could put the diamond in the center, and your birthstone on one side, DH''s on the other...symbolism behind it being that the broken engagement brought you and DH together. Practical? Probably not, but oh so creative, lol!

I would go for a bezeled pendant.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the idea of a 5 stone ring with the same size stones.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I might change my mind if I saw pictures, but IMHO .22 is too small for a halo. I''m afraid it would end up looking like a cluster. I think halos look better with larger centers so there is more difference in size.

I would use a simple Tiffany-style bezel in white gold or platinum (whether in a ring, pendant or earrings). It is such a clean, classic look that is great for everyday wear.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
BTW, I think your current setting is funky and fun. I would pop an inexpensive pink or green tourmaline in there to wear as a fun RHR on occasion.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I like the 3stone ring idea....or do a 3 stone pendant, like the past/present/future, might be something a little different.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
If you like halos, you can do it w/ the white diamond center and colored stones in the halo. You could choose your favorite color: emeralsds, sapphires, champagne or chocolate diamonds, peridot (like the photo, but opposite), tourmaline, etc. THis link has a leen mege woth emerlads. You can use choose your favorte metal:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=97

colored senter.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think that .22 is too small to do a halo. I agree with the person who said it would look more like a cluster.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting problem. I have a similar situation with my original e-ring. The diamond is 0.21 ct and was an A+ when we bought it back in 1975. Being college students, we of course thought A+ was as good as it got. Later I found out there were AA+, AAA++, etc. Anyhow, the ring is too small to wear, and resizing would ruin the design.

I always figured it wasn''t worth enough to reset into something. Getting it appraised to buy more like it seems a bit silly as well. I think I would rather buy a nicer (i.e., bigger!) stone if I decide on a bezel set pendant.

I''ll be interested in what you decide to do, Haven. I haven''t come up with a good idea for mine yet....

eac

Shiny_Rock
I'd do something completely different than what everyone else is recommending. I'd use it in a pendant or necklace - but as an accent stone to a second, larger, unusual gemstone. The possibilities are endless, and the result would be a dramatic, "special occasion" piece with some real bling!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results