shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with inherited rings?

lewistk

Rough_Rock
good morning,

i was hoping to get some suggestions here, i have inherited 3 attractive heirloom rings from the 1920's-40's. one i am having resized so that i can wear it. the other two will not fit over my giant fingers (omaword could people really have been that petite back then?) and i was advised against trying to resize the rings, that they wouldn't survive it because of how much they would have to expand.

one has small rubiesand diamonds and the other small sapphires and diamonds. he also discouraged having them reset into new bands although he said they are beautiful antiques. is this an expensive thing to try? i hate not being able to wear them at all. do ya'll have any suggestions for me?

he also said that rings back then were not made for everyday use; people wore them for special occasion only. is this true?

thanks for any input!

katherine

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, Katherine, and welcome! It sounds like your jeweler is spot-on, unfortunately - I'm assuming these are eternity bands? The value does tend to be in the workmanship at this point, and they're very hard to resize by more than half a size, tops.

As for how to appreciate them ... I collect eternities myself, and can't wear them all together. I'm actually planning to put together a charm bracelet or necklace at some point. Would that be a thing that could work for you? If you post some pictures and maybe a little more information (what size are the rings vs. what size are your fingers, what are they made of, etc.) I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. Cheers!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Are you wanting to keep them? Sell them? (If so, have you spoken with an appraisor?) Re-use the stones?

Posting some clear, focused, close-up pictures might be helpful otherwise it's kind hard to have any sort of opinion other than if a jeweler has looked in person and says you can't resize, don't try. Try to take photos in natural, bright diffused light and don't use a flash...perhaps a window on the north side of a house.

lewistk

Rough_Rock
hey, thanks so much for the advice! i looked up eternity rings and these are not the same. they are in a setting; the rubies are little pointy cuts set together in a rectangle with little diamonds surrounding them and etchings on the band which surrounds it all. the sapphires are interspersed with little diamonds in a rectangle checkerboard setting, again with etchings on the band.

they are very attractive, i am in the process of moving house and unfortunately my cameras are packed away. i have an just a simple mobile phone.

i suppose i could just hang onto them and if i end up with children they could wear them for special occasions...

lewistk

Rough_Rock
yes, thank you i won't be trying to resize them as they are fives and my main digits start at size 7 and go up. i am going to keep them as they are from my husbands' family. i would like to try and get them set the same way in a new band. i don't know a thing about jewellery and i suppose this would be more cost prohibitive than buying new?

the jeweller is going to resize the one i like the best for my ring finger but is it true i won't be able to wear it every day?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way you could post some pictures? There are some brilliant and creative posters here who I'm sure would have some ideas for you if they could see them. Me, on the other hand, I just want to take a peep at what sound to be lovely rings :praise:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Without pics, it sounds like all the gems are on top, and then the shank is solid metal with etchings? Would you consider have a new shank put on with a laser welder? There is a jewelry store near me in VA, and they have a laser welder and are capable are doing some amazing things with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results