shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with chipped diamond?

gburg

Rough_Rock
I was searching for some diamond studs for my girls birthday. However, I came across a matching set of earrings and a pendant that match her engagement ring - all from the 1920's era.

The seller told me about the chip on the .50ct pendant before I got it. It's hard to see under the 10x, its on the crosses a bezel and a star facet. It looks like a splinter, its not a clean chip. The pendant is two-tone and the diamond is fairly protected.

I was planning on having the white gold around the diamond rhodium plated on Tuesday. Should I see about having the diamond polished or repaired? or should I just have them drop the mounting down a bit so the diamond is even more protected?

photo-2.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Repairs can make economic sense on larger diamonds.

I think in this case I'd consult an expert as to whether the polishing/repair makes sense, mechanically, aesthetically and financially.
Consider the cost for the consultation, removing the stone, polishing, resetting may be substantial compared the the overall value of the set.

I'd only consider this if I really liked the set and it was not to costly
One possibility is to just buy it as is and enjoy it if the price is right, unless you'd feel giving a gift with known damage is not acceptable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results