shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with 3 ct "teddy bear" novelty diamond?

jnl123

Rough_Rock
Here's another oddity I've inherited. It's a 3 ct "teddy bear" diamond chip. What can or should be done with something like this? What do people do with "novelty" shaped diamonds? DSCN1920.JPG Any advice?

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would show it to a good diamond cutter and ask what it could yield. Is it just rough?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cute! What would I do? I think I would have it set as a pendant and wear it on a silk rope chain.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd see if it could be cut into normal diamond shapes, too!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I laughed! It's adorable. I agree with sending it to a cutter but I also like the idea of a pendant, as is.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It kinda looks like quartz to me though...

jnl123

Rough_Rock
Definitely diamond. Just weirdly shaped. I think if it was recut as a standard shape I would probably end up with 2 trillions.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a mineral specimen in need of cleaning ...

See - WWW

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see a mineral specimen in need of cleaning ...

See - WWW
lol
it is cute and cute sells but to be honest I have zero idea of how to set a price on it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero idea of how to set a price on it.

You & I both.

This other market of gem minersls is just another door to knock at for quotes ...

jnl123

Rough_Rock
Is there even a market for something like this? I figured my grandfather was a bored diamond cutter in his youth and just decided to be a little creative.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it. If I didn't have aspirations to own a horse head diamond one day, I'd be all over the teddy bear!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it's rough.
Would there be any difficulties getting it cut if you have no certification relating to the Kimberley process?

I recall a thread on here previously that I think @Wink commented on, about how if you walk into a jewellers or diamond seller's shop with a lump of rough and no way to prove how you got it, you'd basically have no chance of getting it cut because no-one in the chain would want to take the risk of getting done for dealing in potential Blood Diamonds.

jnl123

Rough_Rock
I never thought about that. I can prove provenance and I know what mine it came from if that made any difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results