shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do, what to do?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, guys, I''ve run into a bit of an obstacle with my upgrade. No problem with the diamond, but a bit of a problem with my wedding set. For a variety of reasons, I am forced to replace my engagement ring mounting. For those of you not familiar with it, it''s one of the signed pieces eternity band mounts. What I''ve decided to do is set my new diamond in the simplest platinum solitaire mounting from Stuller and wear it with my SP shared prong eternity band. Unfortunately, the rings probably won''t sit flush, but it''s a temporary solution until I find a permanent home for my new diamond. I hope it looks okay. It should be done by tomorrow. I''m actually quite sick about all this. Anyway, here''s my question: what do I do with my credit (about $1600) from Signed Pieces? I was thinking I could get a matching eternity band to stack on top of my wedding ring or wear my soliatire on one hand and the 2 eternity bands on the other. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! I just hope this all turns out okay.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok you can''t post and tell us ''for a variety of reasons'' and give us bare bones and not even tell us why you have to replace the e-ring setting and that you have a credit. That doesn''t fly here girl, you know we are nosy. What is going on!?!?!? Why do you have to get a new mounting, can''t you just get a new one from SP?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, I've been dying to see pics of your upgrade! I'm curious on the details tho why they are not able to put it into the ring you have? I'd be sick.
8.gif
Your set is gorgeous, an inspiration for me.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Ok, ok, here''s the situation (the reason I''m hesitant to post is that I don''t want to unfairly malign anyone''s product, but I trust you guys will understand what I''m saying here). Here''s the situation: I''ve had some ongoing problems with my wedding set -- the rings never sit flush (my fault, though, for not exchanging the head to begin with), the girdles of the diamonds rub against one another which has resulted in a few small nicks in the mellee just in the 2 months I''ve been wearing them together (I was told that wouldn''t happen), and I''ve had 4 or 5 loose stones (I think a result of the diamonds rubbing against each other and the fact that they are shared prong). That is the only reason I had the rings soldered together (hated that!!!!!! would rather lose diamonds than wear rings soldered!) -- to protect the diamonds from each other. Anyway, my current plan was to have a new head installed so that the bands would sit flush. Yeah, everything was going as planned until my jeweler went to set the stone. He actually refused to do the job because the moutning was so insecure. What happened was that so much metal was taken out when they notched the prongs in order to make the rings sit flush that the prongs were rendered weak and unsafe. So, after giving it much thought and stressing out like a psycho I decided that this wedding set just isn''t working out for me. Yes, it''s beautiful, but it doesn''t fulfill my "requirements" for a functional wedding set. I want a set that sits flush, and I want a set that is sturdy and doesn''t require constant maintenance and vigilance. I''ve been nothing but anxious about my rings ever since I got married and started wearing them together. And I don''t think that is just me being paranoid. So...here we are. SP very graciously allowed me to return the mounting for credit. Is this the right decision? I don''t know. All I know is that I want to be able to wear my diamond for a little while before making any decisions. I actually thought of putting it in a solitaire even before this happened because I do like the look of a large diamond on a thin band next to an eternity ring. I feel like you can see the diamond better on a plain band because the smaller diamonds don''t distract from the center stone. What do you guys think????

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you are making a good decision based on how you wear your rings and how you know you live. For you to wear your current set as an actual set, you will have to learn new ways around your ringsand use your hand very differently, OR not wear it which really shouldn''t be an option.

Personally, I think going with a plain solaire, and not having it soldered, is probably far more practical. You can slip it off to protect it, you can wear it with a plain band and the diamond band or wear it on the right hand and two bands on the left.

It sucks that it took this to make that change but at least SP is being insanely cool about this and realizing that your set doesn''t match your lifestyle.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
first off, i'm so sorry about the eternity band problem. those of us with the shared prong bands all know or at least have heard of possible damage. When I had WF make my band I told them i was planning on having the matching e-ring but even then they can't guarentee the diamonds won't eat each other, that's just the nature of the style, unless you go mara's 4 prong route. anyway, I think the idea of doing a plain band next to the eternity would be gorgeous and it's just classic and I LOVE the stuller heads. I'm sorry for all the trouble but it's really great customer service from Signed Pieces to offer you a refund.

oh yeah, I would get a second eternity band to wear on the other side or as a RHR. it would give you lots of options.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your support. This wasn''t an easy decision to make since I really do love the look of my set, but I''m just tired of all the problems. I appreciate SP letting me exchange my mounting for another piece of merchandise. I just don''t know what to get...a matching eternity band or something totally different??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I am very interested to hear this because I personally wondered about those shared prong matching flush sets that we see sometimes. My ring design has more metal because each diamond sits in 4 prongs but they can rub against each other with no problems because each diamond is protected rather than being exposed. Have you thought about doing a custom set with SP (and returning both e-ring and w-ring) and starting from scratch to create something that fulfills your desires? Or what about something like Kayla''s Ritani set?

I think you are doing the right thing. It would drive me nuts to worry about my rings like that...I didn''t even realize when I had my rings made how they are (primarily to sit flush and protect the stones from FALLING OUT...) that the setting would protect the stones from each other as well.

I personally love the look of a solitaire on a thin band with an eternity ring next to it, so I think wearing the set that way for a while is a fabulous idea. You never know, you may love it. Or you may decide to something else, maybe custom with SP or add another eternity ring to the other side of the solitaire etc. You''ve got options!! And I think it''s great that SP backed their product like that too.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Mara--you''re lucky that your rings are so durable and safe in all ways. The shared prong is a pretty look, but not very durable at all -- especially not when 2 rings are being worn together. Most of the SP sets have the prongs notched so that the rings will sit flush. According to my jeweler, though, this is not very safe, particularly with a larger stone. He said he could very easily bend one of the prongs back with his finger. That''s not good! So, we''ll see how I like the solitaire look tomorrow (assuming nothing else goes wrong!). Oy...what an ordeal.

So is the consensus to get a matching eternity band??

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Aw, Demelza, I''m sorry that you are going through this. I think that getting another eternity ring is a great idea, though. A simple solitaire with an eternity ring on either side will be gorgeous!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Patty!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I hope Mrs Salvo doesn't mind me posting a pic of her beautiful set. I was just looking in the SMTR thread about solitaires with eternity bands. How do so many of you get the rings to sit flush?? It seems like most of the sets on that thread fit right up against one another. What's the secret?

newsetwf1005-135.jpg

ETA: If my rings could look as good as Mrs S', I would be a happy camper!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I designed my engagement ring, a stuller heavy platinum comfort fit wedding band with a stuller solstice 6 prong peg head set into it, specifically so I would be sure ANY band would sit next to it without a single problem. And it sits PERFECTLY there. I still freak outwhen the underside rubs against the underside of my eternity in the palm. But Im a whackjob and I actually think that will crack my stones.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
D: I think u should be comfortable with your rings as you will be wearing them on a daily basis and you wouldn''t want to freak out that u mite bang them against something, or have the diamond fall out, break, etc...I do believe that a simple solitaire look with an eternity band is very classy and is timeless(never goes out of style) and would never look ''too much'' or too little either in jeans and flip flops, or an evening dress...i''m sure some of the experts and those with eternity/solitaire sets can chime in on how to have them sit flush...?

as for the extra credit, how about some nice studs or a pendent? (or something yummy like Mara''s toe rings
31.gif
)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Ame -- thanks for the info on your ring. Yours was one that I noticed sat flush and wondered, how did she do that? Now I know. I''ll see what I think of the stuller ring tomorrow (maybe it will miraculously fit flush
1.gif
) and take it from there.

Msb -- I''m still trying to figure out what to get with my "extra credit" (I like that). I wonder what SP would say if I told them I wanted diamond toe rings just like Mara! Actually I think she may have contacted them about making a pair for her, so they would probably just think it was some new trend
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha they did quote me on the toe rings!!

Can''t wait to see the new pictures of your set...do you get the set ring tomorrow?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Yup...assuming all goes well (and I''m trying not to get my hopes too high), I should have pictures for you tomorrow evening!!!

What did SP say when you said you wanted toe rings?

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
last summer when toe rings became popular in my area i found a site that has some very nice ones. i see they are offering 18k eternity toe rings very similar to those mara had made. i think toe rings are really cute but i have not found them as comfortable as i would have liked and i did loose a very nice plain 14k one. i am interested in knowing if others have had similiar experiences. thanks! oh, the site is footcandy.com. i don''t have anything to do with this site. i bought the four i have in a local b&m. banjo

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
D- I am a huge fan of non flush non matchy sets. I just love the way that looks. Mr. Salvo's is a perfect example...I'm also a huge fan of the plain ol solitaire with the diamond band. I think that is so elegant and well, cool. LOL

If the stone is set low, changes are it won't be flush. You have a better chance of it looking flush if you chose a higher setting I would think!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 10:30:13 PM
Author: Demelza
I hope Mrs Salvo doesn't mind me posting a pic of her beautiful set. I was just looking in the SMTR thread about solitaires with eternity bands. How do so many of you get the rings to sit flush?? It seems like most of the sets on that thread fit right up against one another. What's the secret?

newsetwf1005-135.jpg

ETA: If my rings could look as good as Mrs S', I would be a happy camper!!!

hehe, of course I don't mind
31.gif
3.gif
2.gif
1.gif
Honestly, i had nothing done to the head, it was part of my origninal wedding set where I had a plain plat. band (with a notch) soldered to it. i had them seperated and when i put the solitaire next to my eternity band it fit right underneath, but not perfectly flush but didn't gap enough to notice. i was worried about damage being done to the eternity ring but was learned if there was damage it would be to the prongs on the e-ring. Once you try them on you'll know what i mean. I also think stuller makes different heights so you could get the one that sits a bit higher to ensure they will sit flush. Your set will be stunning and with your new 2+ carat stone
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
i think mara has said it before and i agree, there is something beautiful about the look of the metal/plat. next to the sparkle of the eternity band.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Demzela: I just searched and searched to find a picture of your wedding set and I have to say it is INCREDIBLE! Wow. Ok, but if it isn''t working for you then I can see the need for a change. I personally would wear the eternity band and then use the credit when I decided what I wanted to do with the e-ring (
31.gif
Look at me, I''m pretending it''s my problem. I WISH!). Since SP was so good about taking the e-ring mounting back, I''m sure they can make something for you that is beautiful and durable.

Mrsalvo... I know I could search for the info, but YOUR DIAMOND IS HUGE! My god. I remember you saying you wanted to upgrade. It looks like a 2 carat to me... or maybe it''s your slender fingers? Anyways your set is gorgeous too.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Demelza! I am so sorry to hear this happen to your rings! I too was consdering getting the shared prong setting to match my eternity band and decided not to b/c I was worried about the problems that you have had.

My stone is only 1.04ct, but it is in a 4 prong tiffany style solitaire (that is probably from Stuller but I ordered it from WF) and it sits totally flush next to the eternity band. I had nothing special done with the head - no notch cut out or anything. The head is more of a "v" than a basket type setting (if that makes sense) so the diamond sits higher than a low-basket set one would. I''m sorry if I''m not explaining that well.

It looks like I''m chiming in late and the solitaire is a done deal, but if you don''t like the look of the thin solitaire, my 1.5ct is set in a wider contour setting. That too sits flush with the eternity band.

As far as the credit from SP....I too would get another eternity band to stack with the one you have. I have considered doing that too!
2.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
D: the more i think about it, the more i think having ur diamond set in a plain platinum band and wearing that with ur eternity ring would look really good. With the extra credit, u could purchase a different style ''eternity'' band (or half eternity). This way you could have two different looks with ur ER and it would appear that you have two different wedding sets instead of one? i hope i''m making myself clear and not confusing u =)

I was having a look at the SP site, and found these bands that i think would like nice as a RHR or as an alternative to be worn with ur plain solitaire?

set copy.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, all, for the really helpful, encouraging feedback.

MSB -- That's kind of what I was thinking. I was thinking maybe I would get a semi-eternity band as a more durable and sizable (if my fingers ever change size due to pregnancy, for instance) alternative to my wedding band? Kind of like Mara's RHR band. I was thinking about this one.

13826.jpg

The diamonds are 0.90ct total weight and they are F-G color and VVS-VS clarity. All of the diamonds are ideal or premium cuts. The ring is size 6 (for other sizes, please call for more detailed information) and it weighs 4.3gr. The ring is 2.9mm wide and 2.4mm thick.

What do you think?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
3.gif

I can''t wear full eternity bands. I''m a lotion freak and it drives me crazy to have stones between my fingers too. I think that would look amazgin!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza -- If I do the math correctly, then the diamonds on the ring you posted are 10 points each.

If you would be wearing this as a stand alone band, personally, I would get bigger stones. I have a 5 stone band (not from SP, but way before PS) and the stones are 15 points each. To me personally (and others may disagree
2.gif
), I think 15 points is the minimum size that looks good in a stand alone band. I wish mine were bigger since I usually wear that band by itself. However, I do think the 15 point stones take away from the solitaire if you wear the 2 rings together. Maybe with a 2+ct it may not, but it takes away from my 1.5ct and definitely from my 1.04ct.

I believe Mara said in another thread that she kind of regretted getting her eternity band b/c it was too delicate to stand alone. I believe her stones were 10 points each.

I love my eternity band, but it really isn't the most practical choice. Since I have toddlers, on most days I just wear my 5 stone band. Much easier to keep nice looking. The diamonds on the bottom of the eternity band get pretty gross quite quickly.

Just my $.02
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My RHR has 10 10 pointers and yes it does look lost on my hand sometimes...but as a RHR, not as a w-ring. For a w-ring, I think 10 pointers would be lovely on the left hand. In contrast, my w-ring has 2 pointers set with prongs, and I wear that alone on my left hand sometimes and it''s subtle but pretty and sometimes that''s just what I need. But for my RHR the reason I felt that the ring got lost is that I felt like something ''stronger'' needed to be going on on my RH. But it was just a personal thing for me. I am thinking of getting two very thin eternity rings to flank the 10 stone...I loved that look in the store..3 rows of bling.
31.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
That is a very good idea (semi-eternity), but i think that it mite be a little bit too thin (my opinon though) to be worn alone..i think a wider ring would look nicer and would carry its own weight (no need to compliment it with the ering or any other ring for that matter), and perhaps you can increase the pointers, and decrease the number of stones in the band? I am sure SP will be able to customize something that would fit your requirements?

Mara: i also love the look of three brands together!! yummy..i say..go for it girl!!!
30.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 12:46:15 PM
Author: jellybean
Demelza -- If I do the math correctly, then the diamonds on the ring you posted are 10 points each.

If you would be wearing this as a stand alone band, personally, I would get bigger stones. I have a 5 stone band (not from SP, but way before PS) and the stones are 15 points each. To me personally (and others may disagree
2.gif
), I think 15 points is the minimum size that looks good in a stand alone band. I wish mine were bigger since I usually wear that band by itself. However, I do think the 15 point stones take away from the solitaire if you wear the 2 rings together. Maybe with a 2+ct it may not, but it takes away from my 1.5ct and definitely from my 1.04ct.

I believe Mara said in another thread that she kind of regretted getting her eternity band b/c it was too delicate to stand alone. I believe her stones were 10 points each.

I love my eternity band, but it really isn''t the most practical choice. Since I have toddlers, on most days I just wear my 5 stone band. Much easier to keep nice looking. The diamonds on the bottom of the eternity band get pretty gross quite quickly.

Just my $.02
2.gif
I agree with Jellybean. I have a 5 stone ring with 20 pointers, and I honestly think if the stones were much smaller, it would not look substantial enough to wear alone, which is the way I usually wear it, on my right hand. If the stones were much bigger, though, I don''t think that it would look as good with my solitaire, and I do wear it on the left hand sometimes with my solitare.

My eternity ring has much smaller stones which are channel set, and it looks kind of lost if I wear it alone. I always wear it with my solitaire. It looks more balanced that way.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 11:44:57 AM
Author: moremoremore
3.gif

I can''t wear full eternity bands. I''m a lotion freak and it drives me crazy to have stones between my fingers too. I think that would look amazgin!
I''ve tried on the prong set eternity bands, and I even have a fakey mcfakerton one in sterling silver, but I never have worn it because the stones between my fingers drives me a bit crazy, too. I have no problem with my channel set eternity band, though. With the stones being set down into the ring like that, they don''t rub my fingers. I get the lotion thing, too. My eternity band is always much gunkier than my other rings which tend to stay pretty clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results