shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do, what to do, what to do???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys,
I''m giving myself some stress. This is in regards to my wedding band. My ring size is 5 3/4 & my e-ring is 1.55ct.
I thought I had it figured out, I would do 3-20pt stones & no bars. Now that I have my 3 stones, I''m wondering if I should just do 5 stones since I''m not doing bars. My e-ring has diamonds in the bars set horizontally on each side of the diamond. SOOOOOOOOOOOO, what should I do? I think I''m looking for that wow factor but dont want it to be too over the top.
As a side note. My stones, like Jenibear''s, came from Diamond Brokers of Florida. They are all AGS, Ideal H&A, all are laser engraved, .21pts (2 x SI-1, E) & .22pts (1 x VS-2,F). Jan can find the goods, just ask.
appl.gif
Their prices are cheaper than anyone I have seen so far. Two of the stones got 9.8 on the Isee2, & one got 9.6. All 3 stones got VH on the BScope.
love.gif
lickout.gif

Judy
:)

Picture 040.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry that the pic is a bit blurry. I couldnt get any in focus. :( I think you get the idea of how the band would look.

Judy

Picture 010.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ring pic from website....

Judy

ScottKayRing.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Judy - have you gone to a store to see how differnt bands look next to the ring? I know whatever you get will be much better than maul quality - but it may help to see what they would look like.
I think either band would look great - but I can see how a bar setting for the band would compliment the e-ring well.
That said a prong set band would also look great.
Try to find a large jewelry store with a lot of selection and go on a trying-on field trip. I plan to do that at one particular store in a few weeks just to be sure the band I want will look as I picture it.
Good luck!
Jenibear
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
How about 5 channel-set stones to keep with the channel theme on the ering? I'm not sure 3 stones is enough width to balance out the ering without bars inbetween...but it's your call.
10.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm planning on doing all the stones common prong-set. I've tried on both types, & I like them all. I have to scout out somemore stores though cause the bands I tried on didnt have .20pt stones, but rather .10pt. I'm so freaking confused! I am not saying anything to my fiance till I figure this out on my own. LOL LOL He's a good guy though & his usual response is, do what you want. LOL

Judy

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Got to caution you on the common-prong ones, not safety issues so much, but the stones girdles stick out further than the setting and can cause damage to the e-ring, make sure yours won't touch your ering's side. I know, because I am having to get mine redone yet one more time, and have given up - I will be getting half bezel set, even though I don't like the look as much. LOL, I'll like it better than having them saw through my ering setting!
10.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Caratgirl, I never thought about that. I'll ask Jan what she thinks. If this is what happens, I might have to have the band channel set.
8.gif
I dont like that look as much as common prong, but if it prevents damage to my ering then thats what I'll have to do.
rolleyes.gif

Judy

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is what the band looks like for my ring. I dont like all those tiny stones in the centre. I guess what I could do is use my 3-.20pts stones, & still put the bars at the side. If you look in the centre, there is a thin strip of plat. on either side. I guess this is whats preventing the diamond girdles from touching the e-ring.

Judy

SKSet.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, I think that you could carry off the 20 pointers. I went through the same thing with the stone sizes! I liked the more understated look of the 10 pointers with the ering, but if I wore it by itself, I liked the 20 pointers. Had to have 'em. So now I look a bit 'over the top' when I wear them together. Such is compromise...
9.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I just saw the latest photo & see what you are saying. It might look really nice with the 3 stones and the bars on the sides. That would really prevent them rubbing against the ering. I am sure Jan will know, though. She's just such a cutie.
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What about using two baguettes in between the rounds?

round, bag, round, bag, round.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont like bags to be honest with you. F&I do you think 5 would be too much?
Jan actually thinks the 3 would be more proportionate but as she also said, its all about my preference. Only, I have no idea what I'm looking for right now.
loopy.gif
My co-workers, all but one, think I should do 5. One even said the 3-stone one would be too chintzy. haha Can you tell the woman likes her diamonds!

Judy

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/25/2003 12:21:18 PM ccuheartnurse wrote:

I dont like bags to be honest with you. F&I do you think 5 would be too much?
Jan actually thinks the 3 would be more proportionate but as she also said, its all about my preference. Only, I have no idea what I'm looking for right now.
loopy.gif
My co-workers, all but one, think I should do 5. One even said the 3-stone one would be too chintzy. haha Can you tell the woman likes her diamonds!

Judy
:)----------------

I think 5 would be OT. What is the look you want? I've always like diamond bands that cover the finger spread. Anything more is going to be uncomfortable with this size stone. The only thing that I can go by is my diamond bracelet. The stones are .20-.25. I do have bars between each stone. My ring size is about yours - my bands are smaller to sit lower & guard the e-ring. If I rap the bracelet around my finger, three stones are visible from my bracelet. Given that the bars take up some space, what about 4 stones? Alot depends on how much space is between each stone.

I can understand why this causes you stress. Matching a diamond band to an e-ring's setting is not an easy match/fit. Get it right. At the end of the day, your jeweler has much more experience w/ proportions translating from paper to reality. My guess is it's hard for people to imagine only 3 stones b/c most diamond bands that one is exposed to have .10 melees. Hence, their thought about being chinzy. If you do a search for derekinla's quest for composing a diamond band, the comparison of my bracelet diamond size (.25) & my band diamond size (.10) - there is a dramatic difference.

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Hi Judy,

I think the 3 dimonds would look fine. You're talking about CTW of 60pts. It'll balance out your e-ring very nicely. My concern is that 5 stones at 20pts each may be a bit overwhelming, and "take away" some of the beauty of your 1.55 engagement ring.

If you really want 5 diamonds, would you consider using 2 smaller ones? Something like .20, .10, .20, .10, .20?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I agree...3 stones is great. Anything larger would overpower the beauty of the original e-ring IMO
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Huh. I'm also thinking that, given the size of your stones, 5 is going to be too much. I vote for 3.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys, you're absolutely correct in advising I stick with 3. I went out tonight & managed to find a band, bar set, with 5 x .20pts. The 5 stones were too much, but when I rotated the band to have only 3 set against my ring it looked so much better. I was glad they had the .20pts cause its really hard to judge when the stones are .8 or .10pts in size. I actually even liked the bar set & it matched my ring well. Thats an idea.
wink2.gif

CuriousCanuck, listen to you, giving advice & everything now! LOL I did want my stones uniform in size. I have the 3 stones, & thats all I'm going to get. Jan was right, stick to 3 as its more proportionate.

So, since I'm going lower in ct. wt. for my wedding band, I can transfer that to my studs some day.
appl.gif
haha

Again, thank you SO much for putting up with my indecisiveness.

Judy

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
YAY! Judy!
1.gif

Glad you made a decision - Jan always knows her stuff!
appl.gif

Wait till I start talking to her about my wedding band - boy will I drive the woman crazy!
2.gif

Please post pics when its done! I'm sure it will be a beautiful set!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results