shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do two different appraisals!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

derfiniw

Rough_Rock
heres the deal, my fiance got me a ring certified through EGL through a family friend who only deals with diamonds as a hobby. He got it at a great deal, she did it at cost for us. I decided to finally get a new ring band through an independent jeweler and had it appraised today. The color is supposed to be F and the independent jeweler said it was L colored. The diamond even without the band was appraised almost $2000 dollars less than my fiancee paid. Any suggestions as to what I should do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe consider that this person wasn''t really a friend?
31.gif

But by all means take it to someone else and get another opinion. If it has been some time since you got the diamond, I doubt there is a thing you cna do. It would have been best if you had it appraised immediately after he got it when there was still time to return it.

derfiniw

Rough_Rock
well i am pretty sure the family friend was honest, my fiancee was there when she paid for it online so i dont think that is the case. I have the certification here and I was wondering if it would be worth while to call EGL new york . do you think they would do anything now?

togal

Shiny_Rock
Did the family friend give you anything in writing? A receipt or independent appraisal? F to L is a huge jump. Also, to have something appraised at $2,000 less than the selling price is pretty bad.....it supposed to work the other way. I don''t know, but I''d be seriously thinking about filing a small claims suit if the friend gives you no satisifaction upon letting them know what you''ve learned about the stone. I really don''t know if much can be done at this point though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is pointless to call EGL. I am sure they make no guarantees on their certs, so they willl certainly do nothing. It is well known around here that EGL certs are sometimes inaccurate, particularly on color. But the current jeweler may be off, too. So you really need to take it to another certified appraiser to get it looked at. How long have you had the stone? If it was recent, perhaps it could be returned to the vendor who sold it if it was misrepresented. I am a little puzzled why if it is really an L that you wouldn''t notice a yellow tint on the side of the diamond. F is colorless and there is no tint you could see. Can you see yellow when you hold the stone against a white background?

derfiniw

Rough_Rock
no i see no yellow and my fiancee is obviously not a diamond expert, but when we go into any jeweler he can examine the diamond and usually tell you what the color and quality is.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is no way anyone could think a properly graded ''l'' was an ''f''. was the stone bought loose and then re''appraised'' in the setting?

derfiniw

Rough_Rock
yes the stone was bought loose and put in a temporary setting. i found a band tht i love which was pave''d diamonds and cost about 800 dollars so the jeweler re-set it. i assumed that it would be appraised higher than if it were loose.

derfiniw

Rough_Rock
i think we might need to take it to another appraiser

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s not important to have a stone loose for a higher appraisal, it is important to have the stone loose to get an ACCURATE appraisal.
make sure you use an independant appraiser, someone who does not sell diamonds or jewelry. in the end, take into consideration the price you paid for the diamond. you can''t get an ''f'' colored diamond at an ''l'' price. you may have exactly what you paid for and nothing more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something funny going on. I''d now be wary of leaving the diamond with this jeweler to reset until you find out who is honest and who is not.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry..I see that it has already been reset. So take a close look and make sure you have the same stone back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results