shape
carat
color
clarity

What to Do?Pt. 2

raffanth

Rough_Rock
Greetings all,

Thanks so much :dance: You people are amazing. I have already benefited from my single post here. For the original link check here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-to-do.234936/

Can I get your input on the diamond below please? I appreciate any help or advice you can bring to this discussion. Is this a good deal or is better available on jamesallen?

I have been working with a diamond wholesaler who has sent me the following diamond telling me is brilliant and the right one for me. The price is $4935 USD.
He also sent me this video link : https://api.sarine.com/viewer/v1/67YPKLNAFRP/HKMWBGRPDD

My concerns are as follows:
1) Polish is only very good. Katie above recommended EX
2) The VS2 rating - should I be worried, when looking at the picture it looks like will have some small imperfections right on the top but I dont know if they will effect the look of the diamond.
3) Does this oval quality as a the squat oval? I like the idea of width across the finger as recommended by rockysalamander

GIA Report Number ........................................ 2185410658
Shape and Cutting Style ................................ Oval Brilliant
Measurements ................................ 8.03 x 5.77 x 3.47 mm
Carat Weight ......................................................... 1.01 carat
Color Grade .......................................................................... D
Clarity Grade .................................................................... VS2
Polish .................................................................... Very Good
Symmetry .............................................................. Excellent
Fluorescence ................................................................ None

Ratio 1.391
Depth 60.2%
Table59.00%
Girdle M-STK

upload_2017-10-18_15-10-22-png.598165

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(disclaimer: NOT an oval expert)

I wouldn't personally worry about VS2. The inclusions shouldn't be visible with the naked eye. You could ask the vendor though if you're concerned.

I wish the video was better. I like the shape, color is amazing, clarity is great. I just can't tell if there's a bowtie effect or whether the cut is great.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass...too much mushy area from what I'm seeing. The video is not that great but as the stone moves you should see more areas light up going
towards the long rounded ends. Really not seeing that. Only seeing nice facets light up right through the center which is not good enough.

If you give us your budget/specs we can point out some that we think are good that you can use as comparison. I personlly would not worry too much
about the Very good polish. The cut and the way it reflects light is way more important. (nice ovals take some searching).

Edit...I have to run right now but can help more when I get back.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry about VS2, it's perfectly fine. I don't love that video, I'd rather see a crappy cell phone video. Looks like there is some bow tie (which is not always a bad thing and I'm kind of over hearing people act like any sign of a bow tie is the devil) and reasonable sparkle. Can you get an ASET for this stone? That will help determine its light performance.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PS - I would be very wary of anyone calling themselves a wholesaler and offering one option which is “ the one for you”. Why don’t you select your own diamond with forum help?

raffanth

Rough_Rock
This wholesaler was used by multiple people I know, he is reputable and has delivered in the past. I am not worried about credibility. He told me the following

"I just called the company in NYC. They have a professional photography company that does the videos and they will not do any other than through that company. They described the bowtie as a small one that is only visible in certain lighting conditions. The cut quality of the diamond is excellent. I've posted the chart below so you could see where that diamond stands. This diamond has a 59 table (right in the ideal range) as well as a 60.2%depth right in the ideal range. The diamond has a very desirable LW ratio of 1.39 : 1.Also, the diamond has a very high degree of brilliance."

What does it mean that the diamond has a high degree of brilliance?

He gave me a boat load of options but we settled on this one. Maybe I should go back to him and ask him to look at more options.

My budget/specs are as follows:

Budget: $5-6K USD
Minimum 1ct - 1.2ct
Shape: Oval (prefer a squat over something longer)
Color & Clarity - The best specs possible of course but I would say minimum G color and VS2 clarity.

Like I said maybe this one just isn't the one for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks to you all who took the time to read my post.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
vg/vg polish and symmetry are very very rarely an issue and quite common in fancies.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry about VS2, it's perfectly fine. I don't love that video, I'd rather see a crappy cell phone video. Looks like there is some bow tie (which is not always a bad thing and I'm kind of over hearing people act like any sign of a bow tie is the devil) and reasonable sparkle. Can you get an ASET for this stone? That will help determine its light performance.

I'm with Doberman. I see a slight bow tie, but it's not a mess. ASET would be helpful, or even a closer view of the diamond, in video. I can't see any obvious, glaring inclusions, and if symmetry is EX, the cut is optimal for a fancy stone. The l x w ratio is good, especially since "squat" is the direction in which you want to go.
I like what I can see, so far. Closer video/photos, and an ASET would be very helpful....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A plus for that stone is that it does face up fairly large due to its depth and the price is very good for the specs.

Well, let me just say, unlike round brilliants you can not buy fancy cut stones by the numbers. They may help to some degree but they dont tell the whole
story. Round Brilliants all have the same cut patterns and the same number of facets. Numbers can tell you a lot about a round brilliant. Ovals have several
different cut patterns (4 main, 6 main, 8 main, 8 main offset and different number of facets to go with them.) Due to the variety you will find in an oval its
just not that easy to use a set of numbers to claim that its a "good" stone (and by "good" I mean well cut with a lot of well defined facets reflecting light).

Here are some ovals that I think are cut well...look for nice facets lighting up as the stone turns.
A few definitions "mush" or "mushy" areas...look like this (see red area). These areas do not reflect light well. A lot of ovals have this area but as the
stone turns the facets should become distinctive and should light up (you should see some well defined facets as the stone turns). Please ignore the color on this stone. You want to minimize the amount of
mushiness in a stone.
mushy areas in oval.PNG
Compared to this oval that shows nicely defined facets as the stone turns. I consider the below stone to be a nicely cut oval.
nice facets.PNG
Here is the link to this stone if you want to examine it more. I've also linked in some other stones that I consider nicely cut so you know what to look for.(ignore size/color/clalrity...just look at cut) Can your dealer bring that stone above in so that you can view it/play with it to see if it has minimal mush
and nice facets as the stone moves? The video is not that helpful.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.50-carat-d-color-if-clarity-sku-3402581
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.50-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3030053
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.73-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2569137
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.70-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3427785

Edit...I do not consider the stone you posted above to be a squatty oval. Squatty to me would be
1.3 or less but you can look at stones on James Allen, find one that you like the shape of and
then figure out the ratio to see what you like.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a relative size of the stone that you posted and one that I think is more of a "squatty" oval (on the right). This is on a size 6 1/2 finger
just to show how big the stone your jeweler picked will face up. It does face up a nice size. "Squatty" is subjective so you have to decide what
your "squatty" definition is. Hoping this helps.

oval difference.PNG

raffanth

Rough_Rock
Thank you again to everyone who took the time to give details. The like for the finger visualisation was awesome. So I think I found the stone I am going to buy.

Price: $5000
Color: G
Clairity: VS1
Polish: EX Sym: EX Flour:None
Cut: Ideal

Here is a link: http://67.210.112.43/product/diamond_image_video.php?cert=1275064240

Do you think it is the right price? a great stone? a good deal? or should I keep looking for something better?

I believe there is not the mushiness as in the other stone I posted. The black is minimal and the bowtie is really barely visible. Let me know what you guys see.

I appreciate all your honest feedback. Have a great night!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results