shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do if the jeweller does not help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What can a consumer do in the scenario

I have a diamond ring I bought from a jeweller, there is no certificate. I believe the girdle is Very Thin but how do I know without a certificate. The jeweller is of absolutely no help which the ring was bought from a few years ago.

The diamond is a 0.47 carat round brilliant.

How does a consumer know if the girdle is Very Thin without getting a sarin run on the diamond which is already set anyway?

The jewellers in question is the Head Office of a chain store in the NW of England.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid, do you have access to a decent appraiser? I have found that appraisers will do as much or as little as you request/require. For example, they would probably look over the stone....and even set they can tell about the girdle.....Or even another trusted jeweler should be able to discuss the girdle issue.....probably at no cost to you.....Do you have anyone there you can trust?????
33.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been to a local jeweller but they said it was a poor quality diamond. I do not want to pay anymore money towards it so I do not want to go to an appraiser. Local jewellers in the UK do not know a thick girdle from a very thin girdle or if they do know they won''t categorise it as Very Thin or Thin.

I know that in the free book by Fred Cuellar (and I know he is not worth much) he says if you can''t see it with the naked eye but I do not know if that is a far way to judge it for the novice.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some stores have a GG appraiser who visits every few weeks to do appraisals by appointment. If any of the stores in your area do this, the appraiser would be able to tell you about the girdle. The written appraisal lists both the replacement value and the resale value and the appraiser also takes a picture of the item.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies.

The UK is way behind the US in regards to appraisers. I once had a ring appraised and the appraiser only wrote the estimated carat weight of the diamond in the ring. No more details about the diamond only the mm measurements of the gold ring. An appraiser would charge me minimum of $70 just for that so I will not pay it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jewellers say they are confident that their products are what they say. Yes, they do NOT say ANYTHING about girdle width.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pyr, where abouts in Blighty are you?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results