shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do? Certify now, later or at all?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am questioning my decision not to send my 3.76 pear spinel purchased from Swala Gems to AGL for a report. The stone is with Victor Canera having it's home made. He should have the setting ready by the first of next week. I am wondering now if I should have him hold off on setting the stone and send it to AGL for me. Or should I go ahead and let him set it, then send the ring. Or should I just not get it certed? I was so ready to get it set but now am second guessing my decision. HELP PLEASE!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Do you have some specific reason to believe that it's not a natural spinel or is this just general nervousness about the stone? If it's the former, then send the stone before it's set. If it's the latter then send the whole ring after it's set.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally would get it certified. I know it sounds silly, but just for peace of mind and if you ever want to get it insured, I think that's the best way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your reason for a lab memo? Proof of a natural spinel? Proof of origin? Or will it be a full prestige report with colour rating?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1314884714|3007321 said:
What is your reason for a lab memo? Proof of a natural spinel? Proof of origin? Or will it be a full prestige report with colour rating?

This.

If you are concerned about it being a synthetic.....I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Swala is reputable, and it's inconceivable to me that they would risk their reputation by sending you something that isn't exactly what it purports to be. It would certainly make PS history.

If you are wanting validation that it really is as lovely/valuable as you think it is, what would you do if the report came back with some unexpected result? I can't imagine what that would be, offhand, but just supposing? Would you have VC not set the stone? Pay for the expensive setting, but not have a stone to put in it?

I just am a bit puzzled as to why you are suddenly feeling this level of anxiety over a purchase you were formerly really excited about.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still very excited about the stone and absolutely love it. I guess I just worry that I need one. Say that at some time in the future should I ever need to sell or replace it because of loss.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1314887875|3007365 said:
I am still very excited about the stone and absolutely love it. I guess I just worry that I need one. Say that at some time in the future should I ever need to sell or replace it because of loss.

If that is the case then I would send it after you have it set.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I going to need a lab cert for an appropriate appraisal?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good appraiser doesn't really need a lab memo but if you want an exact replacement that the insurance company cannot contest, I would spring for the full prestige report that will include the colour quality. This can be done on a stone that is already set, if you agree to pay an added fee.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it sounds like I need to see what the cost of certing the set stone vs unset is and decide based on that?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I believe AGL charges 15% extra for a mounted stone. So 483 vs 420 for a grading/origin/ID report

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kismet. I have a spinel from a trusted vendor, appraised by Martin Fuller, so I'm on the fence about having it certified after mounting or just reappraised. I have to get it appraised anyway for insurance purposes.

Bright Ice, I'm considering Victor Canera also for my spinel. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Now I understand. Sorry, I guess I was just not tracking what your concern was. Would having VC send it to AGL before setting cause you to be bumped to the back of his work queue? If not, or if it wouldn't bother you for the project to be delayed a bit, it sounds as though it might give you some peace of mind to get a complete report on your beautiful spinel now, rather than later.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1314888758|3007379 said:
A good appraiser doesn't really need a lab memo but if you want an exact replacement that the insurance company cannot contest, I would spring for the full prestige report that will include the colour quality. This can be done on a stone that is already set, if you agree to pay an added fee.

Well that said, you know that I could not replace this stone with an exact replacement :nono: I would have to settle for what I could find and with the price increase and lack of quality mahenge's coming out of the mines, just no telling :-o

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1314892378|3007443 said:

Now I understand. Sorry, I guess I was just not tracking what your concern was. Would having VC send it to AGL before setting cause you to be bumped to the back of his work queue? If not, or if it wouldn't bother you for the project to be delayed a bit, it sounds as though it might give you some peace of mind to get a complete report on your beautiful spinel now, rather than later.

He is almost finished with my setting so it would just mean that he would only have to set the stone once AGL completed the cert and got it back to him. It would basically take about 2 weeks, the time frame for the process. I am SO ready to get it!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1314891032|3007425 said:
Thanks, Kismet. I have a spinel from a trusted vendor, appraised by Martin Fuller, so I'm on the fence about having it certified after mounting or just reappraised. I have to get it appraised anyway for insurance purposes.

Bright Ice, I'm considering Victor Canera also for my spinel. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Pregcurious, you cannot go wrong with Victor. This is the second setting he has done for me and I am totally happy with his craftmanship and customer service.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bright ice|1314894332|3007470 said:

He is almost finished with my setting so it would just mean that he would only have to set the stone once AGL completed the cert and got it back to him. It would basically take about 2 weeks, the time frame for the process. I am SO ready to get it!

Would it be selfish of me to change my answer just so we can see your ring sooner?? ;-)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1314895233|3007482 said:
bright ice|1314894332|3007470 said:

Would it be selfish of me to change my answer just so we can see your ring sooner?? ;-)

I am really concerned about being too selfish for myself :lol:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a little piece of mind after talking to an appraiser (certified AGI) who says that he would not recommend a lab report. BTW, I found him via PS, he is in LA.

He says if you get a certified appraiser with the correct credentials, then they should be able to appropraitely evaluate the gemstone. If a problem happened to arise during the process, then is the time to send it to a lab. He suggest if buying from a reputable seller, then I should be fine and have no worries.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for singing out of tune, but I would definitely certify it with AGL. Because it is an expensive stone and it will be a rich ring, a cert. would help.
Nothing to do with not trusting Swala or local appraisers. Just for the future. Because in a year or two, no doubt, some smart head will find a way of color-enhancing spinels or manipulating them in a different way... and you'll have a certificate dated with a year when they were not doing these things.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Bright Ice, I think Crasru is right.
I would just go ahead and send it to AGL.
It is a very unique Mahenge Spinel, in a large size,
and cost a lot, and most important
you love it. :love: :love: :love:
It's home can wait.
Just get the cert, put it in your safe when it comes.
Then wear your ring with pride and pleasure in its beauty !!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking here about my situation.
If I go ahead and have it set before sending it to AGL I will be insuring the value of the entire ring, not just the stone which will cost even more there and back plus the extra 15% :(sad

I think I will contact Victor about it tomorrow :confused:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling Chrono!

Did you get an AGL report on your Mahenge spinel? I ask because yours is quite an expensive stone as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no plans to resell it and it is kept in a bank safety box most of the time, only seeing daylight for special occasions (very low risk of theft and damage). Thus, I feel no need for my stone to be insured (basically it is self insured by me) and hence, having a lab memo becomes unnecessary.

If I did not take these precautions, I will insure with Jewellery Mutual with the cash payout option. I will spring for the full AGL prestige memo with colour grading and have the appraiser give me a replacement value based on the information. This way, I have a full proof case where the insurance company cannot contest the value of the stone and if the stone needs to be replaced, they MUST find a like stone in terms of quality (again the AGL memo will state this very clearly and in detail that cannot be contested). No matter how famous an appraiser is, he isn't recognized all over the world nor by most people but a reputable lab is, which is why I would opt for AGL over any appraiser. This will play a very big role when and should you one day need to resell your Mahenge spinel.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1314967264|3008161 said:
I have no plans to resell it and it is kept in a bank safety box most of the time, only seeing daylight for special occasions (very low risk of theft and damage). Thus, I feel no need for my stone to be insured (basically it is self insured by me) and hence, having a lab memo becomes unnecessary.

If I did not take these precautions, I will insure with Jewellery Mutual with the cash payout option. I will spring for the full AGL prestige memo with colour grading and have the appraiser give me a replacement value based on the information. This way, I have a full proof case where the insurance company cannot contest the value of the stone and if the stone needs to be replaced, they MUST find a like stone in terms of quality (again the AGL memo will state this very clearly and in detail that cannot be contested). No matter how famous an appraiser is, he isn't recognized all over the world nor by most people but a reputable lab is, which is why I would opt for AGL over any appraiser. This will play a very big role when and should you one day need to resell your Mahenge spinel.

Thanks Chrono for your reply. This ring will not be one I will wear everyday but I want to feel comfortable wearing it and having it insured because you just never know what may happen. I really don't want to have to run to my bank safe deposit box when I do want to wear it either. I don't plan on ever selling it but who knows what life may bring!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to go ahead and send the gem to AGL for the Prestige Grading Report which will give me everything. I just think better now than later.

The worst part is the waiting now :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results