shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do AFTER receiving a diamond in the mail?

iceforever

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, once I have selected a diamond for purchase online, what do I do next and when do I do it? I have A LOT of questions that I really need help with, please! :confused:

1) For safety purposes, how can I get the diamond insured against being lost or stolen the day it arrives on my doorstep? I have heard that perfectcircle and jewelersmutual are the two stand alone insurance policies, but how can I go about insuring it so that there is coverage the second it comes into my possession? Or is the diamond insured by the seller during the return period?

2) About the appraisal process, who is trustworthy in the Pacific Northwest? How many appraisals are suggested? Is it possible to get a diamond appraised by multiple people in a weeks time? Additionally, do they do the appraisal in front of you, or do you leave it with them and return for it later? If the latter, how can you safeguard against the appraiser or jeweler swapping your diamond with an inferior lookalike?

3) Finally, we will be moving very soon after purchasing the diamond, too soon to have the diamond mounted in a permanent setting. How do we safely transfer a loose diamond across the country on a plane? Can it even be done? Or would we need to get a 1-2 day-turn around simple mass produced setting and wear the diamond to the destination? If the latter is the only way of transporting the diamond on a plane, again, how do we ensure that the jeweler does not swap out the diamond?

Thank you SO much in advance for your help. I know it's a lot, but we don't feel comfortable purchasing until we know how to move forward with the online purchase.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. AFAIK Jeweler's Mutual/Perfect Circle does not insure loose stones, only stones mounted in settings. You could call and ask them about it though.

2. resources>appraisers. You just need one. How the appraiser does it may vary by appraiser. Diamond-swapping is incredibly rare. To guard against it, get a loupe and learn the inclusions of your diamond.

3. Uh, put it in a bag, in a little box (or in whatever it shipped in), and put that in a zip pocket in your carryon that you're leaving under the seat in front of you?

Or you could wait to buy the diamond until after you move and have selected a setting. That would probably make everything easier.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
extremesnugs|1415935826|3783127 said:
1) For safety purposes, how can I get the diamond insured against being lost or stolen the day it arrives on my doorstep? I have heard that perfectcircle and jewelersmutual are the two stand alone insurance policies, but how can I go about insuring it so that there is coverage the second it comes into my possession? Or is the diamond insured by the seller during the return period?
Perfect Circle IS Jeweler's Mutual. It is their personal jewelry branch. JM insures loose stones before and during the setting process. I am not sure whether they will insure the loose stone if you have no yet purchased a setting. I believe you are insured once you receive a policy # from them. It took them one day to confirm mine. To purchase insurance, you need only provide them a receipt of the loose stone and setting, but with detailed information on each (4 C's, metal type, etc.) JM requires an appraisal of the finished ring, and they will bill you for the difference.

extremesnugs|1415935826|3783127 said:
2) About the appraisal process, who is trustworthy in the Pacific Northwest? How many appraisals are suggested? Is it possible to get a diamond appraised by multiple people in a weeks time? Additionally, do they do the appraisal in front of you, or do you leave it with them and return for it later? If the latter, how can you safeguard against the appraiser or jeweler swapping your diamond with an inferior lookalike?
I happen to also been in the PNW! I used PS's appraisal search: https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers, coupled with searches of Yelp/BBB reviews. My local jeweler did my insurance appraisal for free, but if you are not getting it set locally there are many options in the Bellevue/Seattle/Tacoma areas. The one I was going to go to (before I found out mine would be free from my jeweler) has appraisal rates that start at $95. A diamond appraisal should run from $35-300, may I ask why you are paying for multiple appraisals, and in the same week? The appraiser should show you your diamond under a microscope, with the inscription.

iceforever

Rough_Rock
distracts & alpackie: thank you SO much for taking the time to respond to my many questions. what magnification of loupe do i need for precise inclusion identification? 10x? 40x? Should i get a couple of different types of loupes to be safe? If you happen to know some good ones and could link them that would be great.

Good to know that I can get the stone insured with the specs and receipt alone; that means I can get it insured during the few days it will take to ship.

Hope that I can get them to cover the loose stone though. Maybe I will need to get a temporary setting for insurance AND transportation purposes. My worry is going through security at the airport...if there is a long line, your eye isn't always able to be on the bins that may have gone ahead through the scanner on the other side.

Can you please PM me or just post here who you would recommend in the Greater seattle area? What do you mean by resources are greater than appraisers?

iceforever

Rough_Rock
by the way, beautiful setting on your diamond alpackie...it looks like flower petals...was it set by a local jeweler?

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
extremesnugs|1415939334|3783169 said:
Hope that I can get them to cover the loose stone though. Maybe I will need to get a temporary setting for insurance AND transportation purposes. My worry is going through security at the airport...if there is a long line, your eye isn't always able to be on the bins that may have gone ahead through the scanner on the other side.

Can you please PM me or just post here who you would recommend in the Greater seattle area? What do you mean by resources are greater than appraisers?
Is there a reason you have to buy the stone NOW, before moving? It seems like a huge hassle. And I think most places will hold the stone for you if you'vr put down a deposit.

I think "resources>appraisers" means that you should consider what tools/expertise individual appraisers have, rather than # of appraisers.

Also, I unfortunately cannot recommend to you specific appraisers in the Seattle area with confidence, as I did not end up going to get a 3rd party appraiser, I went through my local jeweler. Just cross-reference the PS search with Yelp and BBB, you'll be just fine! :wavey:

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
extremesnugs|1415939418|3783170 said:
by the way, beautiful setting on your diamond alpackie...it looks like flower petals...was it set by a local jeweler?
Thanks! It was indeed set by a local jeweler! I don't think I can mention their name here per forum rules, but I can say they are one of the highest rated jewelers in Seattle :rodent:

More pics here if you're interested: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-2ct-danhov-petal-prong-solitaire-in-platinum.207913/#post-3782951#p3782951']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-2ct-danhov-petal-prong-solitaire-in-platinum.207913/#post-3782951#p3782951[/URL]

iceforever

Rough_Rock
Um is it by a jeweler with the initials TR by any chance? is it allowed for you to PM me the name of your jeweler? i would just love a good reference if it's allowed/ you're comfortable.

edit: nvm sorry i didn't see the last part of your first post...i will search on PS and yelp/bbb for good appraisers. :)

in answer to your question, it's a really well priced diamond for what it is and im worried that if we wait it will be bought up by someone else. and the deposit is nonrefundable and something high like 20%.

iceforever

Rough_Rock
thanks for the pics! have to say your ring is the only cathedral setting i've ever seen that i've ever liked, it's really nice!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can mention vendor names. Always.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
extremesnugs|1415939334|3783169 said:

Go to the resources tab, click appraisers. Search your location. There will be a list. https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/map

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1415939906|3783175 said:
extremesnugs|1415939418|3783170 said:
Thanks! It was indeed set by a local jeweler! I don't think I can mention their name here per forum rules, but I can say they are one of the highest rated jewelers in Seattle :rodent:

More pics here if you're interested: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-2ct-danhov-petal-prong-solitaire-in-platinum.207913/#post-3782951#p3782951']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-2ct-danhov-petal-prong-solitaire-in-platinum.207913/#post-3782951#p3782951[/URL]

Yes you can. This is a consumer advocacy forum - why on earth wouldn't you be able to mention the name of your jeweler? Please do!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1415940993|3783186 said:
DOH! I must be thinking of linking to other diamond websites :doh: Thanks Gypsy for the clarification!

NW Gemological Laboratory is the appraiser I was going to use.

L T Denny Jewelers is my jeweler. I plan on writing a detailed review about them after I try out the ring for a week or so!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1415941188|3783189 said:
Yes you can. This is a consumer advocacy forum - why on earth wouldn't you be able to mention the name of your jeweler? Please do!
Niel once had to take a screenshot of some diamond website instead of linking it, and I remember scouring the internet to find the link myself... guess I overgeneralized that experience :lol: so traumatic!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
alpackie|1415941205|3783190 said:
Gypsy|1415940993|3783186 said:
DOH! I must be thinking of linking to other diamond websites :doh: Thanks Gypsy for the clarification!

NW Gemological Laboratory is the appraiser I was going to use.

L T Denny Jewelers is my jeweler. I plan on writing a detailed review about them after I try out the ring for a week or so!

You can link to jewelers. You can't link to sites similar to PS. That's about it.

iceforever

Rough_Rock
distracts: thanks a lot for the link to the appraisers!

alpackie: thanks for the name of the appraiser you were thinking of using!

:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results