shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do about side inclusion? Would it bother you?

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
FI and I recently bought this K VS2 diamond. There's a crystal inclusion that is visible from the side.

I was originally thinking about having it in a open profile setting, but I think the inclusion is pretty noticeable. What type of setting would you recommend to hide the inclusion, and would it bother you to see it all the time?

stone1.jpg

stone2.jpg

stone3.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Is this diamond certified? I am kind of surprised with the visibility of this inclusion given the stone is VS2.

I would do a bezel or six prong to cover it up. It's probably harder to cover it up with a four prong setting.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Those pics are very magnified. How noticeable is the inclusion in person?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grading is done from the top down, so a VS2 with a visible inclusion from the side is not uncommon. That said, I would not be able to deal with that. My definition of eye-clean means from all angles, all sides, all lighting, all distances, if I see it with my naked eye AT ALL, it's not eye clean.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I could easily live with those birthmarks. I never loop my jewellery and neither do my friends and family. If you set sidestones next to it--they might be better "concealed".

cheers--Sharon

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
If you like your diamond and you want to keep it:
OCgirl said:
I would do a bezel or six prong to cover it up. It's probably harder to cover it up with a four prong setting.

But if it was my diamond:
ame said:
That said, I would not be able to deal with that. My definition of eye-clean means from all angles, all sides, all lighting, all distances, if I see it with my naked eye AT ALL, it's not eye clean.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
My definition of eye clean is the same as Ame so it would bother me a lot to see an inclusion from the side...still, if you like this particular stone a bezel would probably the best option. Alternatively you may ask a jeweller if this inclusion could be hidden by a prong given its location?

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you all very much for your comments/suggestions!

The diamond is an AGS0. I currently have a 1/2 carat in a half bezel setting right now and want something a little more delicate for this - hence the thought of going with a four prong. I like six prongs, but prefer them for bigger stones... 1.5ct and up. I also thought about a three-stone with .30 sides but that's out of our budget right now.

I can definitely see the side inclusions from 12 inches away. I think the pavilion facets refract the inclusion, making it more noticeable when viewed from the side. I can also see it from the top, but it looks like a tiny speck. My super conservative jeweler considers it eye clean from the top, and says for the price we paid - it is a great deal.

I agree with Ame... I don't feel the stone is eye-clean enough for the reasons she listed. However, I think my FI is pretty much done shopping for the stone. He says he thought it's suppose to be a "fun" process, not a "let's analyze this with a 100x microscope and talk to five different appraisers" process. :roll:

Finding an eye clean VS2 is seriously like digging for a needle in a haystack. We could move up in clarity but that means more money. Unless I can find an equivalent stone (same color, clarity, and price) without the visible inclusion --- it looks like I will be happy with what I have.

For the setting, I originally wanted an open profile head, but the Brian Gavin fishtail pave with the straight or truth head might work better. Oh decisions, decisions...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're willing to go down in color you should be able to go up in clarity without paying too much if anything more.

My DH and definitely Jon and Sarah at GOG probably would like to forget the period of their lives where I was sifting through stones ;-) But I ended up being surprised at what was more important to me between color and clarity: clarity won. I have eyes that would probably make me a damn freak show in a circus, theyre VERY good up close and when I wear my contacts/glasses, better still. My stolen stone was an SI2 but one of those needle in a haystack ones with a prongable inclusion and nothing else visible without a strong loupe. And let's say that was not happening for me this time around. I actually wanted a J stone that they had in stock but the inclusion was killing me.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
My jeweler says the stone is more likely an L-M, and not K like the AGS cert says. FI and I originally were looking for J SI1's - but I couldn't deal with the inclusions and had to drop a color to increase on clarity. I am one of those that carries a loop with me everywhere (FI loves to tell jewelers that I have my own loop). I've seen N-O-P colors a few times, but not sure if they're for me.

Ame, I saw your H VS1 in one of your other threads... it looks amazing!! I wish we had a bigger budget to work with, but between student loans, car payments, and our wedding... *sigh* I suppose we have our five year anniversary to look forward to.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's whiter in part bec of the cut. The way it's cut definitely helps hide inclusions also. But I don't know what the budget is to find what you are interested in.

Carrying a loupe is good...and sometimes bad. Most jewelers groan when I take mine out.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
Our budget is around $3K for the stone... preferably less, but we paid $3100 for my current stone. Our criteria is: K-L-M, VVS1 - VS2, AGS0 or GIA XXX, 0.94-0.99ct. (6.3mm + in diameter is ideal). I noticed there's a price increase for over 1ct vs 0.98ct, etc.

Groaning isn't so bad. I've had jewelers roll their eyes when I take out mine. *shrug* At least they know we're serious! :)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I an like you guys. I have exceptional upclose vision. I do not mind color. I have a J and in many types of lighting it is beautiful with awesome colored light. But I would not compromise on clarity. I have a VS1 which is eye clean, mind clean, and 10X clean, just the way I like it.

I prefer it to my SI1 G because of the blotch on the bottom and the blob on the side. I can barely see it with the naked eye, but it bothers me under magnification.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That side inclusion would bother me.
I know that graders only consider the top view, but I'd hate to pay for that VS2 since plenty of VS2s are eye clean from the top and the side.

I might be more willing to tolerate that side view inclusion if it was (and was priced as) an SI1 or SI2.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
So I guess the real question is... for $3100, is it worth it with the side inclusion or can I find something better?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it's up to you...but eye-clean VS2 should NOT be needle-in-haystack.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1317094562|3026569 said:
it's up to you...but eye-clean VS2 should NOT be needle-in-haystack.

Ditto.

When you say eye clean do you actually mean Loupe cleanÉ

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
It's more of a mind-clean issue. As soon as I see the inclusions on the plot, I will try to find it without my loop. If our budget were $1K more, We can probably find a less included stone. I suppose we could use our setting money, but I wouldn't be able to wear my diamond. :)

I really appreciate all your opinions, and will definitely update if my jeweler is able to find me a better stone at our budget.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I really think you should be able to find a totally eye-clean VS2.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1317137930|3026859 said:
I really think you should be able to find a totally eye-clean VS2.
yup :!: shouldn't be any problem.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I agree that you should be able to find an eye-clean VS2. But it sounds like mind-clean for you may require going up to VS1 or even VVS clarity. If that is true then I would drop down to L-M color or wait until you have enough saved to get what you really want in terms of clarity. $3,100 is a lot of money to spend on something that isn't what you want, especially if you also have to compromise on the setting you wanted to hide the inclusion.

That said, clarity is the least important "c" to me and I could accept that inclusion *if* it were priced as an SI and could be covered up by a prong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results