shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do about Ruby Lane ring purchase?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies (and gents), I impulsively purchased a 3 stone ring on Ruby Lane, simply for the "potential" of being able to reset the center diamond into a setting of my choice later on. I thought it was a good price for something about 1 carat, I-J color, and VS clarity and diameter 6.4-6.5 mm. I got the ring in person and the center diamond looks warmer than my ideal cut J diamond studs.

First question: Do transitional/OEC cut diamonds appear warmer than round brilliant cut diamonds?

Second question: I told the seller that I wanted to return the ring for a refund since it was warmer than what I had expected. He offered me a refund of $500 if I wanted to keep it. Should I negotiate lower and just keep it? I originally purchased the ring for $3200, and with the $500 refund, it would be $2700 for a carat (or lower if I can negotiate it).

Here is the link to the listing if you are curious: http://www.rubylane.com/item/719941-RL-011/Classic-14K-Gold-3-Stone?popup=1

Just out of curiosity, I am going to visit a jeweler tonight to see what they think the real color is. There is no way it's a J, unless my diamond studs are actually higher in color.

Thanks! :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't compare it to anything, but it sure is a gorgeous ring and I think you got a decent price, especially if you get another $500 back. I'll be curious to know what your jeweler says.

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1322609669|3071169 said:
I can't compare it to anything, but it sure is a gorgeous ring and I think you got a decent price, especially if you get another $500 back. I'll be curious to know what your jeweler says.
Thanks for your reply Yennyfire! I realize it's a decent price, but the diamond doesn't "sing" to me in its current setting. I wonder what a new setting would do for it, and if does nothing for it, I'll feel sad that I wasted money on a project. Although, the greedy/diamond hoarding side of me likes the idea of picking up a good deal from an online website :twisted: Do you think I can make the diamond appear whiter if I set it in a milgrained bezel solitaire setting?

BTW I Love your oval and setting. I was visiting Singlestone when they mentioned outloud that you got the "Jewel of the Week". :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the most important thing is can you see yourself loving this diamond when you reset it in the future? Because if it is too warm for you no matter the price it won't matter. Someone here has the quote A deal is only a deal when you are getting what you want or something like that. I believe in those words so no matter what the appraiser says and no matter the refund is this a ring you want and will wear and enjoy?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
missy|1322610083|3071176 said:
I think the most important thing is can you see yourself loving this diamond when you reset it in the future? Because if it is too warm for you no matter the price it won't matter. Someone here has the quote A deal is only a deal when you are getting what you want or something like that. I believe in those words so no matter what the appraiser says and no matter the refund is this a ring you want and will wear and enjoy?
Bow down to the wise woman! :) I think I know inside my heart that the diamond is not for me, but I'm trying to come up with reasons to keep it (my brain fighting back). Right now, you ladies are basically confirming for me that I need to go with my gut and rather than thinking about "getting the best bang for the buck".

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I totally agree. If it doesn't sing to you, then it doesn't make sense to keep it. If it's just that you're unsure about the color being what it was sold to you as, that's another story. I think making the stone appear whiter would depend on the metal you use to reset the stone. Bottom line is that I wouldn't talk yourself into this stone. You paid too much not to love it (now, if you'd paid $500 for it, there's no way I'd return it, lol!).

Ari told me that they saw that "our" ring was the Jewel of the Week. I wonder what he thought of it with my grandmother's band. ;-)

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Alright, the visit to the jeweler (who is a diamond cutter) confirmed my thoughts that I should return the ring. He estimates that it's probably a L-M color. Now, I have to take it with a grain of salt since he also sells diamonds, but I have no reason not to trust him since I could easily see that it is indeed warmer than my J diamonds.

Anyhow, now I'm giving up on the whole "find a deal on eBay/ruby lane" idea. It's too much hassle sending these parcels back and forth, and with my picky eyes, it seems that I'll never be happy so I'm constantly sending things back. Urgh......

Thanks for your advice ladies!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Just a word to say that D, E, F are extremely rare in OEC. Don't forget before you take your decision!

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
stci|1322626765|3071375 said:
Just a word to say that D, E, F are extremely rare in OEC. Don't forget before you take your decision!
Yup! I'm totally aware of that, and I'm actually really into H-I-J diamonds :) I am NOT color sensitive at all, except once it gets into the K-L-M range, hehehe. I actually sold my F center stone and upgraded to an I (and of course, my studs are J's, which I love).

I mailed back the ring today, hope I get a quick refund :)

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you returned it. Even if he would have given you $500 back it is still more warmth than you originally wanted. Then if you are like me you would have thrown money at it in the way of a great setting to compensate and it still isn't what you want. Ya know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results