shape
carat
color
clarity

What to compromise?? colour or carat?

nelly81

Rough_Rock
What to compromise??

Assuming clarity and cut comparisons are the same (and the price is the same), Is it worth to compromise colour from a G to a H for a slightly larger stone?

If looking at a G 1.5 (7.40 * 7.44 * 7.58) H&A versus a

H 1.70 (7.64 * 7.67 * 4.74)

Is this size difference even noticeable? What about once in a setting?

Probably a completely dumb question to experts!! Apologies upfront!

Thanks!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would pick the larger H color stone. Size difference is more noticeable than color difference in this case. Besides, I am OK with G or H, and they look too close to me to differentiate without putting them side by side and squinting my eyes to try hard to look for any color difference.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as they have the same cut I would go for the H. You can notice a size difference even once it's set but they are so close in color I doubt you can tell them apart.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
not to thread jack, but i have been having the SAME dilemma between a 1.7 carat H and a 2 carat I. we ultimately decided (I ultimately decided :saint: ) to go with the bigger I...I haven't seen it yet (it is still being set), and we have 2 weeks to change our minds and switch the stone out after we get it, and I have been toying with the idea of switching it to a 1.7 ish H if it is too tinted. So I can't be of too much help to the OP yet - but would the advice of bigger H v. smaller G still hold true for I v. H, or is I approaching/surpassing the limit of too tinted?

FWIW, I have seen NON ideal (but GIA ex - over 5 on the HCA) 1.7-2 ct I's, and even though they face up a different type of white than D-F (I was comparing it to a larger F), I rather liked the slightly less icy hue of the I.

OP: assuming that 1.5 G/1.7H/2 I are all around the same price range, I would definitely at least do the H (if not an even bigger I :D )...unless you are considering a halo - I am new to pricescope but I think I read somewhere that if you are getting a halo to try to stick to G or higher so that the melee/pave match the center stone...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also go with the larger H.

cereal_diamond

Rough_Rock
clarity and cut comparisons being the same I'd take the H but that's as far as I'd be willing to go :razz: , G/H vry vry faint difference.... unless ure hyper color sensitive... ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results