shape
carat
color
clarity

What to check when stones been set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

damo

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''ll be collecting a ring soon, the stone has just been set. I want to examine it with a loupe when I get it to check its ok.
Just wondered what I should look for to make sure its been set properly without any damage?
Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You'll want to look for any chipped areas near or under the prongs.

They often look splintery, sometimes whitish, sometimes with a slight stairstep cleavage effect. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not.

An experienced professional can see the area under the prongs by examining the girdle reflection on the opposite side.

lucy

Rough_Rock
how easy will these scratches be to see if you ask to see it under their microscope before you leave assuming you are not an expert? should you look at it sideways?

lucy

Rough_Rock
chips, i mean, not scratches

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The majority of times you can spot a chip or cleavage by careful observation under a microscope. Examine it from top, bottom and the side.

The ones that are tough to see are small ones contained in the area under the prong. These are picked up by examining the reflections on the opposite side of the diamond. If you're not used to looking at diamonds internally, it's pretty tricky.

If you're looking for total peace of mind, it might not be a bad idea to take the diamond straight from the setter to an independent gemologist appraiser. That way, if there's a problem, you can resolve it right away. If you wait, the jeweler could always say the diamond was fine when it left his store, and must have gotten chipped after being worn.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results