shape
carat
color
clarity

What the Hell's going on with the Octavia?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's only one left at GOG.
Are there plans to cut more or just let the brand die?

Why haven't thousands been sold by now?
Karl, did you sign something that prevents you from marketing them outside GOG?
If so, when does that contract end?
Or are you selling tons at outlets we don't hear bout on PS?
Why didn't I see any at Vegas a couple months ago?
Karl have you carried one into Harry Winston, VCA, Tiffany, Cartier, Graff?

What are you waiting for?
When the right pair of eyeballs see your Octavia, you are going to be RICH!
I think it's the best diamond cut ever.

HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO !!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1313215578|2989887 said:

Octavias are awesome!! I second this...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1313227353|2989912 said:

Octavias are awesome!! I second this...

I third this!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
More 1-1.25 are being planned right now.
Rough availability and rough price is why more haven't been cut.
Sadly it took the recent polished price jumps to make it so we could buy the rough for them for less than the polished price.

Both Yoram and I have showed them around, the reaction in the trade we get is that while neat they are too different and out of the mainstream.

I am already pushing the rules to the limit but will say...
I am extremely happy with the way GOG has presented our product.
We are open to talking with other dealers who wish to carry them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl.
I didn't mean to disparage GOG in any way.
Sorry if it came across that way - I often put my foot in my mouth.

It's just that . . . well . . . people go GAGA over our Octavia, especially people in the industry, and I just can't wrap my head around anyone saying it's not mainstream enough.
BTW, I consider "mainstream" to be anything but a compliment, but people vary.
They should be fighting over who gets to carry it.

Take heart.
Van Gogh's work was ahead of its time too.
Just make sure you have an airtight patent and a good will, young man!

foot in mouth.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kenny it's funny you write this. Just the other day, before you even posted this I wrote Yoram expressing my *need* for Octavia inventory. I've been requesting 2ct+ sizes for quite a while now and really need to fill holes all over the place. The price and availability of rough comes to play here but believe me when I tell you I feel your pain.

Also, while the optical design radically departs from the traditional step cut asscher, I am no less enthusiastic about this diamond than I am any of the other incredibly cut diamonds for optics. Before you even posted, the request has been in for more inventory my friend.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator to remove a deleted quote**

If I may ask . . . when you show it to clients do any say it's not mainstream enough?
What kind of client does it appeal to?
I realize most engagement diamonds are round.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a step-cut shopper, and someone with pretty "mainstream" tastes, I LOVED the Octavia but couldn't get over its small face-up size. I went with an emerald instead. Just one anecdote for you, Kenny.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1313250246|2990028 said:
Rhino|1313249664|2990017 said:
**edited by moderator**

Thanks Rhino. :wavey:

If I may ask . . . when you show it to clients do any say it's not mainstream enough?

I'd love to hear about this too!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1313250508|2990034 said:
As a step-cut shopper, and someone with pretty "mainstream" tastes, I LOVED the Octavia but couldn't get over its small face-up size. I went with an emerald instead. Just one anecdote for you, Kenny.

Thanks, MissStepcut.
While they do face up smaller than some other cuts I think Karl once wrote that the Octavia faces up the same as a well cut generic Asscher of the same weight.

I find that a good asscher and particularly the Octavia, with its high crown, gives a MUCH more substantial light show when seen from side view and other angles.
IMHO the cuts that are more shallow and look larger for their weight don't have as much going on in in their off-axis views.
Off-axis is the way we most often see our diamonds when we look at them.

Remember those yearly flat screen projection TV screens years ago, which you had to sit right in front of?
Today's screens look just as good from an angle.
This is kind of like what the Octavia does.
You get more enjoyment in real life if it performs well at more angles.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1313250246|2990028 said:
Rhino|1313249664|2990017 said:
**edited by moderator**

Thanks Rhino. :wavey:

My pleasure man.

No.

All kinds. Whenever I give a presentation in the store we'll show the client squares that will meet their call. That includes Octavia when I have inventory that meets that criteria. In the coming months there are certain shapes we will be focusing more on having in stock and Octavia is one it will center around and as noted, really needed. I know 1-1.2xct are being cut but I am also looking for 1.5-2ct+ and we're hunting down even an I/J VS-SI 3ct for a client.

Yep with princess and cushion in dead heat for #2 although we seem to sell more cushions.

I have a few programs in que as well which will be centered around helping newbies, who, all they know is their lady wants a square diamond and we will be doing a basic introduction to square diamonds cut for light performance in which the Octavia will be one of the featured diamonds. We'll be doing a new one on this as well with rounds. Our last did not include our latest round and lastly a general program on A Consumer's Guide to Purchasing a Diamond Online which introduces the consumer to the various business models posed on the web and the pros/cons of each.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1313250669|2990037 said:

Thanks, MissStepcut.
While they do face up smaller than some other cuts I think Karl once wrote that the Octavia faces up the same as a well cut generic Asscher of the same weight.

I find that a good asscher and particularly the Octavia, with its high crown, gives a MUCH more substantial light show when seen from side view and other angles.
IMHO the cuts that are more shallow and look larger for their weight don't have as much going on in in their off-axis views.

Remember those yearly flat screen projection TV screens years ago?
This is what the Octavia does.

Totally. I'd also have to say that even an Asscher with the highest optics you can find (ie. like your 2ct Kenny) still does not begin to approach what an Octavia can *do* in terms of sheer brightness, fire and sparkle. Would you agree?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1313252994|2990072 said:

Thanks, MissStepcut.

Remember those yearly flat screen projection TV screens years ago?
This is what the Octavia does.

Totally. I'd also have to say that even an Asscher with the highest optics you can find (ie. like your 2ct Kenny) still does not begin to approach what an Octavia can *do* in terms of sheer brightness, fire and sparkle. Would you agree?

YES!
ABSOLUTELY!

For you new guys, a few years ago Rhino at Good Old Gold sold me a superbly-cut 2.26 ct asscher, below left.
Later he sold me a 1.34 ct Ocatavia Asscher, below right.

Even though I LOVE the conventional asscher the Octavia, even being almost a carat smaller, outblings its big brother in every lighting environment by a landslide.
I can only imagine what a 2.26 ct Octavia would do. :-o :-o :-o

It is precisely because I've lived with these two diamonds for a couple years now that I can't understand why I don't see 5 Octavias in every grocery store I visit.

00qqqq.png

0aaa.png

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Remember those yearly flat screen projection TV screens years ago, which you had to sit right in front of?

Exactly..., what I have been calling for years the "sculpture effect"..., unfortunately an optical property most cutters dont even take into account as one more IMPORTANT part of the beauty puzzle.
Superb picures Kenny, they actualy show the reflective potential of the "sculpture" effect. :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, how they heck did you get that rainbow of colors in those stones? Were they reflecting a piece of colorful artwork? Your pictures are fantastic. I really wish I could take pictures like these. What camera and set up do you use to take pictures?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1313256703|2990103 said:
Kenny, how they heck did you get that rainbow of colors in those stones? Were they reflecting a piece of colorful artwork? Your pictures are fantastic. I really wish I could take pictures like these. What camera and set up do you use to take pictures?

He is such an amazing photographer!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling, your check's in the mail. :bigsmile:

The colors are not the result of dispersion. (the diamond breaking up white light into its rainbow of colors)
As pregcurious guessed they are colors in the environment and the diamonds are just reflecting.
I posted this before but ...

The camera was behind the hole in the cardboard.
Actually it is watercolor paper stapled to the back of a plastic Garage Sale sign.
The lights are pointing at the cardboard to brighten up the watercolor pattern painted on it. (Please copy this and have fun experimenting)
With close up photography you can never have too much light.

The two cheapo CFL bulb lights in $5 Home Depot reflectors are far enough off axis so no light was shining directly into the lens, which would have polluted the deep blacks in the picture with gray fog.
The camera was a Nikon D200 with a 30-year old Nikkor macro lens and maybe an extension ring or two - but you don't need a fancy camera, just a fancy brain. :mrgreen:

111111111.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kenny!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! Step cuts are really amazing!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is a great angle pic Kenny - gets the point across perfectly!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were young and just getting my ring I would pick the Octavia hands down! That said, I DO hope to own one some day!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiaGem|1313254788|2990085 said:

Exactly..., what I have been calling for years the "sculpture effect"..., unfortunately an optical property most cutters dont even take into account as one more IMPORTANT part of the beauty puzzle.
Superb picures Kenny, they actualy show the reflective potential of the "sculpture" effect. :appl:
One of the reasons I love my diamond so much. I think the focus on the static face view is too limited!

I was also wondering why there were not as many octavias... I don't own a regular asscher or an octavia, but hands down I love the Octavia more. That's why I LOVE when kenny posts pictures of his!!!!

In fact, kenny, perhaps you should go on an Octavia campaign and plaster your gorgeous images all over so people know what they are missing out on :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results