shape
carat
color
clarity

What temp do you set your heat at?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
During the day and at night. I''m curious because I try to cut costs with heat but have been freezing lately no matter what temp we have it set at!

Normally, we''d do 68 degrees when people are home and 65 at night.

My parents on the other hand... 66 at the highest and 58 at night. No wonder I use to freeze to death as a child!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
We keep it at 74 and even that seems cold sometimes.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
In our old poorly insulated house we''d set it for 72 when home and 64 when away. Our new place is much more efficient. 64-67 is too hot if you''re up and moving around. I like it around 62 when I''m cleaning the house. It''s set at 60 when we''re away and 64 when we''re home.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
68 during the day. 64 at night.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
We are currently at long sleeve t-shirt, sweat pants, socks, and a sweatshirt...
3.gif

No heat for us yet. Our thermostat is currently on AUTO, has settled at 66, and the AC hasn't turned itself on in over a week! I'm actually scared to turn the heater on, because we haven't used it in the 2.5 years we have lived here, and I'm pretty sure the smell will set off our fire alarms.

ETA: OMG! I am reading you all's posts, and realizing that I am a horrible wife. I refuse to let DH turn our AC below 72 at night because it will keep the AC on all thru the night and I freeze... not to mention the electricity bill.
29.gif
I agreed that it could switch over from 75 to 72 at 9 o'clock each night, so that our place cools off by the time we get into bed.

What do you all wear when your houses are set in the low 60's?!?!?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We do 64 degrees whether we're home or not; sleeping or awake. We actually had this as our minimum for years because I had gerbils and they're desert animals that don't tolerate cold well. Now that the gerbils are gone we just have a bunny and he would be ok down to 50 degrees, so we might turn the heat down a bit at night since we can get away with it. I'm home all day and 64 is about as cold as I can handle, so I won't let DH turn it any lower than that unless we're sleeping.

ETA: Different houses seem to be different temps, even if you set the heat at the same temp. MIL sets her heat at the same temp we do, but I'm far more comfortable in her house without having to bundle up and wear two pairs of socks. So just because it says 65 on the thermostat doesn't mean that's what it actually is I guess.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
68 in winter and 76 (I think) in summer. When we were little, mom kept it at like, 62 during the day in the winter at 58 (56?)I think at night. Whatever the number, is was coooold. I used to wear stretchy gloves and a stocking hat to bed. Mom doesn''t believe me. I also wore socks and my bootie slippers to bed. brrrr!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
We *just* set ours - 60 during the day when nobody''s home, and 65 at night. The house was getting down to 52, and I just can''t handle it. I was honestly going around in slippers, sweatpants, a shirt, a sweatshirt and a Snuggie, and I would carry the space heater with me from room to room. We''re just too cheap to set the heat very high. But we''re paying SO much less in rent now that hopefully it won''t be too bad on the wallet.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
My gosh how do you all stand it? I''d freeze, but I''m pretty sure I''m blue blooded.
41.gif
I thought FI was crazy setting the temp at 68 at his place but I guess that''s more the norm.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 5:13:47 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Mine is set about 65 right now.. though.. I''m thinking about kicking it up for a bit today ;-)
I''m going to have to crank mine up before picking my kids up and taking them to swim class. Maybe it was mean of me to sign them up for lessons during the winter, but they have to do something and neither wanted to do basketball so they''ll have to freeze their little buns off when we walk from the pool to the car! lol (They do love the classes . . .and I love that they''re clean after class. . .unlike during soccer season. . .)

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
bahahahah! I wish, we have our AIR on..set at 78. I think it is supposed to be 83-84 tomorrow.
7.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
During the day mine is normally around 67-68. My husband wakes up at 4 am and sets the thermostat to 69 and then I turn it down a few degrees when I get up. He''s quitting his job so decided not to get up until 7 this morning and the house was an ice cube (and as noted in that other post of mine, I was FREEZING), I didn''t turn the heat up. I HATE being cold. Maybe I should go sit in my car. lol

Oh, and my mom was VERY cheap about heat. After my dad died, she became fanatical about NEVER having the heat on. In our house we could *see our breathe*!!! One time, a good friend of mine came over to spend the night (this was when we were around 16) and she asked to go home because she was too cold. Imagine THAT! My mom wouldn''t even turn the heat up when we had company.
7.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
We set ours to 60 during the day. If I''m working at home, I just use the space heater in my office rather than heating the whole house. During the time that we''re at home, it''s set to 65 and it''s at 62 at night. DH is hot natured, so we keep things a little cooler and I layer up.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Our AC is set at 72 since we like to keep the house cool lol. I don''t mess with the heat anymore. I almost caught my first apartment on fire turning on the heater. In my defense, no one told me that you are supposed to change the air filter
17.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We usually have ours set to 70-72. Sometimes that feels too cold to me (but I''m always cold), but we don''t want to run it too high.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Our heating costs are calculated by sq footage so I tend to keep mine at 70-ish during the day and 75 at night. It''s been freezing lately in Chicago! At home, our house is much more insulated so we rarely turn the heat on, even in the dead of winter when it''s in the minus degrees outside - only on the super cold days do we turn it on.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
68 during the day and 65 at night

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, my mom used to have a "game" she played..she would hold out as long as she could to turn the furnace on, trying to go to like, Thanksgiving, and um..hello it''s 32 outside at night by then. The AC she would wait until 4th of July. None of it ever bothered her-if we complained we were too hot (cuz you know, 100 outside and 90% humidity is kinda sauna-ish) she''d shrug and say, go play in the basement. If we were chattering our teeth (and exhaling to see our breath!) she''d tell us to go wrap up in a blanket. I''m not quite so hard core about my heating and cooling issues.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It''s 68 in our house year round. When the heat is on, we set it to go down to 66 at night.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
68 for a few hours in the am and when we get home from work.
61 during work hours.
the other day i was freezing so i cranked it up to 74 for a couple hours
9.gif
it was toasty

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
68 during the day and 64 at night. If I''m in a house that''s in the 70''s (even the low 70''s) I''m sweating and so uncomfortably hot. I guess it depends on what you''re used to...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I change it all the time. My thermostat is pretty old so it''s not very exact and of course there''s no timer. We have radiators and they warm the place up in no time so it seems like setting it to a certain temperature usually results in the house being several degrees higher than what the temperature is set at!

Usually I set it to around 66-68 or so if I''m up and about cleaning or doing something. If I''m laying around or just feeling cold I''ll put it to 70 -72ish. I turn it down to 65-68ish at night because I like it to be a bit cooler so I can use my warm blankets. Yesterday my husband was cold so he cranked it to 72-74ish and it was SWELTERING when we got back from running errands. We were both about to break a sweat!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 5:42:25 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
We usually have ours set to 70-72. Sometimes that feels too cold to me (but I''m always cold), but we don''t want to run it too high.

Exactly the same for me, I can sleep in a sweatshirt, pants and socks with 3 blankets on and be a snuggly bug, DH on the other hand claims his *you know whats* stick to his leg...I constantly switch the heat up on him because I FREEZE!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
72 while we''re here, 68 at night, and 65 while we''re gone at work.

I only know that b/c I just set the thermostat.
3.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We set ours in the low 60''s during the day, though I think the dogs would prefer it in the 30''s. I''d set it lower, but we have old radiators in our house and it takes at least an hour for the house to warm up to 68. I usually cook as soon as I get home--any excuse to stand over some heat!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
we keep ours at 71 during the day and back to about 67 at night. I''m home with a toddler all day and just hate being cold.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH and I both hate being cold (yay for compatibility!), so we set ours at 69 and then use space heaters in our room and the baby''s room to make those rooms a little toastier at night. During the summer we set our A/C downstairs around 76 and upstairs around 74. I guess we''re both pretty spoiled and don''t like fluctuations in temperature too much!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours is set at 58 at night, 66 during the daytime when only the furbabies are home, and 68 when we''re home in the evening.

72-76 degrees..........

long story.

I''m MUCH happier with 66.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Mine''s set to 70 if I have to have the heat on, but I''m in FL and I just have the windows open at night since it''s been pretty nice (temp wise) around here. If I need to cool down the apartment, then I have it set at 76.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results