shape
carat
color
clarity

What stone would you use?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking of getting a Van Craeynest-esque setting but I'm stumped as to what stone to use. Here are a few of the contenders:

The black opal. It's pretty flat though so I'm not sure how that would work.
kiz-opals4.jpg

Zambian amethyst
kiz-amethyst1.jpg

Chrysoberyl
kiz-og-chrysoberyl3.jpg

Aquamarine
kiz-aqua.jpg

Pink tourmaline.
kiz-pinktourm.jpg

I have a tanga garnet in the same shape as the pink tourmaline above but don't seem to have a picture of it on PS. It's almost an exact color match for the rounds.
kiz-pinkopals2.jpg

And another pink tourmaline
kiz-pktourm7.jpg

I should be able to pick up this light yellow diamond (about .95ct) tomorrow but I don't know yet how good it'll look in person.
492212725_tp.jpg

Here's some examples of his work.

kiz-ring8.jpg

kiz-ringa.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet - can you be a bit more specific about what you want to do with the stone i.e. bezel, raised, etc etc. The reason I ask is that some of the stones I wouldn't bezel and although I adore you flat black opal (and would use that if I had the choice) it very much depends on the setting.

You've got so many options for stones that I think if you decided exactly on the design you wanted, the stone might fall out of that (if that makes sense) and not literally!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1312570946|2984957 said:
Kismet - can you be a bit more specific about what you want to do with the stone i.e. bezel, raised, etc etc. The reason I ask is that some of the stones I wouldn't bezel and although I adore you flat black opal (and would use that if I had the choice) it very much depends on the setting.

You've got so many options for stones that I think if you decided exactly on the design you wanted, the stone might fall out of that (if that makes sense) and not literally!!!

Hah, I don't know what I want to do yet. I just heard back from the artist that he would use one of my stones so I haven't spoken with him about design yet. I wanted to narrow down the choices a bit first so I don't overwhelm him.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okey dokey - sooooooo what you want to know is which stone would we chose to use (irrespective of design) ie just pick our favourite stone?

If so, then this would be my order of preference:

1/2 Black opal or Chrysoberyl (very little between the two and not necesssary in this order)
3 Aqua (what a gorgeous colour)
4 Pale yellow diamond (if you get it and it's nice)
5 Pink tourmaline would depend on the setting
6 Zambian Amethyst because it's quite dark. It would worry me how dark it would be once set.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
What lovely work this artisan does!

If it were up to me, I'd set the aquamarine. That is a seriously beautiful stone, Kismet.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this project!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your question is very open ended ;you have seemingless endless options. The stone you end up selecting, in a way, will dictate the design. Furthermore, VC inspired designs run the gamut of slightly different styles meaning any and all of the stones can be wonderfully showcased.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely lot to choose from! I also am leaning towards the aqua (does it have its own thread? I'd love to gaze at more pics) and look forward to seeing this project unfold.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a wonderful collection of gems. I always look forward to your projects because your pieces/designs are always Very Pretty, unique, sharp, and innovative!!! I'd chose the diamond if you like it IRL then that ocean blue aqua.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1312573217|2984978 said:
Your question is very open ended ;you have seemingless endless options. The stone you end up selecting, in a way, will dictate the design. Furthermore, VC inspired designs run the gamut of slightly different styles meaning any and all of the stones can be wonderfully showcased.

Yes I know it's an open ended question. I was just wondering if there was a preferred stone (or one that would be ruled out totally) for a VC-esque style ring. For example, I put the chrysoberyl in the line up because it's a good size/shape but the stone itself seems to cry out for a more modern/retro design (or at least to me it does).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1312573399|2984980 said:
What a lovely lot to choose from! I also am leaning towards the aqua (does it have its own thread? I'd love to gaze at more pics) and look forward to seeing this project unfold.

Nope the aqua doesn't have it's own. It's been sitting in my gem box for a good 4-5 years at least.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I vote either the aqua or the yellow diamond.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yellow diamond if you're going to wear it everyday. Black opal if you will wear it on occasion. This partly based on durability, and the fact that both of these stones are somewhat neutral colored and can be worn with a lot of things.

I also think the yellow diamond would look best in a yellow bezel with the rest of the ring in a white metal, if you are trying to bring out the yellow. It would also look good in all YG, but I think the lack of contrast will not highlight the stone as much.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would set either the aqua or chrysoberyl in a bezel.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1312596068|2985206 said:
I would set either the aqua or chrysoberyl in a bezel.

+1

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
With his unique & fab design settings, I'd pick either the square Pink Tourmaline or the Opal (right one)

im not sure about the aquamarine :(sad (looks like a treated blue topaz for me)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine. I do not have much experience with opals. Aqua looks great, is well-cut and should look great in his ring.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Here's a few pictures of all of them together so you can get an idea of size. I took this first one yesterday when it was nice and sunny but I forgot the aquamarine.

And here's all of them when it's pouring down rain and dark as anything out. The round garnet isn't the black hole my photography would lead you to believe it is.

And with flash.

kiz-sfstones1.jpg

kiz-sfstones4.jpg

kiz-sfstones5.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would immediately cross out the amethyst, the tanga and the rhodolite (in this sequence). The new yellow diamond looks great but bezeled diamonds usually lose some sparkle. I'd still opt for the aquamarine. Opals look well when bezeled, but I am not an opal lady so my opinion on them costs nothing. And the aqua is stunning and well worthy of an opulent setting!

Merelda

Rough_Rock
It's so hard to pick just one! The black opal gets my vote though, it would make a beautiful, unique piece in the right setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I'd set the aquamarine. It has good colour and seems to fit in with an antique inspired design (scroll work, art deco and the like).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The aqua and chyrys just don't speak to me in that type of setting. I would do the black opal or the Zambian amethyst.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
After a lot of thought, I ended up deciding on the black opal. We had a long talk about his process and it's going to be somewhat different than what I've done before. You first have to ask to be added to his schedule (he teaches and travels to various shows so I don't think creating custom pieces is his main focus) and he gives you some finish dates to choose from (mine is Sept 30). 2 weeks before your finish date you send him the stone and details about what you want and don't want. He makes no drawings but he also asks for no deposit. In fact, you don't pay for anything until you get the finished product and approve of it. If you don't approve of it, you send the piece back, he removes and returns the stone and he keeps the setting figuring he can cut another stone to fit and sell it anyhow.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool that you are going with the opal-I was just going to vote for it! As with all of your other jewelry, this sounds like it will be one unique piece. Can't wait to see finished piece!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I can't wait to see your black opal set.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't help but post a few more of his pieces. I just love the thistle bracelet, so unique. I think the briar rose brooch is just so neat and a great use of materials. The opal brooch is leading the charge for my main inspiration piece for my ring project.

kiz-sfbracelet1.jpg

kiz-sfbrooch7.jpg

kiz-sfbrooch11.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results