shape
carat
color
clarity

What sort of cut does this look like?

susief

Shiny_Rock
I saw this ring in a secondhand shop at a good price. They don't have any details about it other than it's a 0.79ct diamond set in platinum. I really love the way it looks in real life. It has a good return policy and I would have it appraised during the return period if I bought it, but would be interested in getting thoughts on whether it is worth this outlay. Does it look like an old cut or an MRB? Is there anything really obviously wrong with it? Thanks in advance!

__81.jpg

__3__1_1.jpg

__3__2_0.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There looks to be some visible inclusions, unless the ring/diamond is really filthy.

As it is bezel-set and thus it is unlikely the stone was removed to be weighed, how does vendor know the carat weight? If he calculated based on dimensions, perhaps you could provide the diameter and depth numbers in this thread - more info is always helpful.

From the pics, it looks like there is an open culet and with the larger table, perhaps it is an early modern round brilliant? Just a guess though.

If there is a good return policy and you like what you see, and you'll have an appraiser check it out, why not just purchase it and get the professional's opinion?

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I can't see the girdle but it looks like an old euro to me. It doesn't appear to be a transition or MRB. I don't think it's an early round because it'd have more of a flower pattern. But it's hard to tell from a few pics and because it's bezeled.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Marymm and RockBrat, I appreciate the input.

Marymm, good point, it's just I have to travel quite a distance to the nearest appraiser and it is logistically difficult with my working hours (as well as expensive!), so I wanted the view of a more experienced eye than mine. Eg your comment about inclusions has definitely made me reconsider. I struggle to tell what is inclusions and what is just shadows and reflection. I have better than 20/20 vision so not sure why this is! Re the 0.79ct, it's because it's engraved in the ring with the hallmarking.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a flat top tranny to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results