shape
carat
color
clarity

What size stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I am currently having a conversation with my boyfriend about e-rings. Do you think a RB between .80 and .90 will be large enough for a size 5.5 finger? I really want a full carat but I heard that as long as the quality is top notch then the difference between a full carat and a stone between a .80 and .90 can be hard to tell. What are your opinions.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 12:26:42 AM
Author:Class n Sass
I am currently having a conversation with my boyfriend about e-rings. Do you think a RB between .80 and .90 will be large enough for a size 5.5 finger? I really want a full carat but I heard that as long as the quality is top notch then the difference between a full carat and a stone between a .80 and .90 can be hard to tell. What are your opinions.
There are people out there sporting 1/2 carat or 1/4 carat or smaller diamonds out there on much larger fingers.... of COURSE it''s going to be large enough! The size thing has much more to do with your head than your finger. If you get the best quality cut in the clarity and color you are content with that fits into your budget, then it will be the perfect stone for your finger no matter what size it is :)

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted someone else''s input. Do you know if there are any "rules" about color differences between the center stone and the side stones in the setting. For example if the center stone is an F color do the side stones on the setting need to be an F or can they drop to say a G color?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A .8-.9 stone on a 5.5 hand will be lovely. An F next to a G will probably be an unoticable differance to the human eye.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 12:35:50 AM
Author: Class n Sass
Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted someone else''s input. Do you know if there are any ''rules'' about color differences between the center stone and the side stones in the setting. For example if the center stone is an F color do the side stones on the setting need to be an F or can they drop to say a G color?
well, they always say to match them, and then they also say a color or two dif doesn''t matter.... but here''s my thoughts on it since you asked hehe - it''s better to go down in melee color from your e-ring than vice versa. H/I melee on a D/E stone you''d probably not be able to tell - they''re so small and they face up SO WHITE!! But D colored melee on an I stone you might be able to see it.... melee in general faces so white.... no worries on the color of melee IMO. Unless you have a strong J color like me in a cut that shows everything and you *want* like M melee just so it matches lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2007 12:35:50 AM
Author: Class n Sass
Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted someone else''s input. Do you know if there are any ''rules'' about color differences between the center stone and the side stones in the setting. For example if the center stone is an F color do the side stones on the setting need to be an F or can they drop to say a G color?
A well cut .80 diamond will look almost as large as a not so well cut full carater and will be far more beautiful! Dropping to a G for side stones is perfectly fine!

Welcome by the way!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If you want a full carat you could definitely consider going down in color to H,I or even J.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I couldn''t tell the difference between a .8 and a 1.0, sometimes even if there are two rings next to each other because setting makes a huge difference in size appearance as far as I''m concerned. There''s nothing magical about a carat and the only reason to get one vs. a .8-.9 is because you need that size for comfort of mind. If it''s sparkly and beautiful, people are going to notice no matter what the size.

G will go great with F. I''d rather have a .8 F than dropping the color down to J or even I and getting a 1.0. Knowing I''m wearing a J stone would drive me bonkers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d drop to an H to get the largest size within the budget. Then you could go with H or I sidestones.

Nurseynurse

Rough_Rock
I have a size 5.25 finger and my RB is .90 carats E VVS1. I was worried at first because I wanted at least 1 carat, but the diamond we bought from a family jeweler was cut REALLY well. People always think it''s over 1 carat. One of my firends even asked me if it was close to 2 carats...she looked really surprise when I told her it''s not even 1 carat
1.gif
. Oh, and I agree that the right setting adds an extra oomph to the stone
2.gif

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad to hear someone that was thinking along the same lines as I am. I do agree that wanting a full carat is more of a mind thing. But it''s good to hear that your .90RB still gives the appearance of being large in size due to the quality of it.

tuanle55

Rough_Rock
Plan a budget and see what you can get in that range. You should compare a well cut 0.8+ and a well cut 1.0+carat. See if you can tell the difference. It doesn''t sound right with the above saying if you compare a 0.8 well cut proportional to a 1c that is out of proportion that its look just as large. It may make you feel better that your 0.8 is better b/c you are a PS shopper then a badly cut 1c, but to me that doesn''t sound like a logical reasoning. Compare apples to apples. :)

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I have an I stone with G colored sidestones -- I can''t see any difference.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I have size 5 finger and I just upgraded my ring from 0.82 ct H VS2 to 1.20 H SI2.. and you can definetly see a size differece there... Before the upgrade, I compared my 0.82 ct to my friend''s 1.02 ct D.. and I was able to see the size difference, but not color difference... I think a 0.8 ~ 0.9 ct diamond should look decent on you size 5.5 finger... as for the color, it''ll depends on sensitive your eyes are...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 1:02:34 PM
Author: grapegravity
I have size 5 finger and I just upgraded my ring from 0.82 ct H VS2 to 1.20 H SI2.. and you can definetly see a size differece there... Before the upgrade, I compared my 0.82 ct to my friend''s 1.02 ct D.. and I was able to see the size difference, but not color difference... I think a 0.8 ~ 0.9 ct diamond should look decent on you size 5.5 finger... as for the color, it''ll depends on sensitive your eyes are...
I think for color it is more of a mind sensitivity issue.... most who have ''lower'' colored stones do indeed see a difference, it either makes no difference to them or they prefer it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I wore a .81ct round solitaire for 10 years on my 5 1/4 size finger. I remember when I got it lots of people commented on how large it looked on me and I agreed! I think thats a very respectable size!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I think that can be a perfectly beautiful size. One of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen was on one of my students - it was probably 1/4 of a carat, MAYBE 1/3 of a carat, but boy did it sparkle. It was absolutely beautiful. Perfect for her. Bigger isn''t always better - sometimes it is just bigger!
2.gif

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
Nurseynurse....do you have any pics of your ring? Also do you have the center stone set in 4 prongs or 6 prongs?

nengland

Rough_Rock
I''m no expert, but I did just buy a .82 c RB and have it set for her. (shhh! she doesn''t know yet!) A couple months ago we went to a maul jewelery store just for fun. After trying a couple stones in shapes and sizes she announced that a 3/4 RB was the perfect size/shape combo for her. Moral of the story? Go have some fun at a store! She''s a size 6 ring and happy with a 3/4 stone.

To be honest though, sure it bothers me a bit that it''s under a carat. Don''t get me wrong, it''s a beautiful stone, but the "one carat" magical number definitely plays on me. It''s all in my head though and nothing to really be embarressed about.

You mentioned melee stones too... our .82 is a G with side stones promised to be in the F-G range. There''s sure to be some of each in there and it all looks fine to my untrained eye. It''s just a thought, but since you are worried about color uniformity it might be worth asking if the melee stones exhibit any fluorescence.

nengland

Rough_Rock
There''ve been some suggestions to maybe slide down the color scale a bit to achieve a larger stone. Assuming a yellow setting, what would be safe? Assuming a white setting...?

Just curious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results