shape
carat
color
clarity

What size side diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
i am setting a center stone 1.63 Ct J color. There will be two side stones, what weight and color would be preferred. What about G color side stones 20 points each?

headlight

Ideal_Rock

What is the shape of the center stone? What shape will be for the side stones?

I would strongly suggest you match the color of the side stones or the center will stick out like a sore thumb.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Round on all the stone. When you say the center will stick out like a sore thumb, do you mean face up on looking at it from the pavillion?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

I agree...I wouldn''t go down in color. I would usually go up or down by one grade...but I don''t know here... Going to a G will make the J look slightly more tinted or off-white...

In terms of size, I just posted a pic of a 2.13 (64depth) cushion and a .51 (depth65) cushion....they are next to eachother...rounds face up bigger...but it should give you an idea...(it''s the bottom of the baby cushion thread)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id say stick with the same color. Dont go more than one step up or down or it will be noticeably yellow.

Id also go with something more like half carat on each side, round or a 1/3 carat pear with the points facing outward from the center.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock

I have an "I" RB 1.12 Center stone and each side stone is .30 and also an "I" RB. All this in a generic 3 stone white gold truffle setting. I think matching the color to the center is a must, or you will see the difference, or at least I did.

So far as size, I wanted the sides to just provide an accent to the center stone. I''ve seen many 3 stones where the sides are nearly the same size as the center, so that really is personal preference. If I can figure out how to take a decent photo, I''ll upload a pic of it one day!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the centerstone being the focus, and the sides as accents. Some people like all three stones to be of similar size. Everyone is differnt. Go with what appeals to YOU. This is a custome simulant ring I have, the center is a 8mm stone ( a little less than 2 ct. diamond equivalent), and the sidestones are 5 mm stones (about a 0.5 ct. eqivalent each). Originally the designer used 4mm sides (about .25 ct equivalent), and I thought they were a little small, so we revised it. This ring will hopefully give you a rough visual.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Oops, didn''t know how to attach picture. Trying again:
vangraff.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 4:54:51 AM
Author: diamond island
Round on all the stone. When you say the center will stick out like a sore thumb, do you mean face up on looking at it from the pavillion?

When I made the "thumb" reference, I meant that if the side stones are of "whiter" color than the center stone, it will make the more tinted aspect of that center stone more prevalent. I have now overseen the creation of two three-stone rings custom made for myself and matching the color on all stones is really important. Even if one side stone is a little more "tinted", you will see it -- it just "screams out" at you.

And yes, I meant the viewing from "face up". Both of my three-stones were low basket settings and thus one really couldn't see anything from the side view. Even if you went "I" color for the sides, it would be better than "G", as "G" just falls outside of completely colorless whereas "J" is the top range of "slightly tinted".

Because I just have this "thirst" for three-stone rings (I want MORE!), I always stop by jewelry store windows and cases to admire them. I can't tell you how often I've seen it where they didn't match the side stones to the center (and usually the case is that they used more colorless stones for the sides) and it just looks, quite frankly, horrible and to me that is on par with shoddy workmanship. I don't know where this notion of making the side stones better color than the center originated from, but people should really abandon that thought process!

If the center is a 1.63ct round, your sides should be approx. .80ct each. My former three-stone was all rounds with a 1.51 center and a .70 & .72 for the sides and the proportions were fabulous (approx. 1/2 the size of the center -- assuming the stones are well cut, thus nothing too deep or too shallow). The sides were small enough to allow the center stone to stand out, but large enough to create that coveted DeBeers style (in fact, my ring looked exactly like the one they show on the DeBeers commercial). Personally, I am not a fan of using really small side stones, but that is just what is appealing to my eye and for someone else a different "formula" works better... there is no right or wrong, only what seems right and appealing and beautiful to the wearer's eye!

diamond island

Rough_Rock
The center stone will be a 8star 1.63 J color. Will this change your thoughts of the side stones being G or H since "they" say 8star face up a color grade or two whiter than other cuts because of the cut?

I am looking to set it in the tacori HT 2314 heres the link www.tacori.com it is under the panda style third one from the left.

Tacori style which my fiance likes generally use smaller stones in porportion to the center stone. She feels three stones of similar size or slightly only slightly smaller side stones to take away from the center stone.

The diamter of this 1.63 ct is 7.64mm - 7.70mm. Do you guys know what is the diamter of a .17 ct stone? or a .20 ct? Thank you all for your continued input!!! What would you recommend?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 2:50:50 PM
Author: diamond island

The center stone will be a 8star 1.63 J color. Will this change your thoughts of the side stones being G or H since ''they'' say 8star face up a color grade or two whiter than other cuts because of the cut?

I am looking to set it in the tacori HT 2314 heres the link www.tacori.com it is under the panda style third one from the left.

Tacori style which my fiance likes generally use smaller stones in porportion to the center stone. She feels three stones of similar size or slightly only slightly smaller side stones to take away from the center stone.

The diamter of this 1.63 ct is 7.64mm - 7.70mm. Do you guys know what is the diamter of a .17 ct stone? or a .20 ct? Thank you all for your continued input!!! What would you recommend?

The approx. mm for a .17 stone is 3.6, and for a .20 it is 3.8.

This is your girl''s call, but I would say that the size of the stones in that Tacori setting are way too small for her center diamond of 1.63. She needs to go into the jeweler and have him pull from his melee'' stock a .17 and a .20 so she can see it against her 1.63. You''ll notice I mentioned "melee", as that is what it is -- any stones of .20 or less. HONESTLY, I wouldn''t go smaller than half carats on each side.

As to the color issue and the Eightstar, etc., I have heard that Eightstar J''s face up VERY white for a J color. What you need to do is hand select your side stones. Your jeweler should bring in various stones (once she determines the size she likes with the 1.63 center) of differing color grades so you can make the best match. It really doesn''t matter what grade a stone is given -- it needs to be matched up by looking with your eye against the center stone. Whatever the "winners" are and their actual color grade doesn''t really matter. It is the color match that matters!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i love that marketing, 'it will face up two shades whiter'...what kind of extensive research was done to show that EVERY diamond will be two shades whiter than a 8*? pish !

an 8* is an exceptionally cut diamond, but so are other H&A stones, even unbranded, so if you have a J H&A which is essentially what an 8* is...you should stick with other I or J H&A stones. I wouldn't go G or H with a J stone...even a well cut one unless you can hand select in person and go with your eyes. ESP if the side stones are going to be larger...you can see color changes more as the stones are larger. if it was very small melee i wouldn't really think it'd be a huge deal...but actual visible stones...different.

if you are selecting virtually, go with I or J. I wouldn't go lower than an H&A I.

The whole facing up whiter thing is odd because that J was graded so for a reason, and yes grading is subjective, so it's hard to tell what 'facing up whiter' really means! Also make sure to select side stones that will compliment and not stand out against that center stone, that center stone is the star!

diamond island

Rough_Rock
what did you mean by I would chose I or J, are you referring to the side stones?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the original question was about side stones. in terms of color, if you have a J center stone, I would not go G or H for side stones unless you can choose by eye and not virtually. otherwise stick with well cut H&A of I or J color. i also agree with the others that .20c is too small for side stones next to a large center..unless you are looking for something very unobtrusive (but in which case why get side stones?), I would go with something like .35c or .40c sides and still giive the center stone the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results