shape
carat
color
clarity

What size ring?!?!

angel01x83

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any advice on selecting the right ring size? My boyfriend and I have had my finger sized so many times now I cant count, and everytime they tell us a different size. The consensus seems to be that I'm either a size 3.5, 3.75 or 4 , but I'm just confused and worried about getting the wrong size in a custom made ring. Maybe I just worry too much and the size difference is so small it wont matter.... but has anyone else had this problem? How tight/loose should your engagement ring be?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I had this problem as well when ring shopping. Kept being told I was a 6 or 5.5, but my friend whose family owns a jewelry store had me try a very narrow ring sizer at 5.25 and explained that as long as it doesn't feel tight on my finger, just tight over the knuckle, that would be my size and I'd be unlikely to lose my ring. Since I rarely take off my ring, the smaller size works, and the three rings I wear on that finger all fit great.

I think you need to know a few things:

1) how narrow/wide your actual ring(s) will be: 2mm? 2.5mm? 3mm?
2) try a sizer that's a similar width to your ring(s)--wider or not as wide as your ring will fit differently over the knuckle
3) decide if you want a looser feeling ring or a tighter feeling ring (and if your fingers ever swell and how that will feel)

My DH did get my e-ring in a 5.5 but it kept spinning around and bugged the heck out of me, so sent it back to Whiteflash to re-size. If you are REALLY not sure about your ring size or how you'll feel about it, make sure the ring can be sized (esp. if having an eternity diamond style shank, since those types of rings cannot be sized... or not without rebuilding the whole ring). If it's a plain solitaire or just has side stones or diamonds on 1/2 or 3/4 of the shank, should be okay to resize but confirm with the jeweler when ordering.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Ring fingers swell a little bit in the summer time. So if the last time you checked your size was a few months ago than that might account for the slight variance ?

angel01x83

Rough_Rock
Thats a good idea to find out the width of the ring and find a similar sizer.

Do most women like their ER to be tight? Do you get use to it? Right now I wear a ring on each middle finger, but they are very loose.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have a ring that fits? if so you could ask the jeweler to make it in the same size (or if you don't have one, order some cheap ones on amazon...I got one for $3)

angel01x83

Rough_Rock
Great idea! I'm gonna check out Amazon now! Thanks :)

angel01x83

Rough_Rock
I checked out Amazon and Ebay and surprisingly it is VERY HARD to find a size 3.75 ring!!!! I guess because its a 1/4 size. So I just purchased a ring sizer, but unfortuantely the rings only have full and half sizes.

Thanks for everyones help!

Sparkly1982

Rough_Rock
I would get it sized a min. Of 5 times...my friend has similar trouble. Good luck!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think how a ring fits is personal preference and the shape of the fingers. I have large knuckles, so once my rings pass the knuckles, they are very loose. I like the looser look vs a tighter fit because my fingers feel like they can "breathe", and don'
t get sticky after hand washing. I am able to get away with a looser fit because my knuckles keep the ring from falling off.

I have a friend with very tapered fingers. She has flung off her e-ring several times just due to a quick hand motion. She eventually had to size down her ring (to the point where it looks like it squishes the flesh, and has a sausagy appearance on the bottom) in order not to lose the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results