shape
carat
color
clarity

What size pearls for drop earring project?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a long-term project in the works, involving my diamond studs that I never wear (because for some reason, though I love diamonds, I''m a pearl studs girl, and the studs are ridiculously time-consuming to put on and take off - they have screwbacks). So I was thinking of sending them to Brian and Lesley and asking them to 1) reset the setting to get rid of the screwback; and 2) add pearls to create drop earrings (like Phoenix''s gorgeous drops but on a much smaller scale
3.gif
and with a longer drop). But I''m not sure which size to go for. I''m probably going to go for Freshadamas since my budget isn''t huge but I still want good quality. The diamonds are each 0.25 ct.

Thoughts on what size I should get for the pearls? Suggestions? Thank you!

Phoenix''s drops (I hope you don''t mind my posting your pic!)

SS%20Pearl%20Studs_6.JPG

Reactions: Ann

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
BEG, what size are your studs - in millimeters?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 8:36:22 PM
Author: cellentani
BEG, what size are your studs - in millimeters?

Hey Cellentani! They're 3.95 mm each

Have you considered having them removable? It might be neat to have a white pair in 7mm and 10mm and then a pink pair, lav pair, peach pair... tahitain pair
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

If not, I think with almost 4mm studs, 7 might be pretty, unless you love those large pearls, 9-10mm might be great too!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 9:33:28 PM
Author: swedish bean
Have you considered having them removable? It might be neat to have a white pair in 7mm and 10mm and then a pink pair, lav pair, peach pair... tahitain pair
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

If not, I think with almost 4mm studs, 7 might be pretty, unless you love those large pearls, 9-10mm might be great too!

That''s a really good idea! I''d love that - and would give me an excuse to buy more pearls - yay!

I''m thinking of maybe starting with a larger white pair - maybe 9 mm or so? What do you think? I''m wondering if that''ll be too big compared to the size of the studs.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I like the earring charm idea too - that''s what I did! I don''t have any 4mm studs, but here are my 8mm pearl charms with my daughter''s 3.5mm studs.

earrings for BEG2a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And here they are with my 4.9mm studs. I like bigger pearls, so I think you could do a 9mm - just make sure you''ve got good earring backs so they don''t pull the stud downward.

earrings for BEG1 resized.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not get PEARL studs and have the DIAMONDS set into "drops"? Then you''d have little sparkly moving diamonds underneath the pearl studs you like?

Or - if you want to add size to your diamonds you could bezel set them and add pearl drop thingies. Fun project!

Date: 10/11/2009 10:30:09 PM
Author: cellentani
I like the earring charm idea too - that''s what I did! I don''t have any 4mm studs, but here are my 8mm pearl charms with my daughter''s 3.5mm studs.

2.gif
I based that idea off of you anyways! So, it''s really your idea :D :D

I think both sizes look good.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Definitely have the pearl drops be removable - because of the versatility and also due to cleaning!

Diamond studs get so dirty, you just won''t ever be able to put them in the ultrasonic or clean them thoroughly ever again without damaging your delicate pearls... the nacre would just be eaten off by the chemicals.
6.gif

But the project sounds so much fun! I also love deco''s idea of having pearl studs with diamond dangles. Hubba hubba!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very honoured that you chose my diamond + pearl dangles to base your project on!

I echo others' ideas of having mulitple pearl studs as jackets to go with your diamomd studs. That way, you get multiple looks and seemingly numerous pairs of earings for less money than you otherwise would. I'm planning to have golden SS's and larger Tahitians, in addition to my white SS's, made into dangles to go with my fab BGD studs.

As for size, if I remember correctly, my white SS's are about 12-13mm and they go *perfectly* with my BGD studs (which if I again if I remember correctly are about 8.6mm in diameter). These white SS's look rather too large when paired up with my 1ct each studs (approx 6.4mm). So, for your 4mm diamond studs, I'd think pearls of approx 7mm would be prefect. IMHO, 9mm would be a tad too large. However, you could try experiment with different sizes and see which ones you'd like the best. Freshies are not terribly expensive, so you could have all kinds of fun!
1.gif

I LOVE the ideas of having peach, lavender, white and even black freshwater pearls to go with yr diamond studs! YAY!!
36.gif
30.gif

Reactions: Ann
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results