shape
carat
color
clarity

What size pearl earrings for a 12 year old?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
My niece just got her ears pierced and I am super excited to buy earrings for her. She is just shy of 12 years old and has larger ear lobes. I would love to give her pearl earrings for Christmas. What do you think of these (7.0-7.5mm akoya) earrings I found on Pearl Paradise? I'd love other recommendations as well. Thank you!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
So sweet! I think that’s a great starter size

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so sweet! ❤️

If I may - I might hold off for a few weeks, though. Her piercings will need a little time to heal, and it might turn out that she needs 18k or platinum/stainless findings rather than 14k gold. And I think once she’s healed and is able to change her earrings she’ll start to identify her preferences - and she might prefer tiny studs or huge studs!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My niece just got her ears pierced and I am super excited to buy earrings for her. She is just shy of 12 years old and has larger ear lobes. I would love to give her pearl earrings for Christmas. What do you think of these (7.0-7.5mm akoya) earrings I found on Pearl Paradise? I'd love other recommendations as well. Thank you!

the school girls i see here (customers who come into work for a doughnut on the way home from school) often wear big pearl (faux?) studs
like the '80's !
and im talking all sizes, all ages and all ethnicities of girls

makes my heart sing

just remember pearl shrinkage is a thing

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t go wrong with PP, and they have a sale on now!

FWIW I bought my then 14 year old niece their 6.5-7mm AAA akoya studs ($110), they are the perfect size on her and she has worn them a lot.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would suggest 7 to 7.5mm or even 8mm if her earlobes are big.

DK :))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that you want to buy her fine jewelry.
But.....
Am I the only one who thinks that $130 earrings are a bit much for a 12 year old?
Thinking back to my 12 year old self, I don't think I was very responsible at that age.
Unless you feel that she will take good care of them, of course.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd wait for the piercings to heal. The substances she uses to clean the piercings may not be so good for pearls.

Also, I'd aim a tad smaller-- maybe 6-6.5mm-- and get FWP for her first studs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i still have all the jewlery i wore as a kid and it was all given to me
mind you i didn't have peirced ears back then then and i know how easy it is to loose earings as its the stuff i buy myself i seem to loose

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

I think that's lovely. Very fancy and grown up! I would have been overjoyed to receive those as a tween with newly pierced ears.

ETA: I'd also be sure to explain to her how delicate pearls are. For ex, no perfume or hair product sprayed on near them, take off for showering, pool or beach, no jewelry cleaner, etc.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the replies! It's late here now, but I will reply in more detail tomorrow.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Just a little update here. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. I waited to make sure there were no metal allergies, and I also talked to my sister about my niece's style. In the end I bought 6.5-7mm freshwater pearl studs from WenPearls on Etsy. They arrived a few days ago and I just love them! They are beautiful pearl earrings - lovely luster and shape. I wrapped them before I could take pictures (bad Pricescoper!). However, I have just placed another order with WenPearls for larger sized (9.5-10.2mm) freshwater studs for myself :dance:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Just a little update here. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. I waited to make sure there were no metal allergies, and I also talked to my sister about my niece's style. In the end I bought 6.5-7mm freshwater pearl studs from WenPearls on Etsy. They arrived a few days ago and I just love them! They are beautiful pearl earrings - lovely luster and shape. I wrapped them before I could take pictures (bad Pricescoper!). However, I have just placed another order with WenPearls for larger sized (9.5-10.2mm) freshwater studs for myself :dance:

Lovely! I just did a post on a similar topic but for double piercings.

I was thinking 6mm for first & 4 for second? But I really don’t know…

How long did they take to arrive?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! I just did a post on a similar topic but for double piercings.

I was thinking 6mm for first & 4 for second? But I really don’t know…

How long did they take to arrive?

Hmm...I'm not sure about size for double piercings either! I would probably not do larger than 6 and 4, but I wonder if you might want to go smaller? Double pearls will be a very pretty look!

My pearls took 16 days to arrive.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...I'm not sure about size for double piercings either! I would probably not do larger than 6 and 4, but I wonder if you might want to go smaller? Double pearls will be a very pretty look!

My pearls took 16 days to arrive.

That is quicker than I thought!

They even do tiny ones. I sent them a message & hoping they reply. I am thinking o could get her a range of sizes as long as they match

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results