shape
carat
color
clarity

what size diamond earring studs for toddler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hem01

Rough_Rock
What size diamonds are appropriate for a toddler? How do you go about shopping for the settings? My baby girl is turning 2 soon. Tiffany''s told me they have specific earrings for babies and toddlers?

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I''d say 1/4 carat per ear...big enough so they won''t slip through the holes.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Why do toddlers need diamond studs?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
My worry would be if they came loose and were swallowed!!!

I assume that is what Tiffany mean - perhaps theirs are extra secure? Is there anything better than screw backs? I would be concerned about that before the ct weight.

If you want to give your toddler diamond earrings and they are secure then buy according to the size of her ear lobes. But then again - might the earrings scratch little hands?

Argh I don''t know
39.gif
...anybody?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 3:15:10 PM
Author: swingirl
Why do toddlers need diamond studs?
So they will be ready for the new BMW on their 16th.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:55:36 PM
Author: vslover

I know many adults that don''t have stones this big. That toddler would be blinging it out with 1/4 carat studs in each ear!

IMO if you really want to do studs on your toddler do a tiny bezel set stone (more secure and can''t catch on anything) like .10 or .20 tcw or something. Really tiny.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto neatfreak. .10 or .20 ctw.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 4:02:19 PM
Author: neatfreak

IMO if you really want to do studs on your toddler do a tiny bezel set stone (more secure and can''t catch on anything) like .10 or .20 tcw or something. Really tiny.
Ditto.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Here is my friend''s baby''s thread... She is 9 months old and she has these little diamond chips... I will buy her bigger ones when she gets older. The only thing you should consider is getting earrings with special backings, like screw backs. You want something where the backs won''t slip off. I agree with the others- .10 to .20 is big enough IMHO.
Ivy''s earrings

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What does the toddler get out of it? I would wait until she was old enough to decide for herself whether she wants to go through the pain of having her ears pierced, the discomfort of healing, and the risk of infection/allergies. Also, earrings can be irritating and hard to sleep in.

Sorry, I know you weren''t asking for advice about WHETHER to pierce a toddler''s ears, just about the size of the diamonds. So feel free to ignore this.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Whatever size diamond you are willing to lose. Toddlers will learn to remove the earrings and just throw them down wherever they happen to be. Good luck finding them! I'd get the cheapest hypoallergenic pair I could find until they get a bit older.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 5:16:08 PM
Author: glitterata
What does the toddler get out of it? I would wait until she was old enough to decide for herself whether she wants to go through the pain of having her ears pierced, the discomfort of healing, and the risk of infection/allergies. Also, earrings can be irritating and hard to sleep in.

Sorry, I know you weren''t asking for advice about WHETHER to pierce a toddler''s ears, just about the size of the diamonds. So feel free to ignore this.
7.gif

I just have to chime in...many cultures pierce the ears of their children very shortly after birth. My culture is one of them. I personally waited until my daughter was older and asked for them but I do respect the ways of many cultures. So to answer your question..the toddler isn''t getting anything out of it, it''s just cultural.
35.gif

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I think most toddlers would want at least 1 ct. If you go less than that they might feel inferior to other toddlers with larger rocks.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 5:55:48 PM
Author: RBsearch
I think most toddlers would want at least 1 ct. If you go less than that they might feel inferior to other toddlers with larger rocks.

Lol
3.gif

You're silly
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 4:02:19 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 2/12/2009 2:55:36 PM
Author: vslover
I know many adults that don''t have stones this big. That toddler would be blinging it out with 1/4 carat studs in each ear!

I know, seriously! I have a pair (poor quality, pre-PS) that are about .35ct each, and they feel too big to me. I''m planning somewhere down the road to get a pair of .2''s (.40ctw).

I would suggest maybe .10''s in bezels? (prongs may catch/scratch) This is a hard one - I can''t imagine putting diamonds on a child, so it''s hard for me to picture a good size!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, play nice - this is a diamond and jewelry forum, after all, people should be able to come here to ask questions about diamonds and jewelry without being made fun of
1.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don''t think i would buy any diamond studs for a toddler...but...if money or loss really was no object, i think i would go with what many of the others have suggested and get a bezel set pair, around 10-20 cttw. good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Tiffany''s tiniest bezel studs are 5 points each (.10 ctw). I''d want the tiniest ones possible just in case of loss. Plus, I think anything larger would look odd on a child.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 8:46:01 PM
Author: musey
Hey guys, play nice - this is a diamond and jewelry forum, after all, people should be able to come here to ask questions about diamonds and jewelry without being made fun of
1.gif
Ditto. Answer the question, and without ridicule. Or don''t post.
38.gif
That said, Flygirl is right. I can''t tell you how much jewelry I lost as a child (cultural). I agree with bezels .10-.20 ctw... and there are special backs for kids, you can''t have the point stabbing into the backs of their heads.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ditto .10 or .20 bezels with the special kid backings, and don''t be surprised if they lose them (unless kid backings are screwbacks, I don''t know). I''m planning on getting .25 in each ear soon and that seems big for a two year old.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even this looks big for a little toddler! (.30ctw pictured on an adult-sized "ear," from the BlueNile site)

Seems like .10-.20ctw is a good way to go. BEZELED.

v76d7b65f7nf98.png

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 8:49:52 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 2/12/2009 8:46:01 PM

Author: musey

1.gif
Ditto. Answer the question, and without ridicule. Or don't post.
38.gif
That said, Flygirl is right. I can't tell you how much jewelry I lost as a child (cultural). I agree with bezels .10-.20 ctw... and there are special backs for kids, you can't have the point stabbing into the backs of their heads.

Ditto, in my culture as well you pierce girls ears at birth usually.

I would only get teeeny tiny ones the smallest you can get.

From personal experience I would advise against the saftey ones as I had those a few times as a child and had to have them surgically removed
32.gif
, they apprently can't be pushed over a certain point but I managed it every single time and it was gross and painful to remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results