shape
carat
color
clarity

What size are your pearl studs?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Mine are 5mm, and I used to think that they look fine, but now that I've seen pictures of other people's studs I'm beginning to think mine look very small when I have them on.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My smallest studs are 8 to 9 mm but most are in the 10 to 12 mm range my perfered size in pearls earrings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I haven't worn pearls for a few weeks, when I first put my 7-7.5s on again they look *gigantic* - probably because my usual go to studs are 0.1ctw diamonds ::)

After wearing the 7-7.5s for a few days, though, they start to look small, and my 8-8.5mms look Just Right.

Kinda like with makeup - if I haven't bothered with blush for a few days just a hint of colour will do, after a few days I start thinking I look washed out with just that hint, and a little more would be perfect...

PSS!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1309574488|2960372 said:
If I haven't worn pearls for a few weeks, when I first put my 7-7.5s on again they look *gigantic* - probably because my usual go to studs are 0.1ctw diamonds ::)

After wearing the 7-7.5s for a few days, though, they start to look small, and my 8-8.5mms look Just Right.

Kinda like with makeup - if I haven't bothered with blush for a few days just a hint of colour will do, after a few days I start thinking I look washed out with just that hint, and a little more would be perfect...

PSS!

I'm performing a threadjack on my own thread but, Yssie, do you have any shots of your diamond studs. I think that .1ctw is probably what I could afford to get after selling some of my old jewellery, but I'd love to see what they look like.

Also, what's PSS?

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
That depends on lots of things. Your type of work (are you on the phone a lot during the day?), how large that portion of your ears are, and how you like it to look.

First of, studs tend to become loose if you use the phone during the day unless they are screwbacks. Just remember to tighten them after you hang up. Second and third, how do you like the pearls to be positioned? Right in the middle? If so, choose the size that would position the pearls in the middle, avg. I guess is 7-8mm or 8-9mm. Or if you like to have the large pearl look and don't mind them extending below your ears, choose larger sizes. See the link below and see how the model wears her large studs that extend below her ears.

http://www.maisondelaperle.pf/en/photographies-deperle-de-tahiti/251

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The pair I wear most are 8 to 8.5mm ( off white metallics from PP ). But I also have a couple pairs that are 6mm.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
pearl earrings in the 7-8mm range tend to be the biggest sellers if that helps any.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have 7.5 ish, 9.0 ish, and 10.5 ish. I get the most wear out of the largest pair since I like the size and they are the best quality out of the bunch. However, the smallest ones are button shaped and died black and the 9.0 ones are Tahitians so after getting the Tahitians the smaller earrings have stayed in the jewelry box. I am lusting after some 8.0 mm hanadama studs because the bigger sizes aren't always practical.

realismu

Rough_Rock
What kind of pearl studs do you have? For freshwater? Or?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1309598297|2960475 said:
Yssie|1309574488|2960372 said:

PSS!

I'm performing a threadjack on my own thread but, Yssie, do you have any shots of your diamond studs. I think that .1ctw is probably what I could afford to get after selling some of my old jewellery, but I'd love to see what they look like.

Also, what's PSS?

Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome :sick: :rodent:

Pics of the baby diamonds on p14 of this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-studs.51981/page-14']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-studs.51981/page-14[/URL] (they're in bezels).

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
realismu|1310366305|2966301 said:
What kind of pearl studs do you have? For freshwater? Or?

Is this a question for me? If so, I have no idea. They were a gift from my mother-in-law and I never asked for info on them.

My faves are my 8mm stud FWs and then 10mm tahitians. I also LOVEEEE my dangly 11-12mm south sea baroques.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My akoyas are 7 mm and they are perfect on my earlobes. My Tahitians are 10 mm and they are truly a bit too big and they emphasize the unevenness of my ear piercings. I also have an assortment of freshwater studs and they're all about 8mm.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping this thread! What is your preferred size pearl for stud earrings?

ETA: to add to my question, here are my 7.5mm akoyas and 9-10mm metallics. How much bigger do you think I could go? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

_29083.jpg

_29084.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The ones I find I'm wearing most of the time are flat baroque coins ( think of a round of bluetac squished) which are 15mm by 17mm

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see your earrings Pearlescence would you send us an ear shot!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
My metallic white FW pearls are 7-8mm but I got them for my second hole

fullsizerender_9.jpg fullsizerender_1_4.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
My 9mm Akoya studs are the ones I reach for all. the. time.

I have 10.5, but I like the 9. I also have 10mm button pearls that I wear a lot; I like the shape because they don't stick out so far.

I really like those 9-10 metallic. I might need a pair. :think:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence - another vote for photos please!

I feel like I need a pair of studs in every size...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10mm on my big fat earlobes.

poj_studs.jpg
pp_tahitian_studs.jpg

DK :))

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
DK they look fabulous! 10mm is a great size!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1429113581|3862297 said:

Crickett - I used to have a second piercing like yours but it closed up. I'm thinking of re piercing them. Do you wear the 7-8mms with a larger pair of pearls?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo said:
Bumping this thread! What is your preferred size pearl for stud earrings?

ETA: to add to my question, here are my 7.5mm akoyas and 9-10mm metallics. How much bigger do you think I could go? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Totally depends on the size of your earlobes and the piercing position too and of course your personal preference. I prefer my studs to be centered and not hang over the earlobe. I think my largest pearl studs are 9 mm and my dangles are 10-12 mm depending on the pair.

Ricezo, I love the 7.5mm akoyas on your ears. They are the perfect size on you IMO! I like the larger metallics too but I prefer the smaller akoyas because they are more centered and don't hang over. Though the metallics are dressier due to the size so would be amazing when you are dressed up to go out. I love dangles for even larger pearls. In any case they both look beautiful on your ears! :love:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Missy :wavey: Thanks for your advice! Would you believe it...I don't own a single pair of drop earrings, pearl or otherwise! I may need to fix this especially if I want to branch out to larger pearl sizes. I would love to see your pearl earrings!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1429119285|3862357 said:
My 9mm Akoya studs are the ones I reach for all. the. time.

I have 10.5, but I like the 9. I also have 10mm button pearls that I wear a lot; I like the shape because they don't stick out so far.

I really like those 9-10 metallic. I might need a pair. :think:

Ennui - I highly recommend them! They are so lustrous too - you can even see the pink polka dots on my iPhone case here! Also, I think they will be on sale next Thursday as part of the maven collection!

_29172.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with missy -- I tend to go for dangle earrings with larger pearls. I really like 11-12mm pearls on those, but I don't think I'd like 11-12mm studs on me. I have long dark hair and large white pearls in dangle style is the only way they get to be seen.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are mine.

8 mm akoya:

9mm Tahitian (sorry for the weird pink light...although I'm in my bathrobe with wet hair, so I might have been lobstering from the shower...the curse of fair skin!):

11mm metallic:

Colour is only true in the last picture.

_29192.jpg

_29193.jpg

_29194.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1429113581|3862297 said:

I can only wear a certain type of earring on my lower hole for now because the lobe hole is stretched (It used to be gauged a long time ago) so I have to wear dangle or drop earrings where it joins in the back. They are almost closed enough to wear studs again, so when that happens I will most definitely be getting some larger MM studs for them (I've been eyeing GSSPs)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Crickett - your metallics will look amazing with a larger pair when the time comes! You inspired me to re-pierce my ears today! 7.5mm Miki akoyas with 3mm surgical steel CZs. I can't wait to wear my 4mm sapphires with the pearls.

_29213.jpg

_29214.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1429417505|3864338 said:
Crickett - your metallics will look amazing with a larger pair when the time comes! You inspired me to re-pierce my ears today! 7.5mm Miki akoyas with 3mm surgical steel CZs. I can't wait to wear my 4mm sapphires with the pearls.

Looks gorgeous on you! I love the 7.5 mm akoyas with the 3 mm studs. Great look and I know you cannot wait to put different earrings in the new piercing but this looks fantastic for now too. Perfect proportion IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results