shape
carat
color
clarity

What sides for an Emerald Center?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting although not my first time visiting here.
I''m posting because my BF has purchased my diamond but he wants my thoughts on how to set it and I just don''t know! There are so many choices and options I don''t have the first clue as to what to choose. I''d love to get some ideas from all of you. He won''t tell me the specs or size but only to say it is an emerald cut which I''ve lusted over for so long.
I''d like a setting that has sides but just am not sure whether to go a thin shank pave'' route (like Leon Mege) or perhaps baguette sides (in the Harry Winston fashion) or perhaps emerald sides. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I also have an EC center stone. It is surrounded with baguettes sitting 2 by 2. There are 2 sets on each side of the EC. The wedding band matches and has an additional set of baguettes in the center to be continuous where the EC sits on the E-ring. My avatar shows my ring. I love it and there''s a whole lot of BLING that sparkles in the sun!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
What are the dimension of your stone? Is it square or rectangle? What are your personal tastes, or style? Do you like pave, plain, antique, thin bands or wide? How do you want your wedding band to fit against it? There are so many considerations as you must already know. And so starts the endless journey for THE RING!!! Good luck.

Have you gone through the folder at the top of the Show Me The Ring forum? I believe it has everybodies beauties in it....except mine
33.gif

I can''t commit to a single design myself, that''s why I''ve been here searching for inspiration. Yesterday I went to see what a local B&M had so I could try them on. After trying all the ones that appealed to me I had to ask if there were any others......she said no! Urrrgh.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must confess a certain weekness for the emerald cuts... especially paired with emerald cut sides or step cut traps. Sort of like these rings to the right in the attached image
1.gif

Baguettes are great too - especially if small (like the ring from Nelson's).

Have you seen Windownshoper's ring ? take a look on the "Leon Mege" thread on SMTR !

3ECx.JPG

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
AChiOAlumna - your ring is gorgeous! I''ve seen your avatar before and remember drooling over long before I even knew I wanted an emerald cut! Do you have any hand shots of your ring? I can see just in the avatar how much bling it would be!

cnspotts - the emerald is longer in length than in width so it''s rectangular. I am more of a modern/traditional type, I''m not into the antique look and I don''t love ultra modern either. What I''m most concerned about is that I already know I''ll be getting a round diamond eternity band as my wedding gift (we''re not much for surprises LOL!). So I''m trying to figure out how to work that in with a emerald ering. Isn''t it tough to make a decision? LOL!

valeria101 - I love trapezoids! You''ve attached some great pics and I want every one of them! It''s so hard to make a decision because I''m afraid I''ll pick one and then wish I did another! I''ll have to check out Windownshoper''s ring for I don''t think I''ve seen that one yet.

My question is how do you pick just one??????!!!!
3.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
sparkle...

Thanks so much!! Here''s some hand shots for you....some of them aren''t the best quality (the pix that is!), but it gives you an idea in different lighting!!!

AchiOCollage.jpg

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of the Nelson Rarities ring with the two baguettes. A classic, beautiful style.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Personally I''ve always loved emerald cuts with step-cut traps as side stones. I''m not as big a fan as others of Baguettes but that''s just me. I think emerald cuts look very pretty with a pave band too. Oh, I can see why you''re having problems! Hehe. I''ve drifted away from getting an EC for my e-ring, but when I was infatuated with them this was my favourite setting:

kozminskyboth.jpg

(although with more delicate prongs - those ones are too much.)

But I also think step-cut traps would look gorgeous, very classy :)

Just keep in mind with an EC whether the e-ring will sit flush with the w-band and if not, whether you will care about that later.

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
AChiOAlumna - I''m blinded by how much bling you have! Wow, that must be incredible in the light, you''d need sunglasses!!!! Wear that beauty in good sparkle!!!!

Indecisive - the setting you posted actually looks really nice with the pave stones. I kept thinking it wouldn''t because I thought rounds and emerald cuts wouldn''t match, but that is beautiful! It''s definitely giving me some ideas! In that setting the emerald just pops!! I love traps too, ugh, there are just too many choices out there to choose from!

pearcrazy - I love the look of baguettes too, that''s why I''m having so much trouble making up my mind! BF told me that if I don''t make up my mind soon, he''ll have it set in a solitaire setting and I can worry about a semi mount for as long as I want! He just wants to give me the ring as it''s been 2 months and I''ve not been able to make a decision!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2005 11:18:37 PM
Author: Indecisive
Personally I''ve always loved emerald cuts with step-cut traps as side stones. I''m not as big a fan as others of Baguettes but that''s just me. I think emerald cuts look very pretty with a pave band too. Oh, I can see why you''re having problems! Hehe. I''ve drifted away from getting an EC for my e-ring, but when I was infatuated with them this was my favourite setting:

But I also think step-cut traps would look gorgeous, very classy :)

Just keep in mind with an EC whether the e-ring will sit flush with the w-band and if not, whether you will care about that later.

indecisive...I''m usually not one for pave, but this picture you''ve posted compliments the EC so beautifully!! I especially like it with the w-band...VERY CLASSY!!

Sparkle...what you may want to do is go online to a large "maul" type company for IDEA SAKES ONLY!! Robbins Bros (gasp!!) has a huge selection and you can click on each of the diamond shapes and it''ll appear in the setting to give you an idea of what styles you might like. I''m not saying to go in to the store, but if you''re having THAT much difficulty, checking out such sites isn''t always a bad idea...

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on!!

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Well... my future RHR will be an EC center for certain. With sapphire sides.

Still not certain if I want traps (or bullets or half-moons or...) but I like a pave band, maybe a split shank pave band. And I want Leon Mege to do it!
Here''s one of my saved pics: mine will be diamond center/sapph sides.
3.gif

RHRidea2.jpg

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve always like traps for an emerald, like the one they have at Signed Pieces:

6707.jpg

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
AChiOAlumna - that's a great idea about going to the huge store types to try and different ring styles. I hadn't even thought of that! I also work near the diamond district so I really should make good use of lunch time and go sparkle hunting!

bluedawg - that ring you posted is goregous! It looks just like an EC one they show on SMTR forum but with a sapphire center. I love that shank! Are those traps or baguettes in that ring????

luckyhonu - traps are awesome. I'm really starting to check those out more and more. I like the smaller traps against a larger center, it shows off the center more.

elmo65

Rough_Rock
My sister has a 2 carat with tapered baguettes and it is so classic and beautiful!!! Those pictures are not of tapered baguettes and I don''t have any pics, but I know there is a picture in Tiffany''s diamond handbook and maybe on line?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
sparklechick...which Diamond District do you work near? LA? NYC? Chicago? I would recommend internet surfing the bigger stores first. If you find a setting you like, then you can go in...why feel railroaded if you dnow that store doesn''t have what you want anyway?? But then again, to try on rings is so much fun!!!

bluedawg...I
30.gif
that blue sappphire EC!! Gorgeous!! I like the setting as well...

Luckyhonu also posted a gorgeous 3-diamond example with different shapes (EC/traps) but still VERY complimentary!!

How fun for you!!

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
AChiOAlumna - I work in midtown in NY. I''ve walked through the diamond district once before on my way to my optometrist and was having so much fun window shopping! I think ''shopping'' online would be best first because I''d hate to have the sales people help me and then me walk away!
A friend of mine just called and she got engaged and wouldn''t you know it but she got an Emerald cut diamond for her ering! She said hers is set Harry Winston style with baguettes so now I feel I have to get something different than hers. HUMPF! Well, I was starting to like the trapezoids anyway!

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sparklechick! I have attached a picture of my emerald cut e-ring with trilliants. I like trapezoids better, especially with the proportions of the niceice one posted way above, but I thought I would throw this into the mix to give you more food for thought. Have fun!!!

ETA How do I delete a picture and resubmit? I didn't realize how HUGE this one is but I don't know how to get rid of it so I can repost smaller one.

CRW_6387_RJ.jpg

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
momothree - your ring is gorgeous!! Ooo, the tirllions look really nice too! How will I ever decide?! There is just too much to choose from. I should just have him set it in a solitaire and than figure it out later!!!!! Although I think if I don''t decide now...I never willl!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2005 12:28:06 PM
Author: sparklechick
momothree - your ring is gorgeous!! Ooo, the tirllions look really nice too! How will I ever decide?! There is just too much to choose from. I should just have him set it in a solitaire and than figure it out later!!!!! Although I think if I don''t decide now...I never willl!

You know...you could do that...get a plain solitare now and when you finally decide, upgrade the setting...Then it''ll be like getting your e-ring twice!!!
9.gif

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
AChiOAlumna - mmm, that''s a good point!! I like the sound of that even though BF is starting to grind his teeth LOL!!!

What do you think of this setting? They can change out the head to accomodate an emerald and I like the diamond sides...

0.24 ctw in engagement ring (22 diamonds)
0.29 ctw in band (25 diamonds)
G-H color/SI1-SI2 clarity

ec setting.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2005 4:26:49 PM
Author: sparklechick

AChiOAlumna - mmm, that''s a good point!! I like the sound of that even though BF is starting to grind his teeth LOL!!!

What do you think of this setting? They can change out the head to accomodate an emerald and I like the diamond sides...

0.24 ctw in engagement ring (22 diamonds)
0.29 ctw in band (25 diamonds)
G-H color/SI1-SI2 clarity
hey sparklechick,
i like this set very much! i''m having a hard time picturing what an ec would look like in it though. do you have another view of this set from the front?

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
I wish I had photoshop so I could show what it would look like. Here is another shot of it. I''m trying to get an idea too of what it would look like but it''s not easy!!!

ec 2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
now, i'm not saying this is a good rendition....i just threw it together quick like so we could get an idea.......and so... we get an idea...
2.gif

quickemeraldset.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle,
That''s awesome, thanks!!!
36.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Belle beat me to the punch, which is probably good because for some reason, I can't the pic to upload properly

EC%Test copy.jpg

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
Belle, that''s awesome!!! Wow!!! Thanks so much!

So what do ya''ll think...good for an Emerald or not??????

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I like it with the EC stone. It''s a very classic look...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think i like it! the clean lines of the ec work well with the engraving and diamonds. do we have a winner?
36.gif

sparklechick

Rough_Rock
I think we do!!!!! This might be it!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Or at least until I change my mind again!! Argh!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, it''s a winner in my book!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results