shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I put in this funky 1960s setting?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I fell for this swirly, textured 14K setting from--I'm guessing--the 1960s. If you know me you'll laugh, it is so not my style. (I'm a Victorian, with Georgian and Deco leanings.) Unfortunately, it's set with the world's ugliest diamond: terrible cut, not that it matters with the I3 clarity. Okay, the color could be worse. So I need a new 5mm stone. But what?

Given how utterly un-me this ring is, I want to spend the bare minimum on a stone for it, but I do want it to be pleasing. A lab ruby? A well cut lab diamond? Something else? What do you think would look good--or appropriate--or hilarious--in there?

Thanks, jewelry friends!

IMG_5456.jpeg IMG_5446.jpeg IMG_5447.jpeg IMG_5449.jpeg IMG_5451.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@glitterata -

Out of curiosity - what size is that diamond? And...<mumbles quietly>...I actually love that setting....

Caveat - I'm on a loooootta pain meds right now....

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love this swirly bark-like setting!
A colored stone would be lovely!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This swirly nest-y setting really appeals to me too!

I think any 5mm stone would pop, but if this were mine (!) I would probably go with a white diamond or a blue sapphire or blue zircon -- I would even consider a 5mm pearl though not in the present 4-prong basket (as I think the pearl would sit too high).

I hope you keep us in the loop as to your choice and final outcome so we can share in your process journey!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love the turquoise idea! Sadly, it would immediately turn green, because that's what happens to turquoises when they come anywhere near me. However, blue zircon is a delightful idea too! I have two of them that I've never set, but they're both 6mm and this setting is for a 5mm stone--that's how big the Abysmal Diamond is and the 4-prong basket holding it. I don't know if there's room for a bigger basket/stone. Hm. I could ask a jeweler to take a look.

Oh, here's another thought. I have a silver "blue moon" ring from Lightbox that I bought a couple years ago at a steep discount. It's set with one of their baby blue diamonds that seems to be about 4.5mm--it's hard to get a good measure with my awkward plastic caliper and the setting getting in the way, but I think the blue diamond would fit in the gold setting, though it's not as big as the bad diamond. I like the Lightbox ring, but I don't wear it much. Maybe I should put the blue Lightbox diamond in there, at least for now? It's not super blue, just sort of tinted, the way diamonds in the lower reaches of the alphabet are tinted yellow. The disadvantage would be ruining the blue moon ring, which I do like, even though I don't wear it very often. It's this ring. The diamond in the photo is deceptively blue--it isn't nearly that blue in real life. https://www.reeds.com/lightbox-blue-lab-grown-diamond-moon-ring-1-2ctw-plulbmoon.html

I now officially have too many blue sapphire rings, so that's one thing I don't want to put in this setting. So at least that narrows it down by ONE stone, leaving only ALL OTHER STONES. Well, I guess except turquoise (turns green for me) and this particular hideous diamond.

Decisions! They are so hard!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the textured YG. I suggest lab blue or teal sapphire, or lab ruby.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting! I think any kind of colored stone would be fabulous in there.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest a bright blue sapphire, but just saw that you have too many sapphires. My next choice would be a neon green emerald. I love a strong colour against yellow gold. It just makes everything pop.

And also…… I too love this setting. But like @mrs-b I am on strong painkillers for my cracked ribs :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An ocean blue stone, like a blue Zircon.

DK :))

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
((crawls out of covid isolation to chime in))

Something opaque like angelskin coral (if it's legal to source), turquoise, or an opal.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I fell for this swirly, textured 14K setting from--I'm guessing--the 1960s. If you know me you'll laugh, it is so not my style. (I'm a Victorian, with Georgian and Deco leanings.) Unfortunately, it's set with the world's ugliest diamond: terrible cut, not that it matters with the I3 clarity. Okay, the color could be worse. So I need a new 5mm stone. But what?

Given how utterly un-me this ring is, I want to spend the bare minimum on a stone for it, but I do want it to be pleasing. A lab ruby? A well cut lab diamond? Something else? What do you think would look good--or appropriate--or hilarious--in there?

Thanks, jewelry friends!

IMG_5456.jpeg IMG_5446.jpeg IMG_5447.jpeg IMG_5449.jpeg IMG_5451.jpeg

oh wow its gorgeous !
i love the setting
how about a big bold coloured stone
what is your favourite colour ?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pretty jade, Sardinian red coral, lapis lazuli, or a pearl( white or Tahitian color even a baroque pearl to conform to the setting) in other words something opaque. A nonfaceted stone with that setting which I love btw- would be stunning and not so expensive. Especially if you go the fresh water pearl route. But you may have issues with setting a pearl. I am not a fan of a faceted stone with that setting unless perhaps a cabachon cut semi precious stone like a deep purple Amy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results